Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

44 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I’d be alright with Cadden moving on this summer to be honest. 

What else can he realistically do here? He’s played well over a 100 games, played in 2 cup finals, a top six finish and even got capped for Scotland. 

He’s stagnated in recent times and it feels like now is the right time for him to move on. Let him get the fresh start and a new challenge it sounds like he wants, while we get a sizeable chunk of compensation.

Everyone’s a winner. 

100%.

On the face of it the sizeable chunk of compensation seems to be the stumbling block. Any teams who are likely to be interested in him are going to be hesitant to pay it and while there may be some flexibility on our part to come to an arrangement I don't see us being generous in terms of the overall valuation.

According to a note in this year's accounts (page 28):

The Company has extended the period under which Loan repayments due to Mr L Hutchison and Mr J Boyle are based on a percentage of player transfer income for a further twelve month period.

The original agreement was that it was for an initial 3 years after the WS ownership went through. I mean, it seems to be working and looking at the likes of Campbell, Turnbull et al there are enough sellable assets for them to feel they'll get their money back one way or another. Not that Les seems in too much of a hurry given the Double Your Money stuff.

That said, you'd think adding a chunk of cash for Cadden to the money for Hastie (whatever it ends up being) and McKinstry would go some way to clearing that debt. Which would be a "good thing".

Edited by capt_oats

Usually I think fans can get carried away with valuations but Motherwell need to hold their nerve here. Forget his value in terms of what he earns just now etc... Clubs are bidding for a player with huge potential. I really do think you should be looking for £5 million.

Where would we be without the traditional low-ball offer from Celtic - used to cause a bit of seethe, now they are just funny.

Turnbull will leave in the next couple of windows and we all accept that - but there is literally no point in him going to another club unless its with a view to being a starting player - the reserves of a bigger club will do nothing for his development at this point. 

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

Where would we be without the traditional low-ball offer from Celtic - used to cause a bit of seethe, now they are just funny.

Turnbull will leave in the next couple of windows and we all accept that - but there is literally no point in him going to another club unless its with a view to being a starting player - the reserves of a bigger club will do nothing for his development at this point. 

A club like Derby under Lampard you would think would be the ideal place to develop, playing under a manager who was thee goal scoring midfielder, Lampard also relied heavily on youth, mason mount, Harry Wilson and it stood him well for the most part. 

This Alan Burrows is some boy by the looks of it. Getting Celtc telt directly via twitter that they won’t accept their shitey lowball offers for their best player. Outstanding.

Be prepared for a summers worth of Celtc da’s pelting every club tweet with patter about Turnbull not being good enough for them and that Motherwell should just be happy with whatever their club is offering for him.

I love the idea that Celtic fans - whose club have been unsettling/tapping up players using tame tabloid hacks for decades are getting upset at a club "doing their business on twitter"...

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The full thread of this absolute telt is a beaut.

5cf0f5884b806_ScreenShot2019-05-31at10_35_14.png.19ddde96b1e951ac17652f983c730d22.png

Is he the only CEO/Chairman that does this? I think he deserves a lot of credit for all the stuff he does engage on as dealing with OF mouth breathers must be one of the worst jobs going...

Stuart Gilmour used to engage a bit on Twitter, but he always came across looking like a bit of a dafty, while Burrows seems to be a lot better at it. Our chairman Billy Bowie is on Twitter, but he doesn't tend to go beyond platitudes.

If I was fortunate enough to be in Turnbull's position then Celtic wouldn't even be an option for me. Hopefully he has enough belief in his own ability to aim higher than that.
I could see a case for him going there if Rodgers was still the manager or they'd got someone as good/better, but he'd be stupid to go to Celtic now given that there will be better clubs and coaches after him.

8 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
18 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
If I was fortunate enough to be in Turnbull's position then Celtic wouldn't even be an option for me. Hopefully he has enough belief in his own ability to aim higher than that.

I could see a case for him going there if Rodgers was still the manager or they'd got someone as good/better, but he'd be stupid to go to Celtic now given that there will be better clubs and coaches after him.

That's a fair point.

Given how Rodgers developed players like McGregor & Armstrong, it would make a bit of sense to down that route.  But to go and work under Neil Lennon and Garry Parker?  :lol: 

Like Ron says, he should be aiming higher than that.