Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Wes Fletcher has looked fucking miserable in every photo ever taken of him. 

Exactly!*

*I do realise that by using this system, Bigi should have been at Messi levels of quality.

Genuinely no idea if the news announcements are just ghosted or not but I see Robinson's quoted as saying he can play across the front 3.

“He’s got pace to burn, has an incredible work rate and can play anywhere across the front three, which will give us plenty of variety going forward.”

Going back to @Casagolda's point earlier about the striker situation the fact that it seems out default this season is going to be 433 surely means that Johnson is indeed destined for a season on the bench.

Incidentally I see Long was playing with Beneghan last season.

Also:

Spoiler

Yes it's a Development game. Yes it looks like it's played on a public park but....oooooooft.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, CSmith said:

Good to see that SO have already written off the new guy and Robinson’s recruitment strategy is already flawed and poor. God I love pre-pre-season...

SO is a fucking weird place. The wild extent of knee-jerk is pretty much why I sacked off posting there (though I admit I take a peek every now and again).

Fwiw: Long's goalscoring record, which I'm guessing is the issue, is largely similar to Tanner.

Craig Tanner (24) - 22 in 144 games
Chris Long (24) - 22 in 133 games

Long's played mostly at Championship/League 1 level too whereas Tanner was largely League 2 with Plymouth.

It's almost as if he might not be intended as a #9...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

I was gonna say, that’s both him and Hylton been signed as ‘forwards’, with neither looking like the traditional ‘no 9’ we’ve all being talking about- the focal point if you will. 

So I’d imagine/think that’s still to come? Unless we’re just going for a fluid, interchangeable front three for next season.  

9 hours ago, Munoz said:

Motherwell can hardly take credit for Lambert who had 10years at St Mirren previous to a short stay at Fir Park.

10 year a jobber. We saw he had a player in there, brought it out.

I love a signing. Who knows what any of them will be like.

36 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I was gonna say, that’s both him and Hylton been signed as ‘forwards’, with neither looking like the traditional ‘no 9’ we’ve all being talking about- the focal point if you will. 

So I’d imagine/think that’s still to come? Unless we’re just going for a fluid, interchangeable front three for next season.  

4 rampaging wingers, outside left, inside left, inside right, outside right, no striker, the 4 of them marauding forward, we’ll go down in history

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Aye, roughly speaking this is where it looks like we are just now (subject to change obvs). Long could easily be the back-up FC but looking at some of the goals he's scored a lot of them have been from outside the box so if he's able to cut inside and ping them then who knows...

I'd say we're 3 starting players short (ie: the front 3).

5cfece4a34174_ScreenShot2019-06-10at22_39_49.png.bf65f65ade8f9ab4017704b0100813ca.png

Edited by capt_oats

I generally think if young players are good enough they're probably better served trying to break into the first team but I'd make an exception for strikers, and maybe centre backs.

I'll admit that I initially thought Scott looked like a big blonde shithousing huddy and didn't really get the hype, but you could see his confidence grow over the course of his first extended run and the technical facets of his game shone through a bit more. Another 6 months of consistent game time on loan somewhere would be pretty beneficial.

Stylistically he reminds me of Lee Erwin a bit, an absolute unit with surprisingly good feet,if a bit chaotic. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

For your own sake dont read WAP, especially Cageys posts. Unless hes personally seen players play like Messi then they're shite.

For those who took this advice. Our fans now believe you should accept £2m for Turnbull as "it's a lot of money" and you've got lots of debt, apparently. 

Talk of a potential £5m fee is "dreamland" stuff because he plays for Motherwell.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I generally think if young players are good enough they're probably better served trying to break into the first team but I'd make an exception for strikers, and maybe centre backs.

I'll admit that I initially thought Scott looked like a big blonde shithousing huddy and didn't really get the hype, but you could see his confidence grow over the course of his first extended run and the technical facets of his game shone through a bit more. Another 6 months of consistent game time on loan somewhere would be pretty beneficial.

Stylistically he reminds me of Lee Erwin a bit, an absolute unit with surprisingly good feet,if a bit chaotic. 

Appreciate this is a bit; I was there in 1968.  I was there at the first Can show in Cologne. I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City. I was working on the organ sounds with much patience. I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band. I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime."

Anyway, I'm pretty sure *cough* I was at a few of Scott's first appearances for the u20s and you could tell it was a step up for him physically and in terms of level. He was 15 or something. He'd get into good positions and either hit the keeper if it was a 1 v 1 or shank the ball wide. The more he played and the more he got a bit of confidence he seemed to find his feet and the more adjusted he got the more started to score regularly.

It definitely felt like it was the case he was still finding his feet in the run of games he got at the tail end of the season.

As @Swello was saying yesterday if he can get a 6 month loan where he can get regular games and get into the habit of scoring goals in a first team environment then there's no reason he can't come back in January and contribute to the first team. What's more is that you can actually see exactly where he fits in our XI.

Also...the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.

Edited by capt_oats