Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Hmmm. I'm happy with Keepers, Defence and Mid - can't help thinking that for all the potential, we don't have one even half-proven striker at our level and that is surely a bit of a risk.

Aye, if we were going to do anything today I was hopeful it would be adding bit of quality in the final third.  

O’Hara is a decent enough signing, I’m sure he’ll do fine. As @capt_oats says, he probably does offer something a bit different to our current midfield options. My only minor gripe is he’s a short term loan signing, who pushes the likes of Maguire and Semple a bit further down the pecking order. 

As for Tanner, I find it hard to be outraged. The fact we were only offering him another contract till January suggests the club were far from convinced about his long term prospects of returning to regular football at this level. As such, any contract offer would probably only have covered his petrol money. If he can secure himself a longer deal for more money elsewhere after 18 months out then good luck to him. 

I hadn't seen the reaction to Tanner's departure until I switched on my phone a short while ago, some of it strikes me as madness.

The guy has been out of action for 16 months, we'd said we would keep him on in, but he was still some distance off being match ready. Now either he doesn't believe that's the case and has decided to find somewhere else or he's accepted that the injury is something he's unlikely to recover from. 

Mock outrage over being screwed over seems a bit much. 

You can't overlook the mental side of things with Tanner. He said himself, the last year so was a nightmare for him. 

A fresh start, closer to home, might be better for him. I wish him all the best. Some laugh for a single player to have Dundee on toast for a full season. 

The way I read the quotes from the article is that he had knocked us back and that had left us disappointed given what we had done to get him back and wanted to keep going so he could be an asset, and that left a real sour taste.

If, as people I trust are suggesting, that in actual fact he's dropping down to just play football as he knows he can't do it at this level, then that's different and understandable but the article, to my first glance, was not that.

In a related story, Ellis Plummer retired today.

6 hours ago, Swello said:

Hmmm. I'm happy with Keepers, Defence and Mid - can't help thinking that for all the potential, we don't have one even half-proven striker at our level and that is surely a bit of a risk.

I'm wondering if it's simply a case that we've been patched by our "starting XI" targets (hiya Kyle, hiya pal). If nothing else it looks like Robinson's been true to his word in terms of not bringing anyone in to just "make up the numbers". It definitely feels like we're running a bit lighter than previous seasons.

In honesty looking at things it's pretty slim pickings in the "frozen out/free to a good home" market that we'd have been shopping.

Even someone like Murphy who clearly wasn't for everyone on this thread but probably ticked some boxes for us - his situation may well have changed as soon as Jones launched himself into Bauer and ended up broken (lol).

There's no getting away from the fact that we're pinning a lot on Long and big Devante coming good though. There's always the out of contract market I suppose.

As the window SLAMS shut it looks like this is our squad:

285178469_ScreenShot2019-09-02at19_37_10.png.f37a526f48f5f1e39bae922c013ad4c0.png 2008063186_ScreenShot2019-09-03at01_14_12.png.c5a09eaad9f4f5ab08a9a3fcf4cf604c.png

Total: 22 + Semple
2 loans: Cole (6 months), O'Hara (season)
1 long term injury: Turnbull

It's good the Livingstone and Tanner questions were dealt with and tbh it's the right outcome in both cases.

Fwiw: this was our squad at the same point last season.

GK: Carson, Gillespie, Ferguson
DF: Tait, Taylor-Sinclair, Aldred, Hartley, Dunne, Mbulu, Donnelly
MF: McHugh, Cadden, Campbell, Frear, Grimshaw, Rose, Bigirimana, Gorrin
FW: Main, Bowman, Newell, Sammon, Johnson, Tanner

Total: 24 + Turnbull, Maguire, Livingstone
2 loans: Aldred (season), Sammon (season)
1 long term injury: Tanner

Edited by capt_oats

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm wondering if it's simply a case that we've been patched by our "starting XI" targets (hiya Kyle, hiya pal). If nothing else it looks like Robinson's been true to his word in terms of not bringing anyone in to just "make up the numbers". It definitely feels like we're running a bit lighter than previous seasons.

In honesty looking at things it's pretty slim pickings in the "frozen out/free to a good home" market that we'd have been shopping.

Even someone like Murphy who clearly wasn't for everyone on this thread but probably ticked some boxes for us - his situation may well have changed as soon as Jones launched himself into Bauer and ended up broken (lol).

There's no getting away from the fact that we're pinning a lot on Long and big Devante coming good though. There's always the out of contract market I suppose.

285178469_ScreenShot2019-09-02at19_37_10.png.f37a526f48f5f1e39bae922c013ad4c0.png 2008063186_ScreenShot2019-09-03at01_14_12.png.c5a09eaad9f4f5ab08a9a3fcf4cf604c.png

It's good the Livingstone and Tanner questions were dealt with and tbh it's the right outcome in both cases.

What suggests Ilic is the back up LB when he's been nowhere near LB in any of his apps?

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

What suggests Ilic is the back up LB when he's been nowhere near LB in any of his apps?

Fair question.

I'm just going by the fact that prior to him pitching up here he was apparently playing as a left back/defender. The footage I watched of his 2 friendlies playing for Sepsi before he cancelled his contract he was playing left back.

Information about him is pretty sketchy so there's not a lot of info about him for reference but when he signed his Wiki had him down as a defender, though it's since been edited.

It's the absolute worst citation but his FM profile has him as a left back. I'm taking it to be that's his natural position and it's us who are trying to turn him into a right winger.

19-40465-christian-ilic.jpg

Having said all that I'd imagine our back-up left back will be Tait or Dunne like.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fair question.

I'm just going by the fact that prior to him pitching up here he was apparently playing as a left back/defender. The footage I watched of his 2 friendlies playing for Sepsi before he cancelled his contract he was playing left back.

Information about him is pretty sketchy so there's not a lot of info about him for reference but when he signed his Wiki had him down as a defender, though it's since been edited.

It's the absolute worst citation but his FM profile has him as a left back. I'm taking it to be that's his natural position and it's us who are trying to turn him into a right winger.

19-40465-christian-ilic.jpg

Having said all that I'd imagine our back-up left back will be Tait or Dunne like.

Its not the worst citation at all. FM/Sports Interactive data is very highly respected within the game, to the point that at least one top club pay SI an license so they can use it as part of their scouting process.

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Who needs strikers when you have Donnelly. However interesting to note from the above that none of the forwards from last season are here this. All 6 now out of the door. 

Probably why this has been the area of focus for fans at least. Looking at the 6 are any of them a real loss. Bowman maybe and he seems to be doing well for Exeter. 

Early days and we don’t know if Mazinga has real promise. I like Long and he imho is a step up from most if not all of the previous 6. Cole for me is the one that excites me. Thought he looked good on Saturday albeit easier to do when you are winning. 

6 hours ago, actonsheep said:

Its not the worst citation at all. FM/Sports Interactive data is very highly respected within the game, to the point that at least one top club pay SI an license so they can use it as part of their scouting process.

Is this not Everton?  I'm sure I read a while back they did something like that with the guys from FM.