Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

No idea tbh.

I was just having a look at the announcement of his sale:

Our accounts are public record and section 32. Events after the reporting date for accounts up to 31st May 2018 is as follows: "Cedric Kipre's player registration was sold to Wigan Athletic and this amounted to £750,000 excluding direct costs and future contingent fees.

So presumably the £750k was an initial payment subject to extras - Wigan apparently settled the full balance last season (it was The Scottish Sun who mentioned it when they were reporting the Hastie loan, I won't link to it - the copy is below).

The problem I suppose is that Wigan are in administration and Kipré's about to go into the final year of his contract. There's also the fact that he (and other players) haven't been paid for June...I'm not sure Wigan have that much leverage if a decent-ish offer comes in.

Based on that it'd seem we'd be due a % of anything they get over £1m - unless there's some wacky clause in the agreement.

Knew you were the man for the job, cheers. 

Admin, as you say, complicates things slightly but with the fees down there for any half way decent athletic defender I can still see him going for a pretty penny. As a guess say £5/6/7 million+

8 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Knew you were the man for the job, cheers. 

Admin, as you say, complicates things slightly but with the fees down there for any half way decent athletic defender I can still see him going for a pretty penny. As a guess say £5/6/7 million+

Reading that quote from Burrows back it's not exactly reaching to think that any sell on must be reasonable if he was quoted as saying that the deal had the "potential to be the most lucrative" in the club's history.

I mean, yes...the key word is potential and that sort of language matters but if the upfront fee was £750k per the accounts we're looking at another £1m coming from somewhere to match the O'Donnell fee and I suppose the cumulative money from McFadden would come into that conversation as well.

Edited by capt_oats

I cannot remember for the life of me where it came from, but I remember at the time someone saying that our sell-on was ridiculous.

I do wonder if we'd perhaps sacrifice a slice of sell-on for them releasing Lang, for example.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Reading that quote from Burrows back it's not exactly reaching to think that any sell on must be reasonable if he was quoted as saying that the deal had the "potential to be the most lucrative" in the club's history.

I mean, yes...the key word is potential and that sort of language matters but if the upfront fee was £750k per the accounts we're looking at another £1m coming from somewhere to match the O'Donnell fee and I suppose the cumulative money from McFadden would come into that conversation as well.

Any idea what we ultimately made on Marvin Johnson?  

59 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Any idea what we ultimately made on Marvin Johnson?  

That's a bit more difficult to work out as that sale went through when we were publishing abbreviated accounts for a small company so it doesn't have the same detail as the full accounts.

There's an entry in the accounts made up to 31 May 2017 re: his sell on though.

21. Post Balance sheet events

- Ben Heneghan's player registration was sold to Sheffield United and following Marvin Johnson's transfer from Oxford United to Middlesborough, the Club became entitled to compensation in respect of his sell on clause. These amounted to £720,000 in total excluding direct costs and future contingent fees.

The full accounts for 31 May 2018 include an entry in the income section re: Player registration gains (2016/17) it amounts to £555,369 (the players moved that season were Pearson, Josh Law and Johnson). Law left on a free so it's only Pearson and Johnson whose fees were "undisclosed".

So you don't get a specific total but looking at those numbers you'd think maybe somewhere between £750k-£850k...£900k at a push? Assuming Heneghan was somewhere between £300k-£400k and Pearson a nominial £50k-£100k.

Edited by capt_oats

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's included in the £720,000 mentioned re: him and Heneghan.

I've no idea if we'd get anything further from Oxford if he was to move on from Boro.

Yeah realised I hadn't read properly earlier - multitasking fail!

Guest superward

I'm sure I heard Johnson was 4 installments of about 200k each time plus a sell on. 

Edited by superward

Out of interest, are the press aware that our pitch is in fairly decent nick or are they still stuck in a time warp where we had games called off because the pitch doubled as a farmer's field?

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Also...

Ec-9tmhWoAAQL71?format=jpg&name=large

Normally photos like that have the desired effect and have me gagging to be at Fir Park - but the fact that we'll be nowhere near the old place for months just brings on the weltschmerz.

Pitch looks fucking great mind you.