Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

25 minutes ago, welldaft said:

You could have fooled us.......

You could, not have been more underwhelmed if you tried. 

I look it at from the POV we have signed a player with a fair chunk of recent Scotland caps. I may have thought at the time he was a stop gap but it is still a signing that we’re it not for Covid would never of happened. 

You also look at Craigkillie appraisal and that will do me nicely. 

Sadly we all know he will be played out of position until we get a fully fit left back. I honestly don’t know whether moving Lamie back to CB and playing SOD at LB is better than simply playing SOD at right back in place of Grimmy.  I thought Bevis did OK midweek and if Robbo feels the same then I hope he plays SOD at right back. 

I've said it numerous times that he is better than Grimshaw

Probably in the minority here but I honestly don't think Mugabi is that bad.

He was pretty good on Wednesday. When he's asked to just defend he actually does an okay job. There's no reason he should see a huge amount of the ball. Gallagher likes to do that side of things although that seems to consist of him firing an excessive amount of long diagonal balls at the moment.

Clearly LB isn't Lamie's strongest position but I'd rather play SOD in his strongest position rather than bringing someone in to play a positon they aren't at all comfortable with. I know Grimmy has been playing RB for a while now but personally I'd much rather Lamie at LB than Grimmy at RB. Grimshaw has been worse than a man down recently.

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Some professionals, particularly those of international standard, don't let things slip over the summer.

He needs to be straight into the team. Our rank fullbacks are causing us a lot of issues.

Match fitness is something that's difficult to replicate...no matter the standard of player

I agree with the others saying that big Bevis isn’t that bad. When he’s asked to simply block and header things he generally does okay. Clearly it’s the ‘passing the ball to a guy in the same t-shirt as him’ bit he struggles with and teams are forcing us to play through him if we’re playing out from the back.

Lamie hasn’t been great but is probably a bit better on the ball than Grimshaw, and offers more from set pieces etc so I’d persevere with him at LB for now and get SOD into his natural position at RB. 

Just now, dezz said:

I agree with the others saying that big Bevis isn’t that bad. When he’s asked to simply block and header things he generally does okay. Clearly it’s the ‘passing the ball to a guy in the same t-shirt as him’ bit he struggles with and teams are forcing us to play through him if we’re playing out from the back.

Lamie hasn’t been great but is probably a bit better on the ball than Grimshaw, and offers more from set pieces etc so I’d persevere with him at LB for now and get SOD into his natural position at RB. 

Agree on the Mugabi thing...he gives people the fear due to his playing style and poor distribution

...purely defending, blocking, headering, he seems ok to me

I agree with that. He’s also “never a midfielder” when he’s doing well at right back and “never a right-back” after a bad game.

Maybe it’s the burden of being first choice that’s affected his game. This is probably been the first season where he’s started it first choice.

In the past he’s needed to be better than Rose/McHugh etc to play in midfield then better than Tait to play at right-back and now being an automatic pick is alien to him.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

10 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Aye anyone not chuffed to bits that we’ve signed SOD is at it. I’m trying to think of RB’s at other clubs in the league that I’d rather have (out with the OF) and I can’t think of too many off the top of my head. The lad Hernandez at Aberdeen maybe? Regardless, it’s a great signing.

I would have only swapped SOD for Tavernier and Frimpong.

Age difference aside losing him was as big a blow as losing Taylor last year. 

Scores goals, creates goals, great engine and in my opinion a great attitude. Yes he had dips in his performance at times but some of that was due to the way we played under AA last season. When he was asked to play in a more cautious way he was part of a defence who conceded very few goals.