Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

The two goals we lost were woeful and people booed. Seen a lot of folk slag the booing patrons but I think that booing is well within their right. It was a shocking scoreline and although I wasn't booing myself I defend their right to.

Agree with that. You don't get to hype a game as the club did with their whole "homecoming" patter then be offended if there's a negative reaction when you're going in 2-0 down to a Championship side at half time.

Even Watt was saying in his wee post-match video that it's not acceptable to be 2-0 down to a side a league below us (or words to that effect).

Others have touched on it but the interesting thing to me is that one of the main criticisms last season was how complacent we looked in games and, of course, that it took us until fucking January to equalise in a game.

Maybe a wee boo now and again helps sharpen then mind.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Agree with that. You don't get to hype a game as the club did with their whole "homecoming" patter then be offended if there's a negative reaction when you're going in 2-0 down to a Championship side at half time.

Even Watt was saying in his wee post-match video that it's not acceptable to be 2-0 down to a side a league below us (or words to that effect).

Others have touched on it but the interesting thing to me is that one of the main criticisms last season was how complacent we looked in games and, of course, that it took us until fucking January to equalise in a game.

Maybe a wee boo now and again helps sharpen then mind.

It maybe does, however as with every club there is also a lack of patience. It’s very early yet and the squad is not even completed and giving them a little more time to get up to match fitness and gel would not be a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

It maybe does, however as with every club there is also a lack of patience. It’s very early yet and the squad is not even completed and giving them a little more time to get up to match fitness and gel would not be a bad thing. 

In fairness, I don't disagree with this either especially as this season feels different with Alexander's approach compared to Robinson's.

Where Robinson had us on a training camp and had signed 10 or 11 players by the time the LC groups started, at the moment we're maybe 60% done with recruitment and these games are very much being used as 'pre-season' and it feels like we're caught between two stools in that respect. We want to manage the intensity with which we play, the minutes that the players are getting but we also need to win.

Regardless of them falling in the middle of July these are competitive games that we need to win and the fans have the expectation to win.

That's us been involved in 18 league cup group fixtures now and only lost 1, against Rangers. Add in the club actively hyping up the whole "Homecoming" angle and it's understandable why there'd be a vocal negative reaction. What's interesting to me is how that dynamic changes compared to what we were watching remotely last season and the fairly passive 1-0 losses in front of empty stands.

For avoidance of doubt furious, red-faced, balding, middle-aged men getting bent out of shape is very much not for me in terms of my football enjoyment experience. I'm still very much Michael Cera here:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Edited by capt_oats

i think we have to wait until all the match fixtures have been played. After todays game i would expect them to be uploaded to the SPFL channel.

It appears to only be the games shown live on Premier Sports that get highlights. Other than that it’s just a best bits showing specific goals.

I did notice that the full game vs Queens Park was uploaded to Motherwelltv but It’s not available to me, and as far as I’m aware there wasn’t any stream on sell so I’m unsure who it is available to.

5 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

It appears to only be the games shown live on Premier Sports that get highlights. Other than that it’s just a best bits showing specific goals.

Is right.

All the goals from all the games will be there tomorrow morning/lunchtime. 

It was great to be back on Saturday, thoroughly enjoyed the game to be honest. I got put in the main stand (where I don't usually sit) so I found it interesting to get a different perspective on the game. With the lower crowd you could pretty much hear eveything that was getting said between the manager and players. It felt to me like a lot of the boys were very much still getting used to how eachother play which is normal at this stage but I would hope we will add a few in the next week to give the team a chance of gelling together before too many league games have been played.

Lawless, KVV and Woolery all looked lively. I don't really see Woolery as an actual striker and am starting to think its more likely he will play out wide in a starting front 3 of Watt - KVV - Woolery. I'm not really sure you get the best out of Watt out wide, always seen him more of a central deep lying striker in my book but will be interesting to see how it plays out. I would be quite keen to see another formation trialled at some point in these cup games, Watt and KVV playing as a two sounds appealing!

Central midfield is my main area of concern just now. I'm always an advocate of young players being given the chance but I'm still not really convinced Maguire is at the level to be a starter with us. I mean he's okay but I would really like to see a couple of experieneced boys coming in to challenge him. Cornelius and Crawford are very much bench players IMO.

Looking forward to a wee trip to Airdrie in the sun on Wednesday

There are some interesting comments from Woolery in the Record (and I'm guessing other outlets that are paywalled). Basically he's saying that, unsurprisingly, he's not anywhere near match fit and the boys who were at the club last season and were following their programme are ahead of the new boys.

He said: "The gaffer told me yesterday [Friday] he was going to rest me anyway, because he didn't know what I did in the off-season; all these boys had a programme that Motherwell had set them, and I didn't really do too much, so I was a little bit behind on fitness when I came.

"He's looking after me and a few other players, and I think he's going to rotate us. It all depends on my performance as well, so if I play well I hope to be in the team."

Link

Coming off the bench and chucking boys about the park is a massive change up from where we were with Seedorf and Hastie though. So...aye, more of that please. Based on nothing but photos of him Shields looks like he's from the same mould.

Both Watt and Van Veen seem very much, to use @Busta Nut's choice of phrase, finesse players so having someone who's physical and direct on the park with them is probably a good thing.

Tbh, I think our issues are still exactly the same as they were at the start of the window, we need replacements for Gallagher, Campbell and Polworth. I thought Cornelius showed up well on Saturday but it's a big ask to pile the midfield on his shoulders as we did with Campbell.

Anyway KVV...

"There were 2000, and they booed us off after the first half, because we deserved that, it wasn't good enough to be 2-0 behind when you were quite dominant."

Link

#ICONIC

E6mEzEdXMAQWsT2?format=jpg&name=medium

I don't mind Maguire but can appreciate some of the reservations people have about him. I feel he really needs to kick on this season as the way it looks at the moment he'll probably be playing more games than not. Up until now he's shown himself as being a midfielder who can play a few passes but doesn't create anything and doesn't score. I'm also not buying that he's good at set pieces with both feet.

I worry that we're maybe sticking with him since he came through the academy rather than him actually being able to offer much to the team. There's definitely a hint of Stuart Carswell about him.