Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

The whole Mich'el Parker as a footballer thing just seems totally bizarre. No matter what stat sites you look on (unless there's any I've overlooked), the sole appearance listed for him is for West Ham in a 3-1 defeat to Exeter in the Football League Trophy.

At the age of 23, that's surely a sign that he's, well, not very good. No record of him even on loan at non league level or anything.

Considering he's never as much as made the bench he's definitely been the puntiest of punts. Fair play to the guy for being able to make a (undoubtedly modest) wage without actually doing anything. Up there amongst our weirdest/most pointless signings for sure.

With these types of signings - I always assume it's a favour to an agent...

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

The whole Mich'el Parker as a footballer thing just seems totally bizarre. No matter what stat sites you look on (unless there's any I've overlooked), the sole appearance listed for him is for West Ham in a 3-1 defeat to Exeter in the Football League Trophy.

At the age of 23, that's surely a sign that he's, well, not very good. No record of him even on loan at non league level or anything.

Considering he's never as much as made the bench he's definitely been the puntiest of punts. Fair play to the guy for being able to make a (undoubtedly modest) wage without actually doing anything. Up there amongst our weirdest/most pointless signings for sure.

I actually found footage of the bold yin a while back playing as a trialist for MK Dons against Arsenal.

He's #17 and subbed on around 68 mins.

"And with five minutes to go, Mich'el Parker, a trialist, poorly times his challenge on Reiss Nelson to give away a penalty, which he then dispatched sending Nicholls the wrong way."

Link

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I actually found footage of the bold yin a while back playing as a trialist for MK Dons against Arsenal.

Quite something if you're a 23 year old 'professional footballer' and that is your entire online highlights reel!!

16 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Up there amongst our weirdest/most pointless signings for sure.

Not overly weird or pointless, but remember Sam Foley played for us. A video of him being interviewed at his current club popped up on my twitter the other day and it took me a good few minutes to realise why I recognised him. The last January window was a very weird time. 

Guest superward
14 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Feels very much like to me that, at best, Parker was a punt and might be something to work with. At worst, it means we can play 11 v 11 in training.

7 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
19 minutes ago, well fan for life said:
Grezza linked with the Preston job this morning. If we get compo for him I wouldn't be upset at him going tbh. 

Alexander currently 3rd favourite on Sky Bet. 2nd favourite is Callum Davidson.

At 16/1.

Ryan Lowe is 1/20...

Alexander was out at 25/1 an hour or so ago but I'm guessing this Tweet has seen a couple of tenners stuck on him.

Edited by capt_oats

47 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Grezza linked with the Preston job this morning. If we get compo for him I wouldn't be upset at him going tbh. 

I would actually be quite sad if he left - I like the way he goes about stuff and he certainly isn't at the McCall/Robinson type past-his-sell by-date yet.

I stupidly never even twigged with the PNE connection either - I was too busy thinking about Calum Davidson being in the frame for it..

Given when we need a new manager, the first day of the bookies odd is usually littered with the likes of Simo Valakari, Billy Davies and Owen Coyle, I wouldn't read much in to it.

49 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I know when we have been beaten this season, the games have been torture to watch and I've found myself as frustrated as anyone else on those days, but surely we are getting ideas above our station if we think we can do better than a manager who has us joint fourth?

I don’t expect him to get it but I’d be disappointed if he left now. 

I think he’s done an excellent job. This time last year we were an absolute mess, sitting at the bottom of the table and getting scudded 5 zip by Killie/Accies(who both ended up getting relegated). 

Fast forward a year and we’ve just beaten Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee Utd without conceding a goal as well getting a well deserved point at Easter Road. We’re only 5 points off 3rd and 12 points clear of the play off spot. 

The improvement in guys like Mugabi and Lamie under him has been genuinely unbelievable. He’s also managed to get the most out of guys like Watt and Cole who have both enjoyed the best scoring spells of their careers under Alexander.

Looking at our squad at the minute it’s in a pretty decent place overall. Kelly, Slattery, Woolery, Shields and Solholm all tied up long term on 3 year deals with Tierney soon to follow. Ojala, Carroll, SODS, Goss and KVV are contracted beyond the end of the season as well. 

Considering he’s only had one proper window and less than a year in the job, makes the turnaround even more impressive. Personally speaking, I like Alexander and I’m quite intrigued to see what he could do with a bit more time and a few more windows.  

I was helluva impressed by him last season I must say. Whether it was getting 11 more goals from Devante Cole who was sitting on 1 in the middle of January, not being afraid to put the bad eggs like Polworth, Gallagher and Long in their places, getting the most out of players like Lamie, Mugabi etc who weren't performing under Robinson.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't enthused with our style of play last season and I hoped that was a means to an end until he got his own players in and being honest - we still aren't the most eye catching - but we are getting decent results.

I think, bit by bit, he is getting there with what he wants to do with the squad. We bided our time to get the two scandinavians in who have both been good finds (whilst fit I suppose), it took a while for Goss to become fit and functioning and I'm sure we can all agree his influence is slowly coming through now. Woolery is beggining to show a bit more too and he'll hopefully continue to progress. Not to put pressure on a young lad coming from the League of Ireland, but hopefully Tierney is the final piece in the jigsaw of us having a fully functional three man midfield.

I'm hoping what we are seeing is Alexander playing the long game, whilst doing what he needs to in order to get as many results as possible in the meantime.

Btw, avoiding all of the Alexander chat, tonight our oppoments for the Scottish Cup 4th Round will be decided. Its Morton vs ICT and as much as I hate seeing Morton, I would prefer them over ICT who are currently doing pretty well in the Championship. The last time we played and inform Championship team in the Scottish Cup was the Ross County game with Ross mccormack q few years ago.

I still have nightmares about that game.

Agree 100% with @Swello, @Casagolda and @crazylegsjoe_mfc on the previous page. I think all things considered Alexander has done a very good job.

Also, when you look at the number of staff we've brought in along with the number of shree year deals we've been chucking around the club have clearly invested a lot in the "Graham Alexander Project" and in that respect it still feels like early days in what they're trying to do.

That said, I'm not naive enough to thing that Motherwell is anything other than a stepping stone for Alexander's career path and if a Championship opportunity was to come up you'd imagine that Preston would be one of his ideal jobs given his history there.

It's academic now as SSN are reporting that Lowe's resigned from Plymouth with a view to being named Preston manager (Argyle have already announced Lowe's successor - the whole thing seems to have been a done deal from the get go) but it's still quite timely in an "Alexander: How do we think he's doing?" sort of way.

Edited by capt_oats

Panic ye not...

BBC Breaking news:

"Ryan Lowe has resigned as manager of League One Plymouth Argyle, who have appointed assistant Steven Schumacher as his successor.

Lowe, 43, is expected to be named as boss of Championship side Preston.

Argyle said a club in a higher division had activated a clause to speak to Lowe, who expressed a desire to leave."