Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I find this move of feeling the past couple months for Shields very interesting. 

In general we seem happy to pile into the likes of Solholm, only a couple years older than Shields, who I don't think you could accuse of not trying or grafting, just being not very good.

But Shields somehow now gets a free pass and a cuddle because he's been forced to play at a level he's not good enough for (like a lot of our players), played out of position (he's played wide before and was rubbish when we played him through the middle) and runs about a bit. 

For me, he shirked tackles, didn't take his chances when he got them in front of goal and hid for large parts of games. I'll thank him for filling a jersey when it was needed and wish him well but that's about it. He's not been hard done by.

That may sound harsh but feels to me a few of our other players could do with some of the good feelings being directed to Conor.

Edited by eliphas

9 hours ago, Swello said:

Shields leaving would be the best thing for him and the club - but I'm not celebrating it as he's not a Lawless-type arsehole nor has his missus been arguing with random twitter plums.  He's done his best and hasn't made it at our level at this point - but he's put the effort in and has been played out of position for the majority of the time. 

If we want the club to take a punt on Championship players, we need to be prepared for it not to work out every time.

Agree fully, it didn't work out, but not from a lack of effort on his behalf.

Hammell talking about Penney and Danzaki at the presser:

Hammell said: “I think there will be some stuff to confirm out today, regarding Matt.

“There will be a bit of interest in him, we’ve been in contact with him.

“He has been great, I get on fantastic with him, he’s been great for us this season and I think there will be something out later today.

“If it’s not Matty then we’ll be looking to do a bit of work to bring someone in to replace him if that is the case.

“We’re constantly looking at it, we need to be prepared. If that doesn’t happen we need to be prepared to act on that, and we will be.”

On Danzaki, Hammell added: “We’re speaking to a lot of players and there are some who are further down the line than others, but until we can actually confirm, it’s not right for me to speak about players that are attached to other teams.

“Until that time it’s very difficult for me to make comment on that.”

Link

21 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Get the feeling Penney isn't that keen on coming back but maybe isn't a first choice target for the sort of move he's looking for. Will be a bit of a waiting game I assume.

That's definitely possible but there's also the fact that he's out of contract at Ipswich in the summer that probably factors in.

If they loan him back to us then they're effectively freeing him so, similar to Devante Cole the first time round, there's possibly a chance that Ipswich are shopping him around to see if anyone will take up the rest of his contract in full and let him go on a permanent.

Feels like that would probably be their preference given they're stocked with left backs.

Agree with what’s been said above RE Shields.  Was happy to see him come in, it’s nice to sign someone from the championship in the hope they can do a job (though to be fair my “good” judgement has also included thinking (hoping) Martin Grehan(?) could do a job).  Shield has put plenty effort in, it’s just not worked out - these things happen and if/when he leaves he does so with my best wishes. 

It's always good to spread our net wide so, sure, look to the Scottish Championship, but the chance of us finding someone there who's more than a squad player is slim to none.

I do wonder what we'll do if Shields goes on loan there, has a blinder and scores eight goals in four months in securing promotion - hope it's enough to persuade his new team to buy him or give him a final swing in the last year of his deal?

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's always good to spread our net wide so, sure, look to the Scottish Championship, but the chance of us finding someone there who's more than a squad player is slim to none.

I do wonder what we'll do if Shields goes on loan there, has a blinder and scores eight goals in four months in securing promotion - hope it's enough to persuade his new team to buy him or give him a final swing in the last year of his deal?

I'd be pretty alright if he done well for a loan team and we could part ways. No point in flogging a dead donkey.

I certainly agree with not abusing players on social media. I think it’s awful behaviour. however fans forums are a different beast….. 

I do have to call out some of the comments on here. Calling Shields a grafter and stating his workrate is not in question is certainly not what I have been watching.

I think he has the heart of a mouse and quite often goes hiding in games. With the strength and pace he has he never uses it. Rarely bursts an arse to close a player down, never seems to constantly be on his toes, always playing on his heels. That’s not a grafter to me.

David Clarkson, John Sutton, Dougie Arnott, even wee Henrik Ojamma and Anier where grafters, who would kill for Shields physical attributes. 

I am not buying it at all. Workrate can make your own luck, Shields lack of work rate in my opinion has been half the battle.