Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

F*ck it who needs defenders anyway.  Reckon we should go 2-3-5 , front five rotating after every goal . If we're going down with a narrow gd margin might as well lose games 8-7. If Sol and Lamie are going to have 1 clanger every game then at least that's a lower proportion of our goals given away by them , defence sorted 👍

As much as Hammell's talking about dialogue being ongoing and the like it feels very much like just saying the right things. Robinson's chat when Cole went back to Wigan was pretty much the same before they papped him off to Doncaster.

While Penney was still here we had 10 defenders on the books; 3 are injured (Carroll, McGinley and Mugabi) so it's probably fair to say that if we want to address the CB area then we needed to see some movement on way or another given we've managed to assemble a squad that consists of 3 fit passable RBs, 2 bomb-scare CBs and 1 unknown quantity from the LOI.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As much as Hammell's talking about dialogue being ongoing and the like it feels very much like just saying the right things. Robinson's chat when Cole went back to Wigan was pretty much the same before they papped him off to Doncaster.

While Penney was still here we had 10 defenders on the books; 3 are injured (Carroll, McGinley and Mugabi) so it's probably fair to say that if we want to address the CB area then we needed to see some movement on way or another given we've managed to assemble a squad that consists of 3 fit passable RBs, 2 bomb-scare CBs and 1 unknown quantity from the LOI.

Ultimately if Penney not being replaced and SOD going to LB is the only way we can get a new CB (though I'm not convinced it is), we don't have much choice in going for it.

10 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Ultimately if Penney not being replaced and SOD going to LB is the only way we can get a new CB (though I'm not convinced it is), we don't have much choice in going for it.

Aye, to be clear I don't think it's the only way we can get a new CB either (especially having seen our cash balance in the accounts) but I'd imagine we'd need to do some trimming to balance the budget out a bit.

Like, I've no idea how much we'd have been chipping in on Penney's wage but if it was a decent wedge then prioritising the bulk of that for a CB with a more modest amount going towards a LB seems like a plan at least while SOD is on the books and presumably capable of playing there.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I suspect that SOD will play there on Saturday but there is no way we can go into the rest of the season with him playing on his wrong side. It’s painful watching him cut the ball inside to his right foot and not fair on the player. Assuming Carroll is still not fit we need another LB . I would say the need for that is greater than a RCB but if we want to get out of this mess we really need both.

We really need to shift some of the fringe players to free up wages . 

32 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I suspect that SOD will play there on Saturday but there is no way we can go into the rest of the season with him playing on his wrong side. It’s painful watching him cut the ball inside to his right foot and not fair on the player. Assuming Carroll is still not fit we need another LB . I would say the need for that is greater than a RCB but if we want to get out of this mess we really need both.

We really need to shift some of the fringe players to free up wages . 

In fairness, the fact that Hammell went out and signed Penney after a short stint of SOD filling in at LB suggests that he's of a similar view. He made it clear that he wanted a natural LB in as soon as Carroll was ruled out for the season.

Also, Hammell saying that we're looking at "viable" alternatives in the news story is a bit of a giveaway I suppose.

“Although discussions are ongoing, we are constantly looking at viable alternatives in the transfer market.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I would genuinely like to see this for a laugh.

I think we'll see it on Saturday.

SOD will end up or LB. A mate who knows him very well was telling me he played there often as a youngster.

As for Hammell: EK or Southside? I've another mate who said he lives near him, my mate is either pretending he is a southsider or Hammell just likes EK and goes there.

17 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think we'll see it on Saturday.

SOD will end up or LB. A mate who knows him very well was telling me he played there often as a youngster.

As for Hammell: EK or Southside? I've another mate who said he lives near him, my mate is either pretending he is a southsider or Hammell just likes EK and goes there.

Mate used to see him regularly in the Croftfoot area so assumed he was from around there, which is indeed South Side, and not a far hop from EK.

Maybe he just likes a wee run up there of an evening for a shot of the 100's of roundabouts to maintain the feeling of going round in circles he has at work all day, trying to drum positional awareness into shite defenders.

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Mate used to see him regularly in the Croftfoot area so assumed he was from around there, which is indeed South Side, and not a far hop from EK.

Aye, Ive seen him in Kings Park before.

18 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We should doxx a member of the coaching staff everyday until a centreback is announced.

Have you tried reminding the club on twitter? They may have just forgot.

I can see it now, Hammell sitting in the team mini bus in a couple of weeks, then suddenly jumps up and shouts "defender", in a Kevin's mum style.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Killie winning. We're fucking down.

Results in other fixtures all going our way tonight (as they generally have done in recent weeks). Would be nice if we could stop being idiots and take advantage at some point. 

10 minutes ago, dezz said:

Results in other fixtures all going our way tonight (as they generally have done in recent weeks). Would be nice if we could stop being idiots and take advantage at some point. 

I honestly think we could probably scrape 11th by drawing enough games between now and May. Playoffs might be an issue though.