Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Cracking draw. Never been to Stark's and got a mate involved at Rose so win win whoever we get. Was gutted I couldn't make Arbroath due to work , ironically ending up working early doors today in Arbroath ! Missed the game but at least still got to Pie Bob's , albeit for breakfast instead of post match scran . 

1 hour ago, dezz said:

A good draw for us. Got a wee soft spot for Raith, my first ever game was against them (5-0 win in ‘97).
Also had a good day out in Kirkcaldy last season watching them capitulate against Accies, drawing 4-4 after being 4-0 up with 20 mins to go, so wouldn’t mind a wee return. 

That was my first game too. Sat in the Cooper right behind the goal.

Cracking draw and away day again. Arbroath was brilliant so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

1 hour ago, AdamMFC said:

That was my first game too. Sat in the Cooper right behind the goal.

Cracking draw and away day again. Arbroath was brilliant so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

That was my third game, but the first time I saw us win. A draw with accies in the cup and a 1-0 defeat to Hearts preceded it for me.

I was Starks when we got pumped out the league cup in 1991 when we were Scottish Cup holders but for some reason wasn't there for the penalty shootout win in 1999. Also remember a 5-1 away win there in the league in the late 90's on a freezing winter midweek night. I think our record there is decent enough over the years...

Delighted with the draw, I think the last time I visited Stark's Park, Mitchell Van Der Gaag netted a double in a 3-0 win and I think the stadium had just been done up as well. Linlithgow would be an interesting tie but we would be lucky to get 400 tickets (need to take a leaf out that guys book on Twitter that always reminds Burrows that he is the number 1 well fan should they advance). 

Always associated Raith Rovers with Tony Rougier and the wee train going past every 20 or so minutes when I was wee - my first away game was to Starks Park prior to it getting done up and we were sat in the Main stand (think we lost 2-0) but seen us dish out a few pumpings to them, the afore mentioned home 5-0 and the 5-1 away that I'm sure was snowing come full time.

A good draw for us to progress and you'd have to fancy it being one of the BBC TV picks (especially if it ends up being Linlithgow). 

I wonder if it was to be Linlithgow if they would move it to either Falkirk or Livi - I guess more likely Falkirk given they would be away on the same weekend to try and maximise their income- we would take easily the same amount we did to Arbroath and probably a bit more, or stick at home to try and use that to their advantage.

Looking down the line, obviously the old firm teams will remain, but there will be at most only 5 other premiership teams left in the draw for the next round and you wouldn't necessarily bank on Livi beating either ICT or QP - progress here and we do have a higher than average chance of a semi final. 

I hope we get Raith.  Despite my first 'Well game being in 1991, I've never been to Starks Park.  It's the last big ground in Scotland I've not seen us at, so keen to remedy that.  

Also, ram yer BBC pick.  We'd end up with the Monday night slot which would be a sore yin.

Just done a quick check there, and in my time supporting Motherwell I've managed to tick off 19/41 of the 'senior' grounds which was more than I thought it would be given I attend 2-3 away games a season at most these days. Think I'd prefer Raith for the chance to hit 20, but would be more than happy with Linlithgow if that's who it ended up being,

12 minutes ago, stu92 said:

Just done a quick check there, and in my time supporting Motherwell I've managed to tick off 19/41 of the 'senior' grounds which was more than I thought it would be given I attend 2-3 away games a season at most these days. Think I'd prefer Raith for the chance to hit 20, but would be more than happy with Linlithgow if that's who it ended up being,

Had to go and check that as I've never worked it out.  I've done 32 watching Motherwell (+ Fir Park obviously and Elgin as a neutral when I was visiting a mate up there). The ones I haven't done are all new "enlargement/pyramid" teams that we've never played (Bonnyrigg, Kelty, etc) or "old" teams that we haven't played for fucking years (Montrose, Stenhousemuir).  Albion Rovers is one I've not been to and never will as they would move the game to NDP as they did before on that great day. I don't do friendlies, so might have missed some opportunities there.

27 minutes ago, Swello said:

Had to go and check that as I've never worked it out.  I've done 32 watching Motherwell (+ Fir Park obviously and Elgin as a neutral when I was visiting a mate up there). The ones I haven't done are all new "enlargement/pyramid" teams that we've never played (Bonnyrigg, Kelty, etc) or "old" teams that we haven't played for fucking years (Montrose, Stenhousemuir).  Albion Rovers is one I've not been to and never will as they would move the game to NDP as they did before on that great day. I don't do friendlies, so might have missed some opportunities there.

I’ve somehow managed 35, I counted Fir Park and Clyde (no idea where they are playing just now) and Cliftonhill was a game against Stirling Albion.  The newish League Cup group stages got me 3 from the South.

I could have counted 2 for each of Falkirk, Clyde, Hamilton, Airdrie, Stirling and St Mirren (but didn’t) and assume it was East Fife’s new ground I was at one dark midweek night.

Never been to Starks Park.

Edited by ropy

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I take it Linlithgow is a wee stadium.

Capacity is 1700. It was 2250 eight years ago but council reduced it despite no changes to ground.On the off chance the Rose win tomorrow the game would definitely be at Prestonfield and Motherwell would get 500 tickets.

58 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I take it Linlithgow is a wee stadium.

A wee stand that holds about 300 with terracing on both touchlines.

Last time I was there in the Junior days it was just grass banking behind one of the goals unless it's changed.

Edited by santheman

29 for me.  Fingers crossed Raith get through and it'll take me into the 30s.

12/12 Prem
8/10 Champ (counting Hampden for Queens Park)

4/10 L1 (counting Broadwood for Clyde but know they've since been f*cked oot)

5/10 L2

Have done St. Mirren, Falkirk and Dumbarton old & new, as well as Clydebank when Stevie Woods played outfield...

1 minute ago, Desp said:

29 for me.  Fingers crossed Raith get through and it'll take me into the 30s.

12/12 Prem
8/10 Champ (counting Hampden for Queens Park)

4/10 L1 (counting Broadwood for Clyde but know they've since been f*cked oot)

5/10 L2

Have done St. Mirren, Falkirk and Dumbarton old & new, as well as Clydebank when Stevie Woods played outfield...

I never actually included Hampden in my count because I hadn't seen us play Queen's Park there albeit I have seen us play there on more than a few occasions. So I guess I'm actually at 20 for stadiums I've seen us play in.

Having said that I did include the Excelsior from when we played a few European games there, and I've only ever been to Parkhead for the Phil O'Donnell testimonial. Should probably try get those ones proper when I can.

10 minutes ago, stu92 said:

I never actually included Hampden in my count because I hadn't seen us play Queen's Park there albeit I have seen us play there on more than a few occasions. So I guess I'm actually at 20 for stadiums I've seen us play in.

Having said that I did include the Excelsior from when we played a few European games there, and I've only ever been to Parkhead for the Phil O'Donnell testimonial. Should probably try get those ones proper when I can.

If you’ve been, you’ve been.

I mentioned this before but we seem to get the crowds out for cup games in a way that other smaller clubs don't and I've never really worked out why. Taking a touch over 2000 to Arbroath is pretty good going when  you see some of the other attendances. I know there are reasons (including not being on the season ticket) but Kilmarnock, St. Mirren and Dundee United all saw markedly reduced attendances and in St. Mirren's case you would have expected a large visiting support from Dundee. A few others (Accies and St. Johnstone) had boycotts - I know it's difficult to tell with Accies but 783 against County is remarkably low. 

So, are we just a bunch of piss-heads who like a day out?

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

So, are we just a bunch of piss-heads who like a day out?

Thinking back to drunken debauchery at the Saturday evening tie in Dundee a couple of years ago I'd say the answer is, undoubtedly, yes.

Edited by 'WellDel

12/12 Prem

9/10 Champ (Counting Hampden for Queens Park)

7/10 L1 (counting Broadwood for Clyde)

5/10 L2

I'm essentially now down to newbies and the far flung reaches of the country. And Falkirk, for some reason, dunno quite how I've never been there.