Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

32 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Is there a meme equivalent to 'give me something for the pain and just relegate us now'?

In fairness that list is clearly pulled out someone's arse but even so it's a blow to look at.

It's from McBookie who have Chris Hughton priced in their next Aberdeen manager list despite him being named the new Ghana manager yesterday.

It's not a list based on any sort of insight.

Tbh, I haven't got a fucking clue who we'd be even considering as it feels like any "profile" we've had in who we're looking at is out the window.

As soon as Alexander was mentioned when Robinson resigned then in a choice between him and say, Tommy Wright it felt clear who of the two looked more like a "Motherwell manager" (IMO). For the best part of the last 10 years it's felt like we've had a type.

Right now though we could easily end up with a Craig Brown type appointment, a Baraclough or anything in between based on who's doing the interviews. Even more so now that Burrows isn't involved.

I mean, Nick Montgomery was a name that appeared when Hammell got the job supposedly off the back of us looking at recruitment algorithms.

"It's believed Montgomery's named flashed up on Motherwell's radar through an algorithm the club has adopted to identify coaches who can source, mould and ultimately sell on young talent, much in the way the Yorkshireman has recently accomplished with likes of Kye Rowles and Lewis Miller, both of home are ironically now based in the Scottish Premiership."

Link

Weirdly Central Coast Mariners RT'd that article at the time and there's quotes from their chairman confirming it.

Part of me thinks we'd be likely to lean towards a safe option in the same was we did with McGhee after Malpas or Brown after Gannon. It obviously wasn't exactly popular but going back to McGhee post-Bara was still a case us knowing what we were getting (and he got us a Top 6 finish tbf).

Having said that, there's still a chance that we could go wildly off piste and do something really fucking stupid.

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

None of the above 1/2.

Pretty much aye.

Ian Holloway, your time is now!

“To put it in gentleman’s terms if you’ve been out for a night and you’re looking for a young lady and you pull one, some weeks they’re good looking and some weeks they’re not the best,” he said.

“Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi.

“She weren’t the best looking lady we ended up taking home but she was very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much, let’s have a coffee.”

Some of the above names on that list would give you the fear followed by the dry boak. Was convinced it was Goodwin the minute Aberdeen sacked him although now less certain. Lambert would have been great but probably pie in the sky stuff.

I have so little faith in the those running the Club I’m half expecting the announcement of David Goodwillie as player/manager and the revelation that Netflix have had a camera crew in Fir Park for the last 18 months.

Edited by Quatermass

4 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Some of the above names on that list would give you the fear followed by the dry boak. Was convinced it was Goodwin the minute Aberdeen sacked him although now less certain. Lambert would have been great but probably pie in the sky stuff.

Idly contemplating on a dull Monday but you wonder just what Lambert sees for himself next.

Since leaving Blackburn nearly eight years ago he's had a few fireman jobs and one post which lasted at Ipswich but ended two years ago. Does he really think he'll get another good gig in England? Does kicking around a really low level in England for a better salary than FP appeal to a guy with his career when, presumably, he's hardly in need of the money?

I appreciate we're not an amazing gig but unless he completely fucks it he'd get time to turn it round while getting all the love off the Scottish media.

Presumably he wouldn't have done all this work on renewing his badges if he was about to retire...he just hoping for a jaunt in the sun to the US/Oz/UAE?

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Idly contemplating on a dull Monday but you wonder just what Lambert sees for himself next.

Since leaving Blackburn nearly eight years ago he's had a few fireman jobs and one post which lasted at Ipswich but ended two years ago. Does he really think he'll get another good gig in England? Does kicking around a really low level in England for a better salary than FP appeal to a guy with his career when, presumably, he's hardly in need of the money?

I appreciate we're not an amazing gig but unless he completely fucks it he'd get time to turn it round while getting all the love off the Scottish media.

Presumably he wouldn't have done all this work on renewing his badges if he was about to retire...he just hoping for a jaunt in the sun to the US/Oz/UAE?

I know the Ipswich fans were utterly scunnered with him at the end. When he was brought up on Sportsound it was with the belief that he will be a very wealthy man and doesn’t need the work as much as many or even all of the other potential candidates do. I have no doubt he *would* have commanded the respect of the dressing room as not one of them will achieve a tenth of what he has……but issue perhaps is his own motivation.

How does he fancy a relegation battle at this level and potentially a shot at the second tier up here after what he has been used to? Two years out of the game and his options will be decreasing though. He might wish in a year or two he was more open to the prospect. I doubt he’ll ever reach the levels he was previously at.

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Where do you get these ideas from? 

If anything, we look like a team with f**k all confidence. We could do with a bit of ego and swagger. 

Nothing concrete for me just more of a feeling than anything else. I think Hammell did suck the confidence out the team in different ways. The young guys like McKinstry and Tierney (the former who he nurtured in the academy) we dropped for Aitchison and Danzaki both just off the plane. That is a major demoraliser.

Stuck by guys like Goss and Lamie (granted the latter because of zero options - but again on him as manager there were none) and other guys sitting watching thinking, how poorly must he see me that I'm benched over this guy. Shit like that leads to resentment.

On one hand you've got Liam Kelly greetin and Shields/Maguire can't get out the door quick enough. I have no idea what the dressing room is like but it seems to have little cliques of differing views on what is the best the plan going forward.

But if senior pro's have approached Flao either collectively or individually that points to he doesn't know what he's doing rather than all hands to the pumps and believing in the process. 

SOD for all his faults, I'd kind have to agree doing to Ibrox and defending narrow is a mindboggler when you've got guys like Tavernier ranging down the wings.

So I do think whoever the next permanent guy is has a joint task of motivating and getting all 28 (mental number) players pulling in the same direction.

Edited by Kapowzer

I've always thought Lambert might feel he has something to prove as a manager up here given he only ever managed Livingston and that went pretty badly from what I remember. Now would seem as good a time as any for him to come back given clubs down south hardly seem to be battering down his door. 

Has he officially ruled himself out? He hasn't had a job in almost 2 years and at the rate managers come and go in England his stock must be pretty low down there. Surely coming back to a club he knows and trying to rebuild his reputation a bit in order to get another crack at England isn't the worst idea? 

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've always thought Lambert might feel he has something to prove as a manager up here given he only ever managed Livingston and that went pretty badly from what I remember. Now would seem as good a time as any for him to come back given clubs down south hardly seem to be battering down his door. 

Has he officially ruled himself out? He hasn't had a job in almost 2 years and at the rate managers come and go in England his stock must be pretty low down there. Surely coming back to a club he knows and trying to rebuild his reputation a bit in order to get another crack at England isn't the worst idea? 

The papers seem very adamant. Might just be negotiating ofc, perhaps the issue isn't his salary but that he thinks he can't work with our budget. Perhaps he's eyeing pittodrie or tannadice too.

It does help when Motherwell have a vacancy it is currently the ‘best available job in the country’ football wise. A couple of times that hasn’t been the case. With Aberdeen also rudderless, Lambert’s attention/hopes might be elsewhere. Who can blame him. I could see that move happening. Likewise, I can also see John Hughes recalibrating his intentions as well now we are on the hunt. Regardless of it actually happening he is more likely to be our new gaffer than Aberdeens. I also expect us to announce a manager long before them as well. They have the luxury of time on their side and might even get away with Robson until the end of next month.

Edited by Quatermass