Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I could see all of them going, perhaps with the exception of Cornelius - presumably we’ll offer terms to Johnston but he’ll likely see himself elsewhere.

The prospect of having to build a team around Lamie is quite distressing however.

I was about to say.

This is who's left:

Kelly, Oxborough, Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley, Blaney, Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Tierney, Miller, Butcher, Van Veen, Danzaki, Morris, Shields.

16 players.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I was about to say.

This is who's left:

Kelly, Oxborough, Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley, Blaney, Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Tierney, Miller, Butcher, Van Veen, Danzaki, Morris, Shields.

16 players.

giphy.gif

That not only screams 'Championship' , but 'Championship Strugglers'.

I know there will be relegation clauses etc by which some of them would be on the move if we do go down but, save for a couple of names, that list is a truly harrowing read.

Having hardly any players signed up is a fucking great situation to be in. They are all, by in large, shite. Wish we had even less actually looking at the list for next year. 

I'd keep Kelly, Casey, Blaney, Johnstone, Slattery, Tierney, Butcher, McKinstry, Van Veen....and that's it. 

Even a few if them are getting told they are on their last chance and better respond to my most excellent and comprehensive training 

Edited by eliphas

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Having hardly any players signed up is a fucking great situation to be in. They are all, by in large, shite. Wish we had even less actually looking at the list for next year. 

I'd keep Kelly, Casey, Blaney, Johnstone, Slattery, Tierney, Butcher, McKinstry, Van Veen....and that's it. 

Even a few if them are getting told they are on their last chance and better respond to my most excellent and comprehensive training 

Tbh if we could get Kelly off the wage bill I'd be eager to do so and while I wouldn't be against keeping KVV and Slattery I just don't see them having any interest in the lower league, should it happen.

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Was this a normal one? it was his first job as manager and had just left Celtic as part of John Barnes catastrophe.

A modern day comparison would be giving the job to John Kennedy.

Bizarre as it seems now, Black was considered he real coup at the time...for whatever reason he was widely deemed an excellent manager in waiting.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I've said it enough, but will say it again, while there's the obvious and mildly distasteful reality that the players have clearly downed tools the fact that this group seems to have collectively gone off a cliff en masse in the way they have hardly reflects well on the coaching staff.

I mean, look at Kelly now vs the Kelly that we initially had on loan or Slattery in his first 6 months vs now. There are others you could rattle through who you'd say have been underperforming.

I agree with this.

Goss & Slattery for example get a lot of abuse, a lot of it justified. How many times though does Hammell have to deploy his 4231 with one or generally both at the base of it before he realises it's not working? We're being outnumbered and overrun in there every week, we know their limitations as players but persist with it anyway. I genuinely chuckled yesterday when I seen he'd finally binned Goss, only to see he'd replaced him in the engine room with Blair Spittal...

O'Donnell was shite yesterday and looks done, fair enough it's hard to disagree. However both goals came from him being outnumbered 2 on 1 down his side. Again, whether O'Donnell is actually good or not, it's another structural failing of Hammell's system where the defence isn't being protected. If you're a player and you're constantly being put in difficult situations because you're being asked to do the same things that haven't worked the previous games/weeks/months then eventually you're just going to switch off. 

I knew when we hired Hammell he'd make mistakes and get things wrong, that's why I was willing to be patient. However there's only so many interviews you can watch where he scratches his lead(literally) and says the goals we lose are poor again- Aye, but what are you actually doing about it Stevie!? I kept waiting for him to adjust his style/tactics but whether it was through arrogance or ignorance, that moment never really arrived.

Shame like cause the win at Pittodrie, the win in Dingwall and some of our earlier home performances against ICT/Utd/Hearts showed plenty of promise and that Hammell has some merits as a coach. However he's had long enough to address these failings in his system and tactics and I'd argue anyone other than a club legend wouldn't have even got as far as the game yesterday. 

Cheers Stevie and all the best, now replace him properly and don't fucking appoint Kettlewell.

Edited by Casagolda

56 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Tbh if we could get Kelly off the wage bill I'd be eager to do so and while I wouldn't be against keeping KVV and Slattery I just don't see them having any interest in the lower league, should it happen.

Kelly isn't on a huge wage from what I heard at the time. Certainly didn't break the wage structure. Large signing on fee though 

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Liam Kelly is a charlatan. an absolute impostor. 

Get him to f**k.

I know we disagree on this one but I think he's got enough about him from his past performances that tell me he is a good goalie. 

He's steadily went down hill since Hinchcliffe left though (Dibble first and now Alexander coaching the goalies) and since he's not had a meaningful defence in front of him. His attempt yesterday for the second though was....woeful. 

I know I am getting old but when the teams came out ‘smoke bombs’ were thrown left and right into the Motherwell crowd, then two were thrown onto the pitch.  These two stained/damaged/scorched (I don’t know which) the surface.

Is that what pyro is about?

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

If people are happy for Liam Kelly to cost us goals fairly often then that's on them.
His two yesterday were absolute stinkers.

I'd get rid of him. Along with Goss, SOD & Lamie for a start

He's good for the odd outstanding reflex/reaction save that he can add to his show reel, but some bread and butter takes that he misses are unforgivable. He's been beat at his near post countless times lately, and being outmuscled at Rovers 2nd yesterday was something you'd get berated for playing amateur on a Sunday.

I've advocated it before and will do so again. Give Oxborough a shot, it's highly doubtful he could perform any worse than Kelly's recent performances and who knows, he might actually be no' bad? Captain or not, pish performances deserve a benching.

24 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

He's been beat at his near post countless times lately, and being outmuscled at Rovers 2nd yesterday was something you'd get berated for playing amateur on a Sunday.

He gets himself involved with wrestling consistently, and gets caught out on it regularly. Murray had obviously prepped Rovers for this. He seems to get... I dunno, fixated is a bit strong, but he's not comfortable when people get physical with him.

You won't win it, so just remove yourself from the situation and be a goalkeeper, rather than get involved. Every corner was the same.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

I know I am getting old but when the teams came out ‘smoke bombs’ were thrown left and right into the Motherwell crowd, then two were thrown onto the pitch.  These two stained/damaged/scorched (I don’t know which) the surface.

Is that what pyro is about?

Not to mention the one that landed in the disabled fan section and nearly gassed a wee guy.

Arseholes.