Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Is this what Aberdeen fans felt like when they had to bullet Willie Miller? Hammell being a better player, obviously. 

Similar to John Connolly at Saints I’d say, although most fans were too young to remember he was a legend as a player. 

I don't think Hammell wanted to be manager but I think he took a gamble and decided it was now or never. 

So many guys that want a shot never get one. And his family and friends told him to take the chance or he might regret it for the rest of his life. He can get another job at youth level. This was his only chance to be a manager.

Now that it’s happened I’m fucking gutted. I loved Hammell as a player and wanted him to succeed so badly. This is obviously the right decision, if a bit late, but he’s a good guy and I’ve loads of time for him.

If we could find a way to keep him at the club in a similar role that he was in I’d probably be good with that but think that’d send out all the wrong messages and is probably a non-starter.

Taking on this job was just too early for him if management is something he still wants to pursue. A lower league gig with less pressure and less of a mess when he first took over should have been his first step but this opportunity came up and he gave it a go, fair play. But he should have recognised when it wasn’t working and probably walked himself but thats easier said than done. No one likes giving up, especially people who’ve made a living in a highly competitive environment like professional football.

Where to next? f**k knows. I dread to think the calibre of manager that would fancy taking over this shit show.

3 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

If we could find a way to keep him at the club in a similar role that he was in I’d probably be good with that but think that’d send out all the wrong messages and is probably a non-starter.

Kettlewell got offered that at Ross County when he was sacked as manager, but it’s always the time to move on.

I mean, he leaves the club with 1 (ONE) league win at home all season and a win % of 25%.

The board obviously gave him enough rope but in hindsight it takes some amount of chutzpah to think you can walk into a Premiership job with precisely zero first team management experience and be assisted by your pal who got Albion Rovers relegated.

Tbh, I can see how everyone lost the run of themselves post-Grezza and the fact he won his first game may have meant everyone involved in the decision making bought into it. I'm repeating myself but it really feels like everyone looked at the mid-long term pitch and whatever PowerPoint presentation Hammell gave but forgot to engage with the short term question of whether he and Kerr were actually good enough coaches for this level of football.

I've said it plenty but it bears repeating fact that we're 6 months into his time and there's not a single player who has improved on his and Kerr's watch while the squad en masse has regressed to the level it has reflects terribly on them.

It's not really that much of a stretch to think that there was more than a bit of truth in the chat about us being a shambles at training. Sure the players take some of the blame but I guess Hammell's been part of dressing rooms that have downed tools to get shot of managers in the past as well.

It's an unfortunate outcome given who he is but while you can mitigate the circumstances around how he got the job this shitshow is 100% a consequence of a number of really bad choices that he's made.

Screenshot2023-02-11at21_59_24.thumb.png.66e929ad6a623737b27cfd61077e967a.png

I saw Hammell make his debut, he was the first player that I watched his entire career (there were probably others but he was the only one I noted).  My football career was limited to primary school where I was a left back and have always had an affinity with Motherwell players in that position.

I never called for his head but recognised that it wasn’t working, the ‘sacked in the morning’ made me sad.

I hope we get the next appointment right.  What is Rab McKinnon doing?

4 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Kettlewell got offered that at Ross County when he was sacked as manager, but it’s always the time to move on.

Yeh, it’s a non starter. In an ideal world I wish we could rewind but parting ways is the only realistic way forward.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

I never called for his head but recognised that it wasn’t working, the ‘sacked in the morning’ made me sad.

Wasn’t there, was that our fans singing that? If so, those folk can GTF. We’ve done the right thing in parting ways but surely no-one wants this to end bitterly. Hammell will always be a legend from his time as a player.

2 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Yeh, it’s a non starter. In an ideal world I wish we could rewind but parting ways is the only realistic way forward.

Wasn’t there, was that our fans singing that? If so, those folk can GTF. We’ve done the right thing in parting ways but surely no-one wants this to end bitterly. Hammell will always be a legend from his time as a player.

Raith started it Well fans quickly joined in, lasted 20 or 30 seconds

Just now, Mr Hahn said:

It was the Raith Rovers crowd that started the chant, but a lot of our support joined in as well.

I understand the booing, but that was pretty classless imo.

I wish Stevie Hammell all the best in what he goes on to do. He just didn't work out for us as manager. 

I would argue in some ways the Motherwell job is more attractive than the Aberdeen job. At least if you're a young manager 

At Pittodrie you'd be expected to finish 3rd, win a cup and not get your cheeks spanked by The Cheeks in games. Fail to do this and you're chased out of the North East by angry Dons and you might not get another job.

At Well to be honest the bare minimum is avoiding the drop. Get into the top 5 and you're doing fine. Get to a cup final or into Europe and you're doing great. Win a cup and you'll never have to buy a pint in Motherwell again. Basically top 5 finishes with Well over a number of seasons and the world's your oyster  And even if you muck it up there is still the possibility of another job- "ach, it was only Motherwell and they didn't have any money"

1 minute ago, rowsdower said:

Would we take someone we all know for a fact shat himself in school, or would we rather go for someone who may have shat themselves in school, but we just don't know?

I would prefer the mystery