Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I think Owen Coyle would give you the immediate bounce you clearly need.

He comes across as a positive person & someone who could increase the confidence in what looks like a drained squad.

The likes of Lambert/Ross/Goodwin, not so much.

Just my tuppenceworth from looking on from the outside. 

Possibly but with (I think) the exception of Kampman we've not bought a manager out of a contract in decades and doubt we'll start now.

I've no idea why Coyle would "inspire confidence". He's outspending most of the league and likes to play it off as underdog mentalists. Then when he drops points he spits his dummy out and kicks his legs about like a 4 year old.

He's regularly laughed at in the Championship when his post match interviews are posted.

Edited by Derry Alli

55 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I think Owen Coyle would give you the immediate bounce you clearly need.

He comes across as a positive person & someone who could increase the confidence in what looks like a drained squad.

The likes of Lambert/Ross/Goodwin, not so much.

Just my tuppenceworth from looking on from the outside. 

Owen Coyle last attempt at this league was a complete disaster (Hammell has more wins as manager in the top league in Scotland than him).  

Edited by Antiochas III

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Found Liam Kelly’s interview quite strange if I’m honest. Didn’t strike me as captain material and wouldn’t wholly inspire me if I was a Motherwell fan. Could see how much he was hurting though, which is one thing, I guess

Liam Kelly looks for coded messages in gaffer tapped inspirational messages.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Possibly but with (I think) the exception of Kampman we've not bought a manager out of a contract in decades and doubt we'll start now.

I suppose there are plenty out of work managers.

’Well quite often go leftfield. 

Not sure if that’s Alan Burrows historically? You’ll know better than me.
Obviously he’ll not get a say when he’s essentially working his notice for the next two weeks.

I’d also like to know how much influence he’ll have in recruiting Aberdeen’s new boss. 
He’d be senior to the Director of Football, so I’d think he’ll be in discussions privately with Dave Cormack already. 

It's not really a burrows thing. The left field appointments have been going on since McLean left, but it's been a mix.

Mcleish - was still an Aberdeen player at the time

Kampmann - managed the MYPA team that put us out of Europe.

Davies - was a current player 

Black - more of a normal kind of hire, could speak French.

Butcher - current assistant

Malpas - current assistant, Donald duck.

McGhee - bit of a coup at the time

Gannon - f**k sake/soap/soot

Brown - think him and Knox just happened to be walking by

McCall - kind of out of nowhere, won the fans over with emails, loved a right back.

Baraclough - see Gannon, stegosaurus

McGhee - was that allowed?

Robinson - current and previous assistant

Alexander - insert unrelated life lesson here 

Hammell - cheaper than Simo 

So 7(seven) of our last 15 managers were in employment when we hired them, 5 who were working for us at the time. Kampmann looks to be the only manager we've taken off another team (can't remember if Gannon had been sacked by Stockport). 

Edited by rowsdower

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I suppose there are plenty out of work managers.

’Well quite often go leftfield. 

Not sure if that’s Alan Burrows historically? You’ll know better than me.
Obviously he’ll not get a say when he’s essentially working his notice for the next two weeks.

I’d also like to know how much influence he’ll have in recruiting Aberdeen’s new boss. 
He’d be senior to the Director of Football, so I’d think he’ll be in discussions privately with Dave Cormack already. 

He tried to talk both McCall and Robinson out of leaving, adding that to this season makes me think Alan can't be arsed hiring managers.

On the theme of other posters. McInnes at Killie, vastly experienced manager at this level not able to get a tune out his players. Mackay in Dingwall, vastly experienced manager and unable to get a tune out his players.

I’d echo, Dundee United I don’t get in the slightest but you could suggest rookie manager is the cause like us.

Hammell with a healthy ish GD of -11 (compared to the other bottom feeders) says in theory we have the squad to keep us up if correctly coached as in theory we’re not cut adrift. But to be fair if it wasn’t for August we’d be a basket case already. But we are also not in need of fine tweaking.

We are also a 6-0 drubbing away from being among the others in fairness. How did the Hunnorum not bury that team at Ibrox in December?

Edited by Kapowzer

5 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

What makes me even more heart sorry for Hammell is the fact that, although I can't claim to know how good he was at his previous job, you can probably say with a degree of confidence that both his post-playing jobs, he wouldn't have got at any other club, so you wonder where does a man who's worked at Motherwell for all of his adult life less 18 months goes from here. 

St Mirren I assume 

4 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Found Liam Kelly’s interview quite strange if I’m honest. Didn’t strike me as captain material and wouldn’t wholly inspire me if I was a Motherwell fan. Could see how much he was hurting though, which is one thing, I guess

He couldn’t quite get his tongue around who it was that didn’t have the right to be there, it certainly wasn’t the fans as he suggested.

I know there's been a fair bit of chat about us signing 9 players in January but it's worth mentioning that only 3 of them are actually signings beyond the summer (Blaney, Danzaki and Butcher).

Here's who's OOC in the summer:

O'Donnell, Carroll, McGinn, Johnston, Casey, Cornelius, Goss, Efford, Aitchison, Mandron

Loans expire: Furlong, Crankshaw, McKinstry, Obika

14 players in total.