Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

49 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Time will tell but for me that'd be a huge risk. It's one thing not expecting KVV2 to hit 20+ goals, another altogether to deliberately sign someone known for being a good player but not a good goalscorer.

Fwiw I agree Fletcher is not prolific as such. I think his best spell was 13 league goals in 27 appearances for Sheffield Wed 3-4 years ago. Other than that he has a 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 ratio or worse ! But apart from last season so did KVV whilst he has been in the UK.Β 

As I said following up from KVV is a daunting task. 24 league goals in 37 league appearances is insane for any striker at any club. If Fletcher signs and can hit double figures and also a fair number of assists then job done. Is he any less of a risk than signing an unknown who may end up being Wes Fletcher rather than Steven Fletcher.Β 

Regardless who we sign we need other strikers and forward players to contribute more. Be looking for goals from Obika, Efford and Spittal and Slattery will no doubt contribute 🀞. 

Edit to add. Β Just read post above from Casagolda. Great minds and all that…..

Edited by welldaft

If we sign a striker in the summer and for whatever reason it doesn't work out, we've previously had success at moving them on in January. See Jordan White and Alex Fisher as examples.

However, Fletcher's age and wage would make that a lot more difficult to achieve.Β 

We've seen even at the highest level with Ronaldo, that when a player reaches a certain age, their form can fall off a cliff. If it's not working out, we are hardly going to be able to say "come and take this guy who's out of form and 37 in two months and pay him 3k a week" in January. He also comes across as a guy with a fairly big ego which might not be the best guy to have around (I may be wrong, just my perception).

I've no doubt that he's an upgrade on what's on the building at the moment, I just have my concerns about us pinning our hopes on him.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Will fowler be near the first team?Β 

Granted, I know nothing about him, aside from quite a prolific season last year.Β 

Well he’ll be 22 in a few months so he’s too old to be kicking about the youth team.Β 

I imagine he’ll just be the equivalent of Robinson signing a Newell or a Manzinga or even Alexander signing Amaluzor. A cheap punt basically. A project player with some raw ability that we think we might be able to mould into a player.Β 

If we can, we’ve won a watch. If not, we’ll release him and I’m sure the lad will find his level- plus he’ll surely be a better player for having a year of full time football under his belt.Β 

I can’t see him making much of an impact coming straight from the juniors but you never know I suppose, Kettlewell obviously must see something in him. Β Β 

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Will fowler be near the first team?Β 

Granted, I know nothing about him, aside from quite a prolific season last year.Β 

Β 

11 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Well he’ll be 22 in a few months so he’s too old to be kicking about the youth team.Β 

I imagine he’ll just be the equivalent of Robinson signing a Newell or a Manzinga or even Alexander signing Amaluzor. A cheap punt basically. A project player with some raw ability that we think we might be able to mould into a player.Β 

If we can, we’ve won a watch. If not, we’ll release him and I’m sure the lad will find his level- plus he’ll surely be a better player for having a year of full time football under his belt.Β 

I can’t see him making much of an impact coming straight from the juniors but you never know I suppose, Kettlewell obviously must see something in him. Β Β 

Unlikely. Farmed out on loan the general consensus. Raith Rovers mooted as a destination based on nothing more than they’ve registered interest in the player.

I didn't realise he was 22.Β 

Loan probably seems the sensible option, Raith, if that is where he ends up, not a bad place to go and prove yourself.Β 

like you say Casagolda, if it was Josh fowler from some national league side I probably wouldn't bat an eye lid, similar to Amaluzor.Β 

I'll probably be proved completely wrong but I don't think we'll see Fletcher at either us or St Mirren.

I think he'll turn up at some English Div 1 team where they'll match the wages he was on at Dundee Utd.

31 minutes ago, santheman said:

I'll probably be proved completely wrong but I don't think we'll see Fletcher at either us or St Mirren.

I think he'll turn up at some English Div 1 team where they'll match the wages he was on at Dundee Utd.

Most likely…

I guess it depends on what his motivations and objectives are. If it is money then he will likely not stay in Scotland or the Scottish Premiership. That said he has been involved in Β£20m worth of transfers since his days at Hibs. I am sure he would have had a small slice of that or at least commensurate salary. So will an extra Β£1k or even Β£2k per week sway his decision ?Β 

He is married but not sure if he has any children that would mean he is more settled or less settled up here. I did not know he was born in England. So maybe staying up here does not have the pull it would for a Scottish born player. All supposition of course.Β 

If he does not end up at Fir Park then I hope he goes back down south.Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Most likely…

I guess it depends on what his motivations and objectives are. If it is money then he will likely not stay in Scotland or the Scottish Premiership. That said he has been involved in Β£20m worth of transfers since his days at Hibs. I am sure he would have had a small slice of that or at least commensurate salary. So will an extra Β£1k or even Β£2k per week sway his decision ?Β 

He is married but not sure if he has any children that would mean he is more settled or less settled up here. I did not know he was born in England. So maybe staying up here does not have the pull it would for a Scottish born player. All supposition of course.Β 

If he does not end up at Fir Park then I hope he goes back down south.Β 

Β 

According to Wiki he was born in England and moved about a lot as his dad was in the army before moving to Hamilton when he was 10 (went to the same school as me but I was long gone by then). I've no idea if the area still has a pull on him but Motherwell/St. Mirren wouldn't make much of a difference.Β 

Considering our front line currently consists of Obika, Shields & Efford, Steven Fletcher would be a monumental upgrade.Β 

In saying that, I wouldn't expect, or want, Motherwell to pay the sort of salary Dundee Utd were paying him. If he can fit within our structure, get him in. If not, all the best to him.

Β 

Edited by Desp

5 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Β 

Unlikely. Farmed out on loan the general consensus. Raith Rovers mooted as a destination based on nothing more than they’ve registered interest in the player.

Any murmurings about whether he impressed in Holland andΒ  he could develop into the real deal?Β 

9 academy graduates in the one year seems like a lot. Have we not historically ran with a much smaller youth squad than most due to budgets?

Is this a particularly talented cohort or is it a change in approach from the club? Or have I made all that up?

2 minutes ago, stu92 said:

9 academy graduates in the one year seems like a lot. Have we not historically ran with a much smaller youth squad than most due to budgets?

Is this a particularly talented cohort or is it a change in approach from the club? Or have I made all that up?

22/23

21/22

18/19

4 minutes ago, stu92 said:

I think the academy graduates now have to make up the under 18 and reserve squad, which probably attributes to the high numbers, where previously it was just the under 20s.

I assume the club are hoping the anomaly from February - May, where we were able to fill the reserve team with 7 or 8 first team players, doesn't repeat itself.

Β 

38 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Any murmurings about whether he impressed in Holland andΒ  he could develop into the real deal?Β 

Hard to gauge. I was there for the Tuesday game where he appeared for the second half. All about minutes in the legs so don’t really look past that.

I have though seen him lead the line in top tier of West of Scotland league earlier this year & would suggest no better than our development players. Not to say he can’t succeed taking the unorthodox route, just feel some need to realise the step up is massive.

Just now, Onthefringes said:

Hard to gauge. I was there for the Tuesday game where he appeared for the second half. All about minutes in the legs so don’t really look past that.

I have though seen him lead the line in top tier of West of Scotland league earlier this year & would suggest no better than our development players. Not to say he can’t succeed taking the unorthodox route, just feel some need to realise the step up is massive.

Cheers bud.

So a speculative signing and certainly wont be ahead of Sheilds who already has folk wanting him out the door.

Best to be realistic.

Announce Dipo! πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„