Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Caveat with highlights videos etc but I like the look of him - Ally Gorrin and, dare I say it, Al Campbell vibes ripping oot the lad. Either way definteley a type of player we don't have in there.

Going by the limited highlights we've got I definitely see the Gorrin (and Campbell) comparisons. Hopefully it won't take him 6 months to be good like Ally Gorrin.

I noticed this bit of discourse on Motherwell Twitter last night and it kind of takes us back to the discussion on here around the time that The Terrace boys had Goss in their Top 10 Defensive Midfielders list:

@RandomGuy. did a radar for Goss on this thread a while back, it'd be interesting to see how Zdravkovsi compares - that YouTube clip I posted is basically 5 mins of him recovering balls and pinging passes (and I'm here for it).

On 18/06/2023 at 20:53, RandomGuy. said:

goss.thumb.png.8ff7f60cde9a4dfd1896c41e8bae70ba.png

Probably makes him average/above average as a deep midfielder (bottom half of chart), and replacing him in possession looks like it could be the hard bit as hes an outlier there.

I suppose one of the knock ons of this is that it raises the question of where Barry Maguire fits in terms of game time as we've got Spittal/Tierney for the attacking midfielder spot, Zdravkovsi/Miller for the Goss role and Slattery/Paton as the options for the #8. Maguire's role would seem to be a general auxiliary option to cover various positions which is fine but doesn't give the impression he's going to be starting every week (if that's what he wants).

Edited by capt_oats

Those railings are bizarre. I genuinely cannot see how given the pictures that it won’t affect the view of those sitting near them and along the front rows. I mean surely the club would have ensure this would have minimal impact if any on the view of the pitch. Surely……it is Motherwell of course 🤷‍♂️. I can see it kicking off after the game today. 

As to the Q around Barry Maguire. Sadly he is not good enough for the top flight. A dependable player at championship level or league one. I would expect he is one of the players who would have been told they will get limited if any game time. Up to him if he wants to stay or push on and prove he can play at this level. 

Edited by welldaft

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Going by the limited highlights we've got I definitely see the Gorrin (and Campbell) comparisons. Hopefully it won't take him 6 months to be good like Ally Gorrin.

I noticed this bit of discourse on Motherwell Twitter last night and it kind of takes us back to the discussion on here around the time that The Terrace boys had Goss in their Top 10 Defensive Midfielders list:

@RandomGuy. did a radar for Goss on this thread a while back, it'd be interesting to see how Zdravkovsi compares - that YouTube clip I posted is basically 5 mins of him recovering balls and pinging passes (and I'm here for it).

I suppose one of the knock ons of this is that it raises the question of where Barry Maguire fits in terms of game time as we've got Spittal/Tierney for the attacking midfielder spot, Zdravkovsi/Miller for the Goss role and Slattery/Paton as the options for the #8. Maguire's role would seem to be a general auxiliary option to cover various positions which is fine but doesn't give the impression he's going to be starting every week (if that's what he wants).

Suspect the idea is that Maguire gets plenty game time... somewhere else.

Not getting too excited about the new guy based a compilation but he certainly looks like the sort of player we were short of there.

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Those railings are bizarre. I genuinely cannot see how given the pictures that it won’t affect the view of those sitting near them and along the front rows. I mean surely the club would have ensure this would have minimal impact if any on the view of the pitch. Surely……it is Motherwell of course 🤷‍♂️. I can see it kicking off after the game today.

I don't see how that can't get in the view to an extent but whether it's enough to merit the inevitable outrage, who knows.

Looking at it I'd assume there are legal/safety requirements needing met somehow, otherwise it seems very odd indeed. Any experts in that field?

1 hour ago, Blink182 said:

F1l5QZPXwAEiaUA.thumb.jpeg.212198c5b11bc7533d2b14e15184955d.jpeg

I mean that really doesn't look great does it. 

Seems the East Stand is getting further away from the pitch. Also it was probably the least restrictive view, now seems if your near the front looking up either side will be impeded somewhat?

Thank god my season ticket is in the Cooper,

46 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Fingers crossed the new guy is more Gorrin and less Danzaki. 

Its good that folk are getting excited over a boy with a foreign sounding name, having never seem him play. 

No like we've had to endure Casper Sloth, Sondre Sol Johansen or Riku Danzaki in recent times, is it? 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Interested to know what the view is like with those railings in place. I'm down the front of the Hunter and it was already a worse view last season with the pitch changes. Maybe the photo angle is exaggerating the size of it. 

Surely they wouldn't deliberately build something that restricts people's views?

I know everyone's talking about the railings at the front but the (what look like) blackout curtains at the back seem like they're deliberately there to obstruct people's view.

@Busta Nut already flagged this ages ago as one of Boab Park's ongoing crusades.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't see how that can't get in the view to an extent but whether it's enough to merit the inevitable outrage, who knows.

Looking at it I'd assume there are legal/safety requirements needing met somehow, otherwise it seems very odd indeed. Any experts in that field?

Not quite an expert but I've got a rough idea of the requirements. I commented before in response to an earlier picture that I was surprised there wasn't a handrail at that stage - if there is a difference in height from one side to the other of 600mm (roughly 2 feet) there needs to be something to stop people falling and that has to be about a metre high so the concrete wall isn't high enough. The steel is likely to be around 50mm in diameter so hopefully narrow enough for people's eyes to focus beyond. The design will be dictated by the regulations rather than spectator visibility unfortunately. 

Sorry- a bit dull but you did ask!😄

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Goss has changed, as I've managed to improve the defensive stuff to be more accurate (I think 😅 it no longer thinks Jacob fucking Butterfield was a capable defender anyway), but here they are.

Caveat that Goss is being compared to 5 seasons of Premiership, and Motherwell, players, while Zdravkovski is being compared to just 1 season of Cypriot top flight, and Limassol, players. Means Zdravkovski might have some figures look really high/really low just due to the small sample size, so you maybe just compare things within the chart to see style rather than trying to gauge any quality from it.

gossy.thumb.png.bd4628fc6888db0a5b7bf051bcd56791.png

Seems like one suited to being a deeper CM.

"Passing profile" seems similar? Conservative passes the most common, then more progressive ones from deep, but not many in the final 3rd.

Probably won't carry the ball very far or be in the opponents box much. Decent aerial figures can usually suggest they're physically sound, and he seems okay with that, so would suggest hes probably going to be more physically able than Goss, but just guessing.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Not quite an expert but I've got a rough idea of the requirements. I commented before in response to an earlier picture that I was surprised there wasn't a handrail at that stage - if there is a difference in height from one side to the other of 600mm (roughly 2 feet) there needs to be something to stop people falling and that has to be about a metre high so the concrete wall isn't high enough. The steel is likely to be around 50mm in diameter so hopefully narrow enough for people's eyes to focus beyond. The design will be dictated by the regulations rather than spectator visibility unfortunately. 

Sorry- a bit dull but you did ask!😄

So TL;DR - I'll be looking at a fence for ever more 🙂

Guys a quick question about buying the tickets for the game today. So I have logged in and got my reserved seat in my basket. How do I purchase tickets for the other two season ticket holders in my “ network” .

im just going round in circles !

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Goss has changed, as I've managed to improve the defensive stuff to be more accurate (I think 😅 it no longer thinks Jacob fucking Butterfield was a capable defender anyway), but here they are.

Caveat that Goss is being compared to 5 seasons of Premiership, and Motherwell, players, while Zdravkovski is being compared to just 1 season of Cypriot top flight, and Limassol, players. Means Zdravkovski might have some figures look really high/really low just due to the small sample size, so you maybe just compare things within the chart to see style rather than trying to gauge any quality from it.

Seems like one suited to being a deeper CM.

"Passing profile" seems similar? Conservative passes the most common, then more progressive ones from deep, but not many in the final 3rd.

Probably won't carry the ball very far or be in the opponents box much. Decent aerial figures can usually suggest they're physically sound, and he seems okay with that, so would suggest hes probably going to be more physically able than Goss, but just guessing.

Thanks RG.

The passing profile was probably the aspect I was most interested in as it was a big part of what Goss offered to the side and instinctively felt like it would be one of the most difficult things to recreate. From looking at the comparison it seems like he's been brought in with a view to him being 'in the style of...'.

It feels like him being described as a "defensive midfielder" on his Wiki and Transfermarkt is possibly going to skew some expectations of what he might be. As I mentioned in the earlier post there's an argument that Goss would have been bracketed as a "defensive midfielder" under Kettlewell which wouldn't be how a chunk of our fanbase would have seen him.

In terms of him being suited to being a deeper CM that checks out as pretty much all the available footage has him receiving the ball in the defensive third and playing passes.

Surprising to hear about the decent aerial figures as he's supposedly only 5ft 9". His YouTube clips have him looking quite robust though, which is where I'd guess some of the Allan Campbell comparisons earlier in the thread are coming from.

Edited by capt_oats

Fwiw: here's a much longer (13 mins) video than the one posted yesterday.

Again, it's broadly Zdravkovski receiving the ball taking a couple of touches then playing the pass with an additional 'tackling' section. Given the busts we've had in terms of Sloth, Danzaki etc it's reasonable to be cautious but there are definite similarities to the likes of Gorrin and Goss IMO.

At the very least you can see how/where he might fit in the Kettlewell shape.