Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 22/07/2023 at 09:00, Blink182 said:

F1l5QZPXwAEiaUA.thumb.jpeg.212198c5b11bc7533d2b14e15184955d.jpeg

I mean that really doesn't look great does it. 

Seems the East Stand is getting further away from the pitch. Also it was probably the least restrictive view, now seems if your near the front looking up either side will be impeded somewhat?

What was the verdict?

The biggest question mark for me after yesterday is Tierney. He is the only player that hasn't had any game time so far and surely needs minutes. Need to get him out on loan if we ain't going to use him

I thought I heard booing when he came on. That's embarrassing behavior from our fans. Not sure what that's meant to improve, and that explains the managers comments after the match.

We're a nice wee club though, and good players should stay with us forever.

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

McGinley getting booed onto the park was a bit shite. He's fought his way back from whatever is was that was wrong with him and it'll be good if he can get his career back on track.

Not for Motherwell, like. Some other c***s can sign him. 

You know that really pissed me off big time and it's the one thing that makes me question why I keep going to games to listen to the brain dead moron boo boys amongst our support.

As I get older I get less and less tolerant of them.

38 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Please tell me Kettlewell didn’t say “Motherwell fans know Nathan is a good player”?

I sincerely hope he’s over his issues/injuries but we all know he’s terrible at fitba. 

As someone said to me when we didn’t re-sign Moult (a major mistake imo ) “we’re not a charity”

He did. I was not at the game yesterday and although I am not his biggest fan it is bang out of order if he (or any other Motherwell player) were booed coming on to the park.

To be honest I am quite happy he said that. For me I like Managers that are good at man management. I think they get the best out of players rather than those that can be stubborn and or confrontational like Alexander and end up falling out with a lot of players. 

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

What was the verdict?

I think that photo is misleading. At first I thought and said that must be an obstacle. But watching on TV yesterday it actually looks a lot smaller from a distance. I am going to go to the East Fife game so will make my own judgement. That said I am in row P in East stand so should be far enough back to be fine 🤞

Not for a second saying it will happen with Maguire and McGinley, but how many times have we seen players improve under new management and different styles? 

Some of our fanbase need to get a grip on reality. Certain sections wrote off KvV, Moult and Higdon in the past. Seems like, if you don't hit the ground running, any poor touch, misplaced pass or poor tackle/shot is met with abuse. 

Let's be honest too, there are certain players who could play outta their skin for 10 games in a row, then make a mistake and have the same folk back on their backs, it's fucking tiresome and there seems to be a small element of the support who revel in it. Aye, you can be frustrated at the fitba and vent that, fair enough, but some of it is over the line and seems to be aimed at a select few. There is a reason players play for Motherwell, they tend not to be the 'complete footballer'. 

21 minutes ago, welldaft said:

He did. I was not at the game yesterday and although I am not his biggest fan it is bang out of order if he (or any other Motherwell player) were booed coming on to the park.

To be honest I am quite happy he said that. For me I like Managers that are good at man management. I think they get the best out of players rather than those that can be stubborn and or confrontational like Alexander and end up falling out with a lot of players. 

Absolutely this.

I would have thought our fans would be learning "Kettlespeak" by now. Its similar to the Mandron situation where he was even able to be complimentary about the player even though it was clear he had signed Obika over him.

We've helped McGinley get back to full fitness after whatever difficulties he has had. That reflects well on us.

If we want to get McGinley another club and move him on, we need to convince other clubs that he has something to offer them. You dont do that by telling the world he is shite.

Soare is clearly no.1 pick at LWB for now (albeit he is way short of fitness) and Ewan Wilson has played more minutes than McGinley. Even if he is in the plans, it will be as a back up so pretty much the same situation as Lamie and Mugabi.

PS I agree that those booing McGinley onto the park are out of order.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

48 minutes ago, OhWell said:

The biggest question mark for me after yesterday is Tierney. He is the only player that hasn't had any game time so far and surely needs minutes. Need to get him out on loan if we ain't going to use him

He's probably knackered with all the procreating he's been doing tbf. 

He's by no means the second coming of Roberto Carlos, but McGinley is not as bad a player as many on here and elsewhere make him out to be. Boo boy victims have always had their shortcomings amplified, and echo chambers like fans forums and Twitter only make this ten times worse. Anyone booing their own player needs put in the bin, never mind those booing their own player coming back after over a year out. Embarrassing individuals.

I would not keep McGinley, even as 3rd choice left back. However the fans that booed him onto the pitch need to have a word with themselves-  it was cringeworthy.

Hopefully we can get Shields and McGuire off the books this week and bring in another striker. Unfortunately young Ferrie doesn’t protect/ keep the ball well enough at the moment and isn’t ready for the first team IMO. He lost a couple of balls yesterday that were 70/30 in his favour, hopefully we can get him out on loan for experience.

I would actually like to see an Obika/ Efford partnership as I think they could be an interesting combination. Hopefully Efford can recover quickly from his latest knock. If not I think we need 2 forwards before the window slams shut.

Im not a fan of SOD but he has been decent the last two games. I would still like to see us sign another RWB tho .

8 minutes ago, stu92 said:

He's by no means the second coming of Roberto Carlos, but McGinley is not as bad a player as many on here and elsewhere make him out to be. Boo boy victims have always had their shortcomings amplified, and echo chambers like fans forums and Twitter only make this ten times worse. Anyone booing their own player needs put in the bin, never mind those booing their own player coming back after over a year out. Embarrassing individuals.

Exactly, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure McGinley has never played in the wingback position for us just as a LB so to write him off before he's even been tried there is a nonsense.

It's been so long since I've seen him play I can't even remember if he's good bad or Indifferent but those with better memories seem to have made their minds up already.

2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Not for a second saying it will happen with Maguire and McGinley, but how many times have we seen players improve under new management and different styles? 

Some of our fanbase need to get a grip on reality. Certain sections wrote off KvV, Moult and Higdon in the past. Seems like, if you don't hit the ground running, any poor touch, misplaced pass or poor tackle/shot is met with abuse. 

Let's be honest too, there are certain players who could play outta their skin for 10 games in a row, then make a mistake and have the same folk back on their backs, it's fucking tiresome and there seems to be a small element of the support who revel in it. Aye, you can be frustrated at the fitba and vent that, fair enough, but some of it is over the line and seems to be aimed at a select few. There is a reason players play for Motherwell, they tend not to be the 'complete footballer'. 

This describes one of my mates to a tee. 

He had Wilkinson down as "shite" the day he signed based on a 5 minute highlight reel he saw of him on Youtube. 

Regardless of result, he will always find something negative to say. It's a shame as he's the only other one in my group of mates who also supports Motherwell but I don't even bother discussing anything with him as I'll disagree with pretty much everything he says. 

30 minutes ago, stu92 said:

My memory is that he was a fine defender but his distribution was poor.

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

My memory is that he was a fine defender but his distribution was poor.

I know it's unfair to make defining judgements on single incidents but I'll never forget him attempting a backheel turn at Tannadice, falling over, handling the ball to prevent a break and scoring an own goal from the resulting free kick.

He certainly shouldn't have been booed on yesterday though.

9 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It is fine.

The railing could be a little bit lower but even the seats right next to the barrier aren't bad.

It certainly didn't look as bad from where I was in The Cooper.