Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Sadly I think to add any quality we need to clear out the dreck first. We've been burning money like the K-Foundation in the past year on shite transfers, shiter contract extensions and even shiter managerial appointments.

Aye exactly. It’s been quite clear that previous mistakes needed to rectified before we could properly look forward. Kettlewell seems to be doing well in the first stage of that - clearing out the players he didn’t feel were up to it. He will, however, as all managers tend to do, live and die by his signings and only time will tell on that front. 

I’m 💯 in agree with you guys in relation to clearing the decks to get the quality in.

However with the wage bill reduction will we be able to replace KVV, Max J and Furlong adequately. 

I genuinely do not think so. 

Soare, SODs and Wilkinson are downgrades. That much isn’t in doubt for me. Hopefully the three he brings in will add the quality which I think, especially up front we badly need. 

11 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I’m 💯 in agree with you guys in relation to clearing the decks to get the quality in.

However with the wage bill reduction will we be able to replace KVV, Max J and Furlong adequately. 

Soare, SODs and Wilkinson are downgrades. That much isn’t in doubt for me. Hopefully the three he brings in will add the quality which I think, especially up front we badly need. 

Yeh, we’re definitely short at full back and upfront. Both areas that are key for Kettlewell’s formation. So it’ll be vital that of the 3 signings we source some quality in there. Personally, fairly comfortable with our midfield and defence options. 

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

Yeh, we’re definitely short at full back and upfront. Both areas that are key for Kettlewell’s formation. So it’ll be vital that of the 3 signings we source some quality in there. Personally, fairly comfortable with our midfield and defence options. 

Yeah I am also in full agreement.

However if Scott Burns is anything to go bye then we will be going with SODs at RWB this season or maybe McGinn. He stated we aren’t looking at that position for signings…. 

Tbf with Johnston, Furlong and an unHammelled KVV we were literally the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country between February and May. I suppose in that sense it's unlikely we're able to replace that sort of quality anyway. I'd be happy enough if whoever Ketts brings in is enough to muddle along to 7th or 8th again without the drama of last season.

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbf with Johnston, Furlong and an unHammelled KVV we were literally the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country between February and May. I suppose in that sense it's unlikely we're able to replace that sort of quality anyway. I'd be happy enough if whoever Ketts brings in is enough to muddle along to 7th or 8th again without the drama of last season.

It's an unfair game...

Stephen O'Donnell was playing in the Euros two years ago.  Aye, he had a shite season last time out, be with the fall out with Alexander to then seeing Max Johnston come through, but he's still a decent enough Premiership full back.

I think he'll do well for us this season, particularly if we stick with a back three and allow him the freedom to get up and join the attacks from wing-back.

We definitely need a couple (at least) in the forward areas, but right wing-back isn't something we need to worry about IMO.  

2 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

In Fairness, I don't think anybody is expecting us to match the quality of those 3, in fact it is impossible on our budget. Van Veen in particular, if we can replace him with 2 strikers that chip in with 9-12 goals through out the season then that is adequate. 

Max Johnstone, another hard to replace, he's worth probably about 2 million, 3 absolute max, Motherwell can't replace that, same when we lost Turnbull, and it will be the same when Miller inevitably leaves as well. 

I do think the English prem will be littered with very competent full backs they are looking to fire out on loan.

Not that I think we will be actively looking at any full backs, with sods mcginn, Souare, Mcginley and Wilson.

Edited by Neil86

4 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Are we ruling out a return for Furlong? Would still imagine we'd look to bring him back on loan if Brighton haven't met their loan quota. Maybe one for later in the window? 

Didn't travel with Brighton to the USA for pre-season but was linked with a loan move to Preston. 

25 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Are we ruling out a return for Furlong? Would still imagine we'd look to bring him back on loan if Brighton haven't met their loan quota. Maybe one for later in the window? 

If we are going to get him back on loan it'll be very much last minute. They're only allowed 4 loans out I'm sure and they'll not want to use one of those so early in the window while they decide what they're doing with the squad.

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

If we are going to get him back on loan it'll be very much last minute. They're only allowed 4 loans out I'm sure and they'll not want to use one of those so early in the window while they decide what they're doing with the squad.

We can’t get him back, there are issues over the deal technically but it was confirmed we tried but he wasn’t coming back which is why we signed Souare. 

4 hours ago, ropy said:

So we could draw Airdrie with us being the unseeded team or we could pip them to that seeded position and draw Airdrie.  It could be home or away in either scenario. 

Exactly!

I’d say though we are nap to play one of the old firm if we are unseeded. We would never be that lucky to get a seeded diddy .

Meanwhile Rangers will be at home to whatever unseeded team finished lowest in the league structure last season .

This may not be what people want to hear - but there is over a month of transfer window to go and even though we've done a bit of a clearout, we might end up waiting a while yet for all the incomings as English (and many european) clubs are in early pre-season and are probably not at the point where they know who they are loaning out (and it's very rare that we aren't doing business on the last day of the window). 

I'd imagine that we'll add another forward soon as we are very short but we probably won't have all of the needed players in for the start of the season.

19 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

FPC report here: http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/well_society_agm_2023_974171/index.shtml

Spoiler, it does not sound a thriller.

Did I read "Income from members was £200k and after expenses the funds increased by around £155k" as the Society has expenses of £45k? Are the board members paid?