Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

It is getting beyond a joke now. Please Ketts just let him go. He clearly isn’t up tae it. Get a plank from any building site, plant it in the D outside our penalty area… Still better than Mugabi 🤦‍♂️

Almost feel sorry for him. Clearly out of his depth and lacking in confidence. Has been given chance after chance by 4 different managers now 

I'm genuinely really intrigued by whatever has happened to #Grezza during his year off btw. (Not enough to watch MK Dons highlights but still.) Winning 5-3 the other week and now this mental looking comeback. Maybe being replaced by Stevie Hammell is enough to make you question your entire footballing philosophy. 

Screenshot_20230819_235421_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6617f86738dcc7b74f3bdd1ac4c22e32.jpg

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm genuinely really intrigued by whatever has happened to #Grezza during his year off btw. (Not enough to watch MK Dons highlights but still.) Winning 5-3 the other week and now this mental looking comeback. Maybe being replaced by Stevie Hammell is enough to make you question your entire footballing philosophy. 

Screenshot_20230819_235421_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6617f86738dcc7b74f3bdd1ac4c22e32.jpg

I wonder if he's gotten him self sent off yet 

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

One of the reasons I was pro keeping GA beyond May 22 (not knowing all behind the scenes details) was the feeling that after three failures in a similar manner and a fourth wobbling, he'd have the sense to tweak things a bit.

His initial success everywhere suggests he has some manager ability - there's no reason that shouldn't continue if he can just be a little less himself.

I think Ketts will have learned a lot from today. The problem will be if he hasn't. Which I think Ross Co. fans warned us of if memory serves. I'm a big Ketts fan but I'll be watching with interest on that front. 

McGinn - Moving one of our most experienced and consistent performers out of the back 3 to play LWB was a shocker of a move. Maybe it was the least worst option when he looked at McGinley and Wilson. But if that's the case then there literally is no point on having them on the bench. Doubt McGinley could give us a full 90 but Wilson maybe would have stepped up to the plate. We'll never know.

Mugabi - He obviously likes Mugabi's size and ability to win a header. But it's clear as day he's not good enough in that back 3 at this level. Maybe if he was not the central defender pinned defender but he is. Ketts needs to swap him out and back to the bench 

Not Lennon Miller - At 16/17 he's so key to this team already. Big miss. Feel a bit sorry for Davor in there. He's a totally different player so it can't be a one for one swap imo. 

Up front - I'm sure Ketts sees the issues. Needs to be resolved pronto with a new body who gives us something different to the ones already there.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Ironically I took a dip into the MK Dons forum through the week after noticing they'd started the season with a couple of wins (I didn't realise they'd lost to Crawley the night prior) and it was an eye opener to see that GA still seems to be...divisive.

A lot of it feels pretty familiar tbh.

One thread titled - Long Ball Rubbish includes posts about him apparently not playing the erm..."MK Dons way..." 

Screenshot2023-08-20at08_55_57.thumb.png.6a05dc47d3466ac9f93e7bf32d45f218.png

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9091

There's also a (currently) 6 page thread titled - Graham Alexander 2 league games in - which feels a bit more balanced.

Screenshot2023-08-20at08_58_58.thumb.png.3338f2b7427ef094de121ade5ed54fe4.png

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9084

I think it is fair to say that the squad is needing an injection of quality in several positions. 

Like we all did not know there was no decent experienced cover for left back. Like we all did not know that either Lamie or Mugabi would likely let us down during the wait for Butcher to get fit. Another 3 months apparently. 

Elsewhere all it takes is another injury to Spittal or Slattery or Biereth etc to leave us painfully light in midfield and up front. 

Moving on 24 players is some going. Even though this includes plenty of players that would not make the 1st team. To bring in 5 or 6 options is simply not enough squad depth to last a season or even a few weeks of the season.

If he still has to move on players before others can come in then that is a worry after that overhaul. If as rumoured Lamie and Efford move on then that allows us to get hopefully two better options in those positions. 

But not at all surprised by the result yesterday. Having to change the line up / formation for one injury shows where the problems lie. Needing addressed pronto. 

Edited by welldaft

Unable to see the the match yesterday although saw East Fife and Hibs and saw highlights of The Dundee match. 

One thing I noticed was the lack of movement up front and not bringing the midfield into play. 

2nd half against Hibs saw changes and with it massive improvement. Link up better and closer together. 

Players need time to adapt but I have major doubts about Bair's skill set (unsure?) and although Wilkinson has a degree of skill, it's previously at a lower level (he has time to acclimatise to SPL football) 

Wingbacks seem less fluid from previous Max and Furlong, although SOD makes effort to overlap and get wide right. Also his cross balls from wide positions have been inviting. 

Soare looked better 2nd half against Hibs. 

Bevis is commanding in the air and is a unit, but, positionally against similar or better teams, his positional sense is poor and liable to mistakes. 

Interesting on folks opinions at match yesterday on how the front 2 operated yesterday and other areas performed?

P. S. Just my take on first glance of players and formations. 

Doubt it.

Apparently been trying to bring a young boy in on loan from Huddersfield to bolster the wing back options for a week or so now but we need bodies out to get it done. 

I imagine as we enter the final week or so of the window, we will see some more movement. As players will have to make up their mind about whether they really want to spend the next 4 months or so warming the bench. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

I think Ketts will have learned a lot from today. The problem will be if he hasn't. Which I think Ross Co. fans warned us of if memory serves. I'm a big Ketts fan but I'll be watching with interest on that front. 

On that very point, I was interested to hear his take on yesterdays game and I can only assume it was one of those interviews where what he says publicly is not what he actually thinks or said in the dressing room.

I know that’s part of good management, however from his comments you’d think we played okay-ish and there wasn’t much in the game. Fine, but I’d be concerned if he couldn’t see how individually and collectively shite we were.

I thought yesterday was a rare misstep from Kettlewell.

Shuffling the entire back line about in Souare’s absence seemed unnecessary. It made a defence that was looking organised and comfortable last week, look like a shaky rabble this week. 

We looked fairly toothless against Hibs until Biereth came on. No surprise it was much the same again this week. I have some sympathy because if he’s not fit enough to start, he doesn’t really have many other options at the minute. If Biereth is now actually injured as well, well it doesn’t really bare thinking about. 

Davor was getting some stick but again, I’m not sure this was the right game to drop someone unfamiliar with Scottish football into. It reminded me of Ilic away at Livi on the opening day a few years ago, where he had a look of ‘what the f**k is this’ about him as the ball spent more time in the air than on the deck. He also wasn’t helped by Slattery and Spittal having their poorest games of the season- I’m going to have a full on cranial detachment at some point this season if the latter continues to take our set pieces by the way. 

No complaints about the result. One shot on target(Bair from 25 yards) says it all really. Probably quite lucky we actually didn’t get picked off a couple of times at the end as we lost all shape when Efford and Ferrie came on. 

A limp cup exit in front of a big away crowd, Kettlewell’s sadly not the first Motherwell manager to suffer this and unfortunately I doubt he’ll be the last. 

Edited by Casagolda

3 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Can the thread go back to curry chat now? Last few pages have been pretty poor by its standard. 

I forgot to say, last week I had one of the chicken tikka chasni pies. It was quite nice but I think it would have permanently stained the concrete, never mind any clothing, if I'd dropped anything!

On 18/08/2023 at 09:46, Adamski said:

A fairly random piece of memorabilia I spotted in a charity shop a couple of days ago: a drum signed by Motherwell players.

(It’s in Kinder Handl in Battlefield, just in case there’s currently an autographed drum shaped hole in your life.)

86C561C6-65A0-4041-AC6C-88784851EAB9.jpeg

How much was the dog?

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Ironically I took a dip into the MK Dons forum through the week after noticing they'd started the season with a couple of wins (I didn't realise they'd lost to Crawley the night prior) and it was an eye opener to see that GA still seems to be...divisive.

A lot of it feels pretty familiar tbh.

One thread titled - Long Ball Rubbish includes posts about him apparently not playing the erm..."MK Dons way..." 

Screenshot2023-08-20at08_55_57.thumb.png.6a05dc47d3466ac9f93e7bf32d45f218.png

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9091

There's also a (currently) 6 page thread titled - Graham Alexander 2 league games in - which feels a bit more balanced.

Screenshot2023-08-20at08_58_58.thumb.png.3338f2b7427ef094de121ade5ed54fe4.png

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9084

More than one poster said "the MK way" apparently completely in earnest. Then again going by the site name they have a sense of humour.

As annoyed as I am by SK having a stinker yesterday, so long as he learns from it I'm still totally fine.

I generally hate the term transitional season because in Scotland you don't keep your team together long enough to transition to anything... you're either good or you're not and next season you start again.

But that said, given our 'rollercoaster' from January 22, I'd bite your arm off for a solid, if frustrating, transitional season.

If two teams are adrift so we're safe early, even if we end up 10th but blood youngsters, clear deadwood, give our promising - but still relatively inexperienced - manager time to learn etc and go into 24/25 with foundations not held together by sellotape and prayers, I'll consider this season time well spent.

Even if I still moan about our cup exits.