Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Never mind having a Van Veen, even one of the chances we had today has to be buried regardless who it falls to! 

Thats 2 weeks in a row Shaw has came on and passed the ball back to the keeper! 

The one last week might have been offside but the way he went about finishing it was embarrassing. You'd see more composure at Goals Shawlands.

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Never mind having a Van Veen, even one of the chances we had today has to be buried regardless who it falls to! 

Thats 2 weeks in a row Shaw has came on and passed the ball back to the keeper! 

That is a tad harsh imho. 

I know Sportscene highlights do not always do justice but actually felt we were not as unlucky as been made out. Kelly brought off 2,3 even 4 very decent saves. They had more possession and almost twice as many shots. Yes their goal was a fluke. And yes Slattery and Paton had good efforts just wide.

Shaws effort was on target and was hit with pace. Granted it was straight at keeper but Butland is a good goalie and narrowed the angle.

The ball never fell for us today. Much like last week. It happens but hopefully once we get past Celtic we can get back to picking up points. Not saying we cannot next weekend but I suspect similar performance and outcome. Plucky losers 😩

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Folk always say that teams like this will eventually click one day and absolutely batter someone then it never seems to happen (apart from Hammellball putting 5 past Ross County) but I do think we're going to absolutely batter someone.

Ft: Motherwell 4-0 Celtic 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

That is a tad harsh imho. 

I know Sportscene highlights do not always do justice but actually felt we were not as unlucky as been made out. Kelly brought off 2,3 even 4 very decent saves. They had more possession and almost twice as many shots. Yes their goal was a fluke. And yes Slattery and Paton had good efforts just wide.

Shaws effort was on target and was hit with pace. Granted it was straight at keeper but Butland is a good goalie and narrowed the angle.

The ball never fell for us today. Much like last week. It happens but hopefully once we get past Celtic we can get back to picking up points. Not saying we cannot next weekend but I suspect similar performance and outcome. Plucky losers 😩

Having been at the game, I would disagree. Rangers maybe had more possession, but for the most part it was in front of us and wasnt harming us at all. The chances on Sportscene were literally everything good they did in the game.

When we got the ball we moved it quickly and got into some very good positions and had some very good chances.

Not saying we deserved to win the game, but we certainly didnt deserve to lose.

If we get the same level of performance next week we wont be far away.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Folk always say that teams like this will eventually click one day and absolutely batter someone then it never seems to happen (apart from Hammellball putting 5 past Ross County) but I do think we're going to absolutely batter someone.

I don't think we have the finishing in our team for that to happen...a click might see us batter someone 2-0 but the score won't run up.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Thumped v Celtic, game after that you'll start to edge towards a better performance again but things just wont come off, then game after that itll all click and youll batter the poor team your facing.

*checks fixture list*

Fucking hell.

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I enjoyed booing that Rice child.

That annoyed me again yesterday.

Watching Miller who's started every game this season, Rice who's an option for ten minutes when everyone else in the squad is injured. 

Cannot fathom how that's improving anyone.

42 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

That annoyed me again yesterday.

Watching Miller who's started every game this season, Rice who's an option for ten minutes when everyone else in the squad is injured. 

Cannot fathom how that's improving anyone.

Not a lot you can we can do there. Annoying as it is 

We can give it all the pathway chat, the fact he will play more at us etc. But if you and your family are a massive rangers supporting family and they come knocking with promises and money then chances are you take the deal.

Max Johnstone, on the other hand we definitely could have managed better. The decision to put him out on loan the start of last season was ridiculous. 

Edited by eliphas

Wasn’t there but having seen it back, I don’t think Shaw’s miss is as bad as being made out. 

A confident striker I’m sure takes that with his laces. However, it was the tentative finish of a man who hasn’t scored since July last year. Once again though, it looked like he made a positive impact in his short time on the park. 

Still, it does feel like some fans have made their mind up on Shaw(like Bair)before he’d even kicked a ball for us. He’s played about 40 mins so far and from what I’ve seen, he’s caused problems and we’ve carried more of a threat when he’s been on the pitch. 

Also funny how it’s now, if only we had Van Veen… When the big man was getting slaughtered by presumably the same sections of our support for large chunks of last season for being lazy and missing too many chances.  

Edited by Casagolda

41 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Wasn’t there but having seen it back, I don’t think Shaw’s miss is as bad as being made out. 

A confident striker I’m sure takes that with his laces. However, it was the tentative finish of a man who hasn’t scored since July last year. Once again though, it looked like he made a positive impact in his short time on the park. 

Still, it does feel like some fans have made their mind up on Shaw(like Bair)before he’d even kicked a ball for us. He’s played about 40 mins so far and from what I’ve seen, he’s caused problems and we’ve carried more of a threat when he’s been on the pitch. 

Also funny how it’s now, if only we had Van Veen… When the big man was getting slaughtered by presumably the same sections of our support for large chunks of last season for being lazy and missing too many chances.  

Shaw runs well and was there to miss two chances in about half an hour on the park, compared to Bair who has barely had two chances since Dens.

As fourth choice striker, he'll do. I've no doubt he'll score more than Bair this season.

Bair, as fifth choice, puts himself about. Would you ever want to play him, not really, but it'll take a lottery win for us ever to have a fifth pick striker you'll truly like.

For me the issue isn't Shaw and Bait being the level they are, it's looking at the three in front of them and going hmm rather than having any kind of confidence they're good enough.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

I think Shaw can come good and at least be an able replacement until Biereth gets fit again.

No harm to Theo, who has been way better than I expected, but Shaw looks more mobile and has a better touch than Theo, so would appear more suited to the lone striker role, which is what I think we need to do to keep controlling games as we are with the extra body in midfield. Nobody is going to run up a big score against us if we keep the ball.

Its how we turn this good play into goals and more importantly points is the question. But Im certain SK is aware of that and is actively working on it.

Getting Shaw fully fit and in the starting 11 would be a step in the right direction.....

It feels like we're kind of caught between 2 stools at the moment.

Kettlewell's been in charge for 25 games and we've only failed to score in 3 of them. Twice against St Mirren this season and yesterday against Rangers at Ibrox. The last 2 games is the first time we've failed to score B2B under Kettlewell.

We've obviously pivoted from the 3412 to this 3421 because of all the injuries which is getting us a foothold in games and giving us (effectively) 4 central midfielders on the park which has plus points and when you look at our performances you'd say that it's broadly working but there are also some (obvious) drawbacks.

Big CareBair is, ironically given the echo chamber doubling down @Casagolda mentions, doing the stuff he was brought to the club to do. He's acting as a foil - I'd be surprised if there was ever any expectation that a) he'd play as much as he had or b) that we'd get many goals out him.

I'd imagine we'll stick with the 4 CMs against Celtic at the weekend but after that given we had Shaw and Wilkinson come off the bench yesterday I guess the decision is whether we drop one (Paton?) to get a 2nd striker on the park from the start.

Edited by capt_oats