Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Ah, that was the penalty claim. Nah, not having that. Don't really see  Tavernier doing anything and I would have been livid if that was given against us.

I have watched it a few times now and you better believe if one of our defenders does that on Saturday it is a penalty and a red card. 

We got away with one for Biereths goal v Hibs imho. Seen fouls like that given frequently. So not saying it as all one way. Just even with VAR the Old firm will still get the benefit of the doubt more times than not. Larger more vocal crowd and a referees wish for a peaceful life etc.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

McKinstry linked with Scottish Championship sides.

Surprised hes having to drop to that level tbh.

When you're not the one that has (relative to their age) a big contract from a big club in front you, it's easy for supporters to say that moving too young can be a bad idea - but we all know it usually is.

It's very easy to get lost in youth systems at these sort of clubs, you might get 10 minutes in a league cup game for the first team to show for your efforts but when your initial contract is up, your CV can look very empty if you've not been on loan (or not set the heather alight when you have been).

McKinstry is better than the Championship but he sums up the luck element that every player needs in their career. A loan to us has done a lot of good for players' careers in the past but he arrived when we were a fucking laughing stock and given we don't do wingers, he had no chance at redemption that the rest of the first team got when Ketts came in.

Hope he does well wherever he ends up.

I liked him but he does seem to have a reputation that exceeds his (current)level.

Obviously between us being utter shite under Hammell and Kettlewell’s change of shape, it just didn’t really work out for him here last season. Which was a shame like as he clearly has ability but to be honest, at no point did I feel I was watching someone a bit special- like you get with Miller or Turnbull. 

Him and Penney were probably our two best players during the first half of last season and it does seem wild we’re heading into October and neither even has a club. However I don’t think based on what I saw last season that you could say he was ‘too good’ for the Championship. At 21 he’s still basically just a promising youngster living off his reputation at youth level that’s not really done a great deal in senior football.  

Ironically, I think he might actually suit playing as one of the 10’s in Kettlewell’s current system. I always thought it would be worth giving him a shot more centrally as technique/guile seemed to be his strong points over pace/dribbling. However for whatever reason, Kettlewell clearly just didn’t fancy him. 

As others have said good luck to him, hopefully he goes somewhere and gets himself some regular game time.

Mika may have pushed Fish a bit for his goal against Hibs, but people are forgetting one crucial thing, he had the decency to wait for him to recover before turning him inside out, then outside in, and smashing the ball into the net. He even let Hanlon get involved so he didn't feel left out. What a guy. 

Edited by MurrayWell

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

McKinstry linked with Scottish Championship sides.

Surprised hes having to drop to that level tbh.

I was excited as anyone when McKinstry rejoined us on loan but I have to admit to being pretty underwhelmed by his performances. From a numbers point of view, 4 goals was a decent return but even Joe Efford got more assists than him from half the number of appearances. 

I imagined after a few years of development Leeds he would've at least had a bit more about him physically.

It's been obvious his favoured position(s) didn't suit SK's formation. He did offer something different in that he had some flair and had some nice flashes but the fact he only managed 5mins playing time under SK last season and is now looking at the Scottish Championship kind of says it all.

Wish him all the best wherever he goes and he gets the run of games in a team that suits him.

Can you not buy tickets vs Celtic online? First time in a long, long time that I've not had a season ticket and just patg at the games I can make it to. Not had an issue so far and all the usual links are in place when I sign in to my account, but when I click 'buy' it just comes up 'no seats available matching your criteria' before I can even select stand etc.

I'm guessing it's to try and prevent the other lot accessing the home stands, but pain in the arse if I need to go over to the office.

13 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Can you not buy tickets vs Celtic online? First time in a long, long time that I've not had a season ticket and just patg at the games I can make it to. Not had an issue so far and all the usual links are in place when I sign in to my account, but when I click 'buy' it just comes up 'no seats available matching your criteria' before I can even select stand etc.

I'm guessing it's to try and prevent the other lot accessing the home stands, but pain in the arse if I need to go over to the office.

99% certain that is the case.  I think if you phone up you might be able to the QR code ticket emailed to you.  Assuming you'll have previous purchase history so you should be fine.

3 hours ago, tonicg said:

I was excited as anyone when McKinstry rejoined us on loan but I have to admit to being pretty underwhelmed by his performances.

This is me as well, to be fair.  He was very much a part of Hammell's shite side so he shouldn't be exempt from criticism.  Being a stand out (if you could even go that far) in that side isn't exactly praiseworthy, and neither is scoring a few consolation goals.

He's 21 now and barely played what, 20 senior games give or take?  He needs to play so if going to a club in the Scottish Championship can give him the game time he desperately needs, then all the best to him.  

Edited by Desp

A wee report on the u18s draw with United.

Motherwell team: Bogan, M.Ross, McDermott, Webb, Bone, Whyte, L.Ross, Forest, Tomany, Booth, Johnstone.

Motherwell subs: Lawson, McConnell, Wells, McLean, Flatman, Nelson, McAllister.

Edited by capt_oats

I imagine we are sending Ferrie out for our benefit and Wilson out for his.

If we've signed Gent and Souare, used two right footers in McGinn and Spencer on the left and preferred McGinley from the bench, then the writing was probably on the wall from that.

I also think we could get a tune out of McKinstry in the current formation - last season he probably wasn't a fit in the 3-5-2 system as playing as a 10 would have made him too much of a midfielder, whereas the current system would see him more of an attacker. I think that ship has sailed though and if Kettlewell did rate him / want him, he'd have got more minutes off the bench last season - particularly post split.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

It's very firmly grounded in Kettlewell speak but does it sound like we might see Biereth at some point in October or early November? I'd assumed it would be a while longer than that so that would be a boost. We don't play St Mirren again until December so it would be good to get at least a month out him this time.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's very firmly grounded in Kettlewell speak but does it sound like we might see Biereth at some point in October or early November? I'd assumed it would be a while longer than that so that would be a boost. We don't play St Mirren again until December so it would be good to get at least a month out him this time.

I thought the same tbh. We only have 2 games in October anyway so I'd be surprised if we risked anyone at that point but November sounds fair.

His comment that "we might see them getting close to the first team in two to three weeks" or words to that effect puts the timeframe pretty much during the international break.

Like, Biereth was projected to be back in November and that...sounds about right if we're able to get him back training during the break.

3 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

This is an absolute fucking nuisance tbh.