Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Permanent signing now , we stuck by him when he spent most of last season injured whilst  on loan. 

i was there last time we played you , we won i think ?

On penalties I believe although I don’t remember it.

I was sure I had gone to a game at Recreation Park where we also lost, but I don’t see a record of it, maybe it was a friendly?

22 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was sure I had gone to a game at Recreation Park where we also lost, but I don’t see a record of it, maybe it was a friendly?

In a long list of pathetic performances, that was one of the most disgraceful we've produced...we never even looked like scoring other than when one of their defenders almost passed it into his own net from 40 yards.

They did indeed win on penalties, Philliben (of course) and Falconer missed.

Just looked up the record myself too and amused to see Alloa unbeaten at FP in over 50 years, they'll arrive full of confidence!

Edited by Handsome_Devil

1 hour ago, ropy said:

must have been penalties as it finished 0-0 

I was at that Alloa game - it was one of these (in retrospect) quite funny ones where the Motherwell support gave the team (and especially McLeish) absolute pelters and then clapped Alloa off just to underline the point. 

That was the fag end of McLeish's time as our manager where he'd wrung anything decent out of what he had inherited and everyone just wanted him to go (but he remained weirdly popular with the Press at that stage) - I'm sure that was the season that ended up with us beating Rangers at Ibrox to spoil the title party, which then allowed us to avoid a play off with Airdrie (shudder) with the Van Der Gaag goal against the Pars on the last day.

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

I was at that Alloa game - it was one of these (in retrospect) quite funny ones where the Motherwell support gave the team (and especially McLeish) absolute pelters and then clapped Alloa off just to underline the point. 

That was the fag end of McLeish's time as our manager where he'd wrung anything decent out of what he had inherited and everyone just wanted him to go (but he remained weirdly popular with the Press at that stage) - I'm sure that was the season that ended up with us beating Rangers at Ibrox to spoil the title party, which then allowed us to avoid a play off with Airdrie (shudder) with the Van Der Gaag goal against the Pars on the last day.

Spot on, although if I remember rightly after the Alloa game, Mcleish lasted the rest of that season and half of the following season where his last act before moving to Hibs the following day, was to absolutely tank Hibs 🤣

46 minutes ago, Al B said:

Spot on, although if I remember rightly after the Alloa game, Mcleish lasted the rest of that season and half of the following season where his last act before moving to Hibs the following day, was to absolutely tank Hibs 🤣

I also remember clapping the alloa fans, there were a couple of hundred in the north end of the Main Stand.

McLeish soldiered on for ages when he was clearly a lost cause with us, it'd never happen in the modern era.

The Hibs game to finish was hilarious mind, we were 3-2 up at half time having been 2-0 down inside five minutes.