Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Oops! 😄

You're right. Now, is a midweek trip to Pittodrie more or less romantic than Fir Park?

You can stop at The Horn on the way up

1 hour ago, Ill Ray said:

Anyone heard any rumours or bored enough to create some with good ol’ realistic guesses.? 

There are a few interesting names of players whose contracts expire in the summer.

EFL League 1
EFL League 2
Premier League 2
Scottish Premiership

Looking back to last January obviously we went on a ludicrous trolley dash but although we seemed to sign Danzaki because Tam Aldred, Scott McDonald and Steven McGarry said he was a nice laddie and Blaney landed with us because he pinged one in from 30 yards for Sligo - a few of the others (Crankshaw, Aitchison, Butcher and Obika) were players known to the league.

I wonder how much of that was Hammell saying explicitly that he wanted players he knew (given the McKinstry, Moult and Aarons signings in the summer) or if it was Daws actively bringing them to the table and it was just coincidence that they'd played up here?

Of this summer's signings only Bair and Shaw had the same sort of background and in the case of Shaw, Kettlewell had already signed him for County which would suggest that it didn't come directly from the recruitment department.

28 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is Leeann coming back to steady the ship?

Could be good timing. We are looking for a CEO after all. She would have to work to a more realistic player budget than previously. 

I genuinely don’t know how good a job she did at Hibs or latterly at QP but on the few occasions I met her she was very switched on. She also would have the experience of working at other football clubs. Could be a win win all around. 

I guess it depends whether she would come back and whether the current Board would be open to that also. 

I’d seen an article recently that stated she had an operation that was linked to a cancer diagnosis. If true I’d imagine she wants some time to recover etc. 

I met her on a couple of occasions and agree she was switched on. She also told me she expected to be finished in football by 50. Given she has went past that by a few years maybe she feels it’s time to step away. She’s had a good 15 years or so in the game and has the highlight of being at the helm when Hibs finally won the Cup.  Financially speaking she is probably able to take an extended break if not a permanent one.

Edited by Quatermass

Biereth was training with Arsenal this morning. 

Hopefully it's just down to us being on a winter break, and not them recalling him.

Cause they done exactly that with Harry Clarke, sent him to hibs from Ross County before selling him straight to Stoke about two minutes later.

25 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Hopefully it's just down to us being on a winter break, and not them recalling him.

Cause they done exactly that with Harry Clarke, sent him to hibs from Ross County before selling him straight to Stoke about two minutes later.

Not sure how to interpret this. My gut feel is it is not good news. He is there player but you would expect he would get a winter break like the rest of the Motherwell players if he was staying after the break. Who knows but it seems a little strange. 

ed8d4403-0bcc-484c-83b7-649ae63f6371.jpeg

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Not sure how to interpret this. My gut feel is it is not good news. He is there player but you would expect he would get a winter break like the rest of the Motherwell players if he was staying after the break. Who knows but it seems a little strange. 

ed8d4403-0bcc-484c-83b7-649ae63f6371.jpeg

Surely makes sense for Arsenal to see how gets on with their first team when he doesnt have any commitments to Motherwell (im just assuming every side has taken a week off tbh).

Aye considering he's had an injury maybe arsenal want to assess him.

Still worrying.

Motherwell obviously have no say in the matter, and Kettlewell maybe sees it as a good learning curve, cause he's in with the first team.

Biereth missed a couple of months so shouldn’t be as tired, so doesn’t need the rest.  It is an excellent opportunity for Arsenal to see how he is developing at Motherwell and hear how he is being looked after and supported.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Surely makes sense for Arsenal to see how gets on with their first team when he doesnt have any commitments to Motherwell (im just assuming every side has taken a week off tbh).

Aye. Kettlewell pretty much confirmed that we'd be giving players some time off when he spoke after the Hibs game.

It makes absolute sense for Arsenal to bring him back and have a look at him especially after his injury and rehab (which he also did with them).

As others have said, he's their player so they can do what the f**k they like with him. I had a giggle at the boy on Twitter saying "if he's on loan there can't see motherwell allowing that"...like we're going to say "No" they can't have their player back to train with their first team. I mean, we have all our development loan players training with us through the week but playing for their loan teams on match days. It's not exactly the same but it's pretty close in principle.

The other thing is that if they genuinely see him as having potential for them either in terms of their first team or for selling him on then it's in their interests to keep him involved.

Tbh, it's been interesting to see how some of the Arsenal accounts have been covering him. He's genuinely rated - which is a laugh given how dismissive some fans of a certain club were of him after their assortment of hammer throwers set about him earlier in the season.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Biereth missed a couple of months so shouldn’t be as tired, so doesn’t need the rest.  It is an excellent opportunity for Arsenal to see how he is developing at Motherwell and hear how he is being looked after and supported.

Fair point. Let’s hope he does not impress them too much 🤞

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. Kettlewell pretty much confirmed that we'd be giving players some time off when he spoke after the Hibs game.

It makes absolute sense for Arsenal to bring him back and have a look at him especially after his injury and rehab (which he also did with them).

As others have said, he's their player so they can do what the f**k they like with him. I had a giggle at the boy on Twitter saying "if he's on loan there can't see motherwell allowing that"...like we're going to say "No" they can't have their player back to train with their first team. I mean, we have all our development loan players training with us through the week but playing for their loan teams on match days. It's not exactly the same but it's pretty close in principle.

The other thing is that if they genuinely see him as having potential for them either in terms of their first team or for selling him on then it's in their interests to keep him involved.

Tbh, it's been interesting to see how some of the Arsenal accounts have been covering him. He's genuinely rated - which is a laugh given how dismissive some fans of a certain club were of him after their assortment of hammer throwers set about him earlier in the season.

I seem to remember one or two of same fans around that time were gloating they'd got Mikael Mandron

5 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Clarke was recalled from County and sent on loan to Hibs. He was meant to be on loan at Hibs for 18 months but that was also cut short for the Stoke sale. So yes, Arsenal do have form for this. 

54 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Leanne Dempster can fuuck right off, She's a walking disaster. 

I have to say, I wasn't paying much attention at the time to the behind the scenes stuff when she was chief exec but was that not quite a successful period, still John Boyle time though, and she basically mentored and fast tracked Alan Burrows in to place? Or have I only seen the headlines?  

As a related aside, I see Granty boy was in the herald today being interviewed. Behind a paywall so didn't read it but CEO seemed to be mentioned too 

Edited by eliphas