Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

That's some heavy lifting from Spittal and Gent (if he gets to be a winger) plus whomever we recruit. 

Even the best teams can struggle to give support to a solitary striker.  I'd have the fear, bigly, if we went that way

Oh aye, don't get me wrong, I'm the same. 

When Spittal and Slatts were doing their magic with one up top it worked a treat. But teams shut it down and we didn't have the wide players as a alternative option.

If we had Spittal plus one other attacking through the middle and pavry wingbacks on both sides I think it could work.  But I don't think we'll get that.

The Biereth news and that Kettlewell presser has given me some buzz for Saturday. Absolutely grim atm.

I suppose we have probably recalled young guys from the lower leagues before, what stings is that they are going to loan him back out. Arsenal can obviously do what they want etc etc but it's a massive kick in the balls. Overall, though I still think the loan market has worked really well for us.

I appreciate Kettlewells honesty but the press conference was a bit of a grim listen, kind of hut home how bad the situation is.

Scott Fraser looks a decent signing, I'd be surprised if we pulled that off. I would imagine Charlton will want a decent % and he will be on a fair wedge down there I presume. If we could get him and Halliday in it would be a decent start.

It feels to me like we are in another situation where we just need to do what we can in the short-term. Pretty much like last year.

If we can survive until the summer we can take that as a win, there is going to be a fair exodus of players then I think

Edited by Luke92

6 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Anyone else being chucked out of india?

Last well known Brits over there are Carl McHugh, Connor Shields, and Jason Cummings.

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Who is actually close to breaking through from the youth ranks?

Bob McHugh was the next big thing for 8 years, so there's a good chance it's still him.

56 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Stewart signs for Killie. I keep banging this drum but if KVV is properly hell bent on coming back to Scotland then a)who else still needs a forward and b)what other forwards could we sign?

Not going to lie, would have been happy to sign Stewart. 

17 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Not going to lie, would have been happy to sign Stewart. 

Aye I would have too. Was more just meaning it probably rules Stewart out as an option for us and  Killie out as an option in the "race" to sign KVV (although nobody actually seems to be that arsed other than the initial agent talk.) 

From Kettlewell on KVV “Naturally, there is communication between myself and Kevin on a personal side of things, but in terms of us bringing Kev back to the football club…

“The deal Kevin went to Groningen for, if he was to move on from there and if they even want to move him on from there, I would imagine they are going to be looking for numbers greater than we can offer.

“So, as that stands just now, I would say no, but you are always trying to bring players to your football club, and he is someone that we have an association with.

“Whether I think it is realistic that we can bring the player back in is a completely other thing.

“We need to try and be as clever as we possibly can to see if there is another opportunity of something similar [to Mika], a player who is maybe on the periphery of a bigger club and they want an opportunity for him to come and show their talent.”

Edited by camer0n_mcd

14 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

From Kettlewell on KVV “Naturally, there is communication between myself and Kevin on a personal side of things, but in terms of us bringing Kev back to the football club…

“The deal Kevin went to Groningen for, if he was to move on from there and if they even want to move him on from there, I would imagine they are going to be looking for numbers greater than we can offer.

“So, as that stands just now, I would say no, but you are always trying to bring players to your football club, and he is someone that we have an association with.

“Whether I think it is realistic that we can bring the player back in is a completely other thing.

“We need to try and be as clever as we possibly can to see if there is another opportunity of something similar [to Mika], a player who is maybe on the periphery of a bigger club and they want an opportunity for him to come and show their talent.”

That's an awful long winded way of saying probably not.

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

That's an awful long winded way of saying probably not.

Probably is a probably not but you could also say it's just public negotiation to put pressure on KVV and Groningen to take more of a haircut for the next six months.

Because let's be honest, he clearly doesn't want to be there and not only do they not especially want him there, they basically came out and called him fat and unprofessional the other week.

Their negotiating position is through the floor. Not only are they going to struggle to get anyone to pay anything significant of his wages towards the rest of the season, come summer who is going to spend serious money on an enigmatic but unhappy 33-year-old with issues who probably hasn't played first team football for eight months if he stays in their reserves?

We are very quickly approaching the point where Groningen's best - nearly only option - is to take what pennies in the pound they can shipping him to Scotland till May so he can sort himself out and score enough goals that ideally someone gambles on him properly in June or, perhaps, he's then ready for 24/25.

I'm sure Groningen will turn down an offer to cover 25% of his wages now but in two weeks time I doubt it...

Edited by Handsome_Devil

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Probably is a probably not but you could also say it's just public negotiation to put pressure on KVV and Groningen to take more of a haircut for the next six months.

Because let's be honest, he clearly doesn't want to be there and not only do they not especially want him there, they basically came out and called him fat and unprofessional the other week.

Their negotiating position is through the floor. Not only are they going to struggle to get anyone to pay anything significant of his wages towards the rest of the season, come summer who is going to spend serious money on an enigmatic but unhappy 33-year-old with issues who probably hasn't played first team football for eight months if he stays in their reserves?

We are very quickly approaching the point where Groningen's best - nearly only option - is to take what pennies in the pound they can shipping him to Scotland till May so he can sort himself out and score enough goals that ideally someone gambles on him properly in June or, perhaps, he's then ready for 24/25.

I'm sure Groningen will turn down an offer to cover 25% of his wages now but in two weeks time I doubt it...

I can see him getting a loan deal with a Scottish club but probably not us. My money would be Aberdeen, particularly if someone comes in with money for Miovski in the last week of January and they go for the lazy option. I can see Aberdeen being precisely the sort of place he could go in the huff.

27 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I can see him getting a loan deal with a Scottish club but probably not us. My money would be Aberdeen, particularly if someone comes in with money for Miovski in the last week of January and they go for the lazy option. I can see Aberdeen being precisely the sort of place he could go in the huff.

I think Aberdeen if they lose Miovski or Hearts if they lose Shankland are the only two options really, and I can't see either of those happening in January. 

He's not going to go to either of the Old Firm and a handful of other clubs like Hibs, Killie and Dundee have already brought in strikers. It doesn't leave many landing spots for him in Scotland. Probably us, St Mirren and St Johnstone who we could surely compete with on wage contributions and we'd have the emotional pull. It'd likely be very late in the window once Groningen have flushed out any other interest. 

......Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself there's a chance. 

Edited by dezz

4 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Aberdeen and Hearts, depending on Miovski and Shankland, would certainly seem more natural choices than us.

Both will have known for months they might lose their top striker, do they have immediate plans in place or do they need an interim solution till summer? Who knows.

There's certainly plenty of moving parts and you definitely wouldn't expect him to come back...but I'm sure we're talking about the possibility (even if with enough informality to preserve deniability!) and on the basis 1) I'm sure he'll go somewhere, and 2) there are very limited options for that somewhere, I think a Jan 30/31 move is certainly not impossible.

Re: KVV

Some people like to be the biggest fish in the small pond, and hog the limelight.

Others are quite happy to fade into the background as long as they feel they're being amply rewarded for their talents

If we're to have even the smallest hope he'll return, he needs to be the former character profile.  And I think he looks that way to me, but hey he might be looking for that last breakthrough too being a big fish in a big pond. 

Depends on how realistic and honest with himself he is, given his age and history

I'd love to see KVV back - as I think the lift it would give the club generally would go beyond his immediate contribution on the park (and my god we need that) - but if I was betting, I'd still put my money on Generic English Academy Loan.