Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

A six month loan and then a permanent deal seems….odd. 

Will the usual loan rules of not playing against his parent club apply?

My take on it is that he is earning more at Hearts than he will be at Motherwell and doesn't want to lose out on that amount for the final months of his contract, so Hearts are picking up that tab for the rest of the season and a loan at first was the best way to get that deal struck. I imagine he will have to miss the game on February 17th. I guess it's almost guaranteed we won't play them again after that though.

5 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I think that's a sensible signing. Hate that he has been given number 11.

I'm as #numberpolis as anyone but us constantly playing a back three these days makes it difficult to fill number 11. A left footed midfielder seems an almost sensible use for it.

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

My take on it is that he is earning more at Hearts than he will be at Motherwell and doesn't want to lose out on that amount for the final months of his contract, so Hearts are picking up that tab for the rest of the season and a loan at first was the best way to get that deal struck. 

Aye, it's got to be this, I would think. He'll be wanting to receive his full whack for the remainder of his contract as he'll be on considerably more at Hearts than what our top line would be for him, especially when there's the very real possibility it could be Championship wages we're having to pay next season. 

Know how I said I was fickle?

I'm totally fine with the Andy Halliday signing now. It's not 'exciting' and he's a mad ***. But it's a better option than Barry Maguire, he's experienced, and it should hopefully mean we see Paton up thhe pitch a bitt more rather  than sitting defensively.

A decent experienced option, when we have a lot of younger players, and hopefully more coming through. I don't listen to open goal or ssb, so I'm not up to speed on how much of a dick he is.

4 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Know how I said I was fickle?

I'm totally fine with the Andy Halliday signing now. It's not 'exciting' and he's a mad ***. But it's a better option than Barry Maguire, he's experienced, and it should hopefully mean we see Paton up thhe pitch a bitt more rather  than sitting defensively.

Who would you put him in for tomorrow then? Davor?

I would be raging if signing Halliday meant less time for wee Dave. Certainly won’t drop Spittal for him. Surely can’t play with 4 midfielders against Alloa at home and one striker. Surely. 

If Halliday is anything more than a squad player I will be gutted. 

5 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Who would you put him in for tomorrow then? Davor?

I would be raging if signing Halliday meant less time for wee Dave. Certainly won’t drop Spittal for him. Surely can’t play with 4 midfielders against Alloa at home and one striker. Surely. 

If Halliday is anything more than a squad player I will be gutted. 

I'd think we will see him on the bench tomorrow. 

If it was me, given we have Halliday in now, I'd put a stop to playing Paton as a defensive midfielder as I don't think he's particularly best used there. So, I'd say depending on the system:

• Flat 3 in the middle it's ideally - Miller, Spittal, Davor
  • Box 4 - Davor, Miller sitting, Spittal Paton attacking

Then we've got Halliday to bring on as a decent alternative rather than Maguire when needed or when form or injury deserts one of Davor or Miller.

giphy.gif

You know how before the window opened Kettlewell was talking about wanting to add a couple on top of what we already had I could absolutely have seen Halliday being one of those extra bodies. I mean, our needs have changed in the past week but we still needed to add a bit of depth either way.

I'd imagine this means any notion of Butcher as a midfielder is put to bed. Which I'd guess folk will be on board with.

We still need a RWB, a Slattery replacement + 2 strikers minimum though.

10 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

We only have 1 fit striker.

Shaw's injured and I just assume Obika isn't fit.