Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Been mentioned that Devine can play on the right and left?

Spending your budget bulking up the squad seems more sensible than spunking it all on van Veen, IMO.

Youve now got a solid squad with 1 weakness (up front), rather than a weak squad with 1 strength (up front).

Its boring and shit as fans, but its sensible, especially when youve had a nightmare season with injuries.

Kinda mental that Higdon, Moult, Watt and KVV all had the best goal scoring periods of their careers with us. When we do bring a striker in to be our top man, over the last few years anyway, it tends to be fruitful. 

I mean Bair is already there………but we weren’t talking prolific at any stage. A ‘wins’ a win though.

9 minutes ago, MearnsWell said:

Not forgetting big John Sutton who was immense in his two spells for us.

Of course! Don’t know why I missed him. Jamie Murphy, although started with us so is a little different, was never as prolific with anyone else.

Edited by Quatermass

Whilst it's being discussed, I always think Scott McDonald is always unfairly overlooked in these discussions.

If I was picking my all time XI (97 onwards) it would be Coyne and Higdon up front with Faddy either in the hole or on a wing.

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Whilst it's being discussed, I always think Scott McDonald is always unfairly overlooked in these discussions.

If I was picking my all time XI (97 onwards) it would be Coyne and Higdon up front with Faddy either in the hole or on a wing.

McDonald wasn't as glamorous as many of the best strikers we've had but in terms of value, contribution etc he's right up there. 

Coyne overall was the best of the lot (I'm taking a liberty in defining Faddy slightly differently to avoid an impossible comparison.

Higdon was bizarre - he was hugely underrated as a footballer because of his position and size but we contrived to have a fantastic team designed perfectly to serving him for a season he did little more than finish like a god 26 times of whatever.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Been mentioned that Devine can play on the right and left?

Spending your budget bulking up the squad seems more sensible than spunking it all on van Veen, IMO.

Youve now got a solid squad with 1 weakness (up front), rather than a weak squad with 1 strength (up front).

Its boring and shit as fans, but its sensible, especially when youve had a nightmare season with injuries.

I would agree with this. The heart was a flutter with the excitement of a KVV return but the head says a deeper squad is by far preferable 

We’ve always been slightly better than similar sized teams like Killie and St Mirren in the league in my lifetime because we’ve had better strikers. It’s a hill I’m prepared to die on. 

McDonald for me definitely one of our most important players in the last 20 years. Was often compared to Dougie Arnott due to similar physical appearance but truth be told he was much better than Arnott. And I say that as someone who loved Arnott. 

Moult, Van Veen, Higdon, Coyne and McDonald probably our best strikers in my lifetime. 

I’m not sure Faddy was an out and out striker, but if he was, throw him in there too! 

Higdon is hands down the best striker we've had in my time supporting the club. Can remember a Friday night game up at Dundee United where he was unplayable. He also ragdolled Celtic a couple of times that season and culminated this by getting himself a night in the cells at the POTY awards. 

Special mention also goes to Chris Porter. Not quite as prolific as some of those mentioned but I always thought he was a fantastic player. 

For me, Scott McDonald is the main reason we haven’t spent any time in the Championship. Probably our most ‘valuable’ player in my time watching us. 

We’ve generally done really well with strikers over the last 15 years; KVV, Watt, Moult, Sutton, Higdon, McDonald, Murphy, Porter, Faddy all amongst the best in the league during their time with us. Might be C&A tinted specs but I can’t think of any of our peer clubs that have had the same sort of run with prolific strikers. Time for Theo to add his name to the list! 

I'm a Coyne Stan - he's above everyone and I also can't look past Dougie either as he scored scored so many important goals (and got right up the OF whenever he felt like it)

Away from those 2, I would put Higdon, Moult and McDonald on the 2nd step and Sutton, KVV and maybe Porter on the 3rd. 

image.png.4fd8b3684a0fb3195242ea2e3a125eae.png

image.png.876619f5cdebbeb269b0203ff999ba50.png

:wub:

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Coyne overall was the best of the lot (I'm taking a liberty in defining Faddy slightly differently to avoid an impossible comparison.

I only saw Tommy Coyne towards the end of his time with us and I was just a young child, but he was my first ever hero and made me fall in love with Motherwell and football so he always gets top spot for me.

I think Faddy was perhaps in some ways a victim of playing in the wrong era. We're probably only discussing him as a centre forward because he played back when front twos were still in their pomp.

When he went down south, all the front twos seemed to be a big target man and a nippy wee guy, of which he was neither. At the same time, old style wingers that played on their strong side, ran past a full back and put a cross in were still a thing, which he wasn't really either. I never thought watching him growing up that his best chance of playing every week in the EPL would be the graveyard shift in a 4-5-1 for Birmingham.

I wonder how he'd have got on down there playing as a number ten, or off the right.