Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 01/02/2024 at 08:32, Cloontang said:

It's that day of the year again when the creepy guy camps outside all night.

ootside_firpark.thumb.jpeg.d1d7f2445e162e3bcdb94987416943af.jpeg

Just reading through other clubs topics and seen this. It's no right, is it?

Dundee moved into a college campus for business operations and the boy just camped up in the bushes filming through the windows. Very strange behaviour.

7 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

You just know all these new signings and ‘infectious’ players will only get some some sub appearances and limit it to 15 mins. We are going to stick with essentially that starting formation and team for the rest of the season aren’t we…. Right. 

I don't think we should read too much into the fact that a bunch of young boys signed on Thursday night aren't pitched straight into an important game less than 48 hours later (and the team played reasonably well across the St Johnstone and Killie games - so it would have been weird to make wholesale changes..

We've got 3 games in a week, so I would be surprised if we didn't see them at some point this week after they've had some actual training sessions - and it's up to them to dislodge the ones that are getting picked.  Nicholson I would hope would be close to a starter when he is match fit, I still think we'll see Gent and Buyabu playing in the same team - and Miller surely would be back to being a starter at the expense of Halliday.

14 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

You just know all these new signings and ‘infectious’ players will only get some some sub appearances and limit it to 15 mins. We are going to stick with essentially that starting formation and team for the rest of the season aren’t we…. Right. 

That was my takeaway too. 

Came away thinking I'm not seeing Nicholson, Miller or anyone pacey right backs for a while probably.  

47 minutes ago, CoF said:

Here's an Exeter City scouts take on things. Based on two games watched, he concludes Buyabu is much stronger going forward. And he's rapid. 

That reads as though we've signed him to play further forward with Gent behind, possibly with them switching at times. 

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

What a man. Cutting about like prime Henry.

4 games in a row. What was KVV’s record last season again?

I hope the bold Thelonius is in the papers setting mad goal targets an all. 

15 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Sorry, why exactly have Morton won 5-0 at Dunfermline today?

Cause we’re different breed at the moment, about time teams got put to the sword by us on a Saturday afternoon look forward to welcoming yous on Friday night for what should be a brilliant encounter 

Edited by Cowshed

27 minutes ago, Swello said:

I don't think we should read too much into the fact that a bunch of young boys signed on Thursday night aren't pitched straight into an important game less than 48 hours later (and the team played reasonably well across the St Johnstone and Killie games - so it would have been weird to make wholesale changes..

We've got 3 games in a week, so I would be surprised if we didn't see them at some point this week after they've had some actual training sessions - and it's up to them to dislodge the ones that are getting picked.  Nicholson I would hope would be close to a starter when he is match fit, I still think we'll see Gent and Buyabu playing in the same team - and Miller surely would be back to being a starter at the expense of Halliday.

I was kind of tongue in cheek. However this season has shown us how stubborn Mr Kettlewell can be. He gets an idea in his mind and doesn’t like to change much. The run of 236 games without a win proved that. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I'm mildly interested to know what the triggers are that will increase the payments that are due on top of that.

Presumably Killie's league placing, qualification for Europe and KVV actually scoring some goals and making appearances?

Screenshot2024-02-04at11_12_33.thumb.png.2f52bb950bfeaa8178af42b748256b5f.png

Aye, I dunno about that one. But I'd imagine it could fairly increase that 5k if he gets going.

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

Heard from a usually very reliable source yesterday our offer for KVV topped out at 2.5k pw. Killie paying 5k pw and being funded straight from Bowie. We'd enquired early in the window and been told it was on if other deals didn't work out - basically got gazumped at the end.

It's not absolutely wild wild money in the grand scheme of football to be fair.  

Your reliable source is talking pish, that’s what my reliable source told me.

We need a song for the bold Thelonius. I propose a new chant to the tune of Do they Know it’s Christmas: 

Feed the Baaaair, let him know St Johnstone’s sh*te. 

Feed the Baairrr, he will score at anytime. 

Or the Tait song. We’ve got Bair, Super Theo Bair etc. 

I just think singing someone’s first name is a bit dry so let’s get behind the Bair. 

2 hours ago, Ill Ray said:

We need a song for the bold Thelonius. I propose a new chant to the tune of Do they Know it’s Christmas: 

Feed the Baaaair, let him know St Johnstone’s sh*te. 

Feed the Baairrr, he will score at anytime. 

Or the Tait song. We’ve got Bair, Super Theo Bair etc. 

I just think singing someone’s first name is a bit dry so let’s get behind the Bair. 

Agreed. EPL vibes about it. Those clubs have no soul or community and can only amount to singing people’s names over and over again.  

19 minutes ago, tonicg said:

Agreed. EPL vibes about it. Those clubs have no soul or community and can only amount to singing people’s names over and over again.  

Never hurt with Dougie, be it for Arnott or McDonald.

Have we found anything to rhyme with Zdravkovski yet?

23 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Are folk still keen for Kettlewell to be sacked?

I'm still not fully convinced he's the man for the job but I'll hold my hands up and say he's done well, better than I thought, since I called for his head after that Ross County loss so I'm content he stays for the remainder of the season 

Positives:

- He's got us playing much more cohesively now and he's doing wonders with Bair. 

- Other than a main striker I think he's recruited well in January. Recruitment has gave us some pace at full back which we need as well as some options attacking with Nicholson there and recruiting Halliday allowing Paton to be moved forward.

My main concerns ate:

- Stubborn lack of change always seems to be round the corner. Wether it's sticking with a system or players, that isn't quite working or not making subs early enough. 

- Not convinced he or the coaching staff are doing enough defensively with the squad. We're making the same mistakes every week with goals conceded and it's a variety of defenders and players so it's not all on them. So I think  defensively we can be improved by coaching and changing how we set up slightly (e.g. conceding goals with no players on posts or marking players at the edge of the box at corners has happened more than once) can be improved as well.

Edited by eliphas

47 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Are folk still keen for Kettlewell to be sacked?

I don’t think that’s the question really. I don’t think any of us think he WILL be sacked so that has ended the debate. We’ve just been gazumped by Killie (and St Mirren) for KVV. No way are we binning a gaffer in Feburary and getting stung with those costs. Even if County and Morton beat us, I still expect Kettlewell to be in the hotseat.

The only thing that would get him his jotters would be if we ended up bottom of the league. That‘s a bit unlikely at the moment and if it did happen there might possibly only be a handful of games left and would seem very late especially with the current run of 1 win in 19. One win in half a season of games and keep your job. Absolutely unthinkable not that long ago for a gaffer who has been in the job for less than a year to keep their post during that……but that’s what our recent history and finances have dealt us. Many to blame for that.

For me the question is do you want Kettlewell to be the manager for season 2024/25 whether it’s in the top flight or the Championship?

My answer is no.

Edited by Quatermass