Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

For the Spittal screamer, we’re 3-0 up and Bevis is still in the box acting like a striker as if we’re 1-0 down in the 90th, brilliant stuff. SOD and Mugabi > Kt and Andy Robertson. 

33 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

positions.png.7fc382247f0c6b43f726e66e324c60a6.png

BBC had the first half positional data up mainly to laugh at Ross County's tactics.

McGinn really not doing much bombing forward at all. I actually don't remember him doing anything really significant in the game.

Where as on the other side Bevis and SOD are both pushing way up the park

I could not believe how high a line County played, suicidal stuff and once you are getting pumped you can’t change it to a low block because you are chasing the game .

9 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I could not believe how high a line County played, suicidal stuff and once you are getting pumped you can’t change it to a low block because you are chasing the game .

Imrie was in the stand so you can only assume that Morton will be dropping off considerably when we got the ball. As much as Craigan had some moments in commenting last night, he called one thing excellently in the second half which was we took a while react to County changing to do just that and were still shelling it long quickly. The result was we all too often gave the ball back very easily when they had actually stopped squeezing up to the midfield and had left space in front of the defence we could instead play into.

The ability to go long effectively is very handy but if it's the only weapon in the arsenal it'll get rumbled pretty soon. You'd hope if it comes to playing football in space our midfield can make it happen v Morton though.

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Imrie was in the stand so you can only assume that Morton will be dropping off considerably when we got the ball. As much as Craigan had some moments in commenting last night, he called one thing excellently in the second half which was we took a while react to County changing to do just that and were still shelling it long quickly. The result was we all too often gave the ball back very easily when they had actually stopped squeezing up to the midfield and had left space in front of the defence we could instead play into.

The ability to go long effectively is very handy but if it's the only weapon in the arsenal it'll get rumbled pretty soon. You'd hope if it comes to playing football in space our midfield can make it happen v Morton though.

Yes . I heard a rumour his maw is a mattress .

4 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Did anyone notice some of the stuff Buyabu was doing with the ball at half time ?! If his ball skills relate to his footballing skill then he looks like one to watch out for as well.  Far more optimistic about the rest of the season now ! 

I was watching him for most of halftime and couldn't help but think that too and he definitely seems like a skillful player who likes a flick and a trick.

On 03/02/2024 at 20:36, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Sorry, why exactly have Morton won 5-0 at Dunfermline today?

"Sorry, why exactly have Motherwell won 5-0 at Fir Park yesterday?" - Greenock Morton's thread, probably.

Just now, camer0n_mcd said:

The top 6 push starts here

I'd have probably picked Livvy and Dundee on the wishlist tonight but we can take positives from all four games really.

Win on Friday and, dare I say it, the perspective on our season will have potentially changed. Or will have the potential to change, at least!

16 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'd have probably picked Livvy and Dundee on the wishlist tonight but we can take positives from all four games really.

Win on Friday and, dare I say it, the perspective on our season will have potentially changed. Or will have the potential to change, at least!

We have a horrible run of games coming after Friday, I’m not sure what to expect given the last few results but I’m going to calmly, and I can confirm I’m not in anyway getting carried away with last nights result, suggest we’ll take 9 points from our next 3 league games. 

In Thelonius we trust. Feed the Bair. 

9 hours ago, Quatermass said:

A draw at Aberdeen next week would see us pay a wee visit to the top 6. What a daft league.

It'd need to be a win against Aberdeen as the rearranged Dundee v St Johnstone game is over the weekend so it depends on that result.

The draw puts us on 26 points. Dundee win they go to 29 points, draw 27. St Johnstone win they go on to 27.

The difference in narrative of the respective seasons is quite funny though. The general consensus seems to be that Dundee are having a "good" season while we're erm...very much not.

As it stands there's a point difference between the two teams with us having (marginally) scored more goals and conceded fewer.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The difference in narrative of the respective seasons is quite funny though. The general consensus seems to be that Dundee are having a "good" season while we're erm...very much not.

Different clubs measure success in different ways.

Dundee getting fluke wins over Hearts and St Mirren early on has skewed their season massively.

Aside from that i dont think theyve beaten anyone outside the bottom two all season.

I think Friday is pretty crucial on how the season is viewed overall. If we can escape Cappielow still in the cup, then we'd be going into Tuesday in very decent form and maybe with a bit of confidence for the first time in months....

We've got a history of being better in the 2nd half of the season and there are some signs that we are ready to do that yet again - but it's early days and a loss on Friday could kill the whole thing.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It'd need to be a win against Aberdeen as the rearranged Dundee v St Johnstone game is over the weekend so it depends on that result.

A win wouldn't necessarily do it either.  

Just now, capt_oats said:

Yes. I know. That's why I said "it depends on that result" in the sentence you've just quoted and then pointed out the permutations.

Aye, it just seems strange to say it'd need a win rather than a draw when it's all down to the Dundee result on Sunday which could render anything you get against the Dons irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Aye, it just seems strange to say it'd need a win rather than a draw when it's all down to the Dundee result on Sunday which could render anything you get against the Dons irrelevant. 

In the words of a great man...

On 03/02/2024 at 18:12, capt_oats said:

If nuance isn't really your thing then, respectfully...f**k off.

Just now, hk blues said:

Well. My point was that in any circumstance a draw wouldn't suffice on account of the Dundee St Johnstone impacting.

I thought that was pretty obvious but...here we are.