Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

TBF, we will make a pretty decent wedge from Kelly being at the Euros, and I'd say dropping him at any point between now and the end of the season probably finishes any chances of him going.

There are various murmurings of him being on an absolutely daft wage, aren't there? Probably has a bearing on it as well. 

12 minutes ago, Well Fan said:

But, I now believe, SK is sticking by LK in the hope his form picks up to past levels and he goes to The Euros. 

So I'm guessing, this is more a loyalty showing towards Kelly, more than purely footballing reasons. 

I think SK and the board are sticking by Kelly as they actually paid some money for him and he is one of our biggest earners this was all done with a view to punt him at a later date for a profit once he had been a stand out performer game after game and other teams were clamouring for his signature. That worked out well.

Hard decision has finally to be made, keep playing him with that aim or cut our loses and do what is best for the club, and arguably him, and drop him

14 minutes ago, Well Fan said:

Liam Kelly has been a pretty good goalkeeper for the most part in Motherwell FC colours (imo) 

However, his form has totally collapsed of late. No more incredible saves, covering for the constant defensive slip ups. How many points did he previously save us? 

This is fantasy. 

Liam Kelly has made good saves, yes. He's had good games, yes.

His form dropped as of late? shite, was throwing them into the net V Raith Rovers a year ago. It's not something new. 

He's made his name with saves for the camera, He's been shite forever barring the few months he was on loan. 

He's fucking shite and always has been. 

10 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

TBF, we will make a pretty decent wedge from Kelly being at the Euros, and I'd say dropping him at any point between now and the end of the season probably finishes any chances of him going.

There are various murmurings of him being on an absolutely daft wage, aren't there? Probably has a bearing on it as well. 

Believe he's the highest paid player but it's not absolutely daft money. He got a large signing on fee when he signed - that was the difference maker.

In an ideal world I'd drop him and I've been a big supporter of him up until now. It's a fine line how much a defensive unit is chopped and changed so I can see why, in theory, SK sticks with Kettlewell and Butcher and the others. But something has to give I think.

14 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Kelly signed a months extension so we would get this money, however as @Desp said, there's surely no chance anyone with eyes picks Kelly.

Kelly won't be in the first 3 picked now Gordon is back. Only way he will go is if we take 4 and then I think Clarke would take him out if loyalty and keeping his goalies together. Which he does prefer to do. 

16 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

We also lost a fair wedge due to losing to Morton.

Motherwell should be first priority not Scotland.

Usually Id be desperate for a Motherwell player to be involved with the Scotland squad, but right now, I just want Motherwell to stop conceding really shit goals. Ive no idea whether Oxborough is any better, but can he be any worse than the current incarnation of Kelly? He is a big guy, if all he did was come and catch some crosses, it would be an improvement.

We have chopped and changed centre backs who have made mistakes and we look no more assured. Butcher is supposed to he the great organiser, but he has had a really serious injury which, at his age, he may not fully recover from.

Its crazy to think that our general defending isnt too bad and teams generally arent playing through us. But our defence at set pieces and cross balls is howling. Much of that is down to individual errors, but its not helped by having a keeper who doesnt command his area.

What to do?

Edited by joewarkfanclub

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Kelly won't be in the first 3 picked now Gordon is back. Only way he will go is if we take 4 and then I think Clarke would take him out if loyalty and keeping his goalies together. Which he does prefer to do. 

I agree.

It will be Gunn, Gordon and one other, probably McCrorie given he is young and there are no other Rangers players likely to make the squad (Souttar maybe).......

39 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

This is fantasy. 

His form dropped as of late? shite, was throwing them into the net V Raith Rovers a year ago. It's not something new. 

He's made his name with saves for the camera, He's been shite forever barring the few months he was on loan. 

It's unclear from your post so just to clarify - do you not rate Liam Kelly? 

Based on recent form he should be nowhere near the Scotland squad. Even the pundits in the media are talking about his blunder v Morton and the pressure he is under to be dropped. If it was just Motherwell fans I doubt Clarke would notice or care. But the fact it is everyone (bar Kettlewell obvs) means his likelihood of him going to the Euros are dwindling game by game. The only thing about Clarke is he is quite loyal. If you have Gunn, 1 other capable keeper and Kelly, then he would be 3rd choice and the chances of him getting a game are slim to none.

The whole team were dung v Morton. However conceding the 1st goal as we did set the tone for the evening and had a huge impact on the eventual outcome. That is on Kelly. That would have cost us a lot more than UEFA payment for Euro 2024 participation.

The sad thing is he was actually quite decent when he joined up. That and I don’t dislike him in anyway shape or form. In some ways I actually feel sorry for him. But my only concern is Motherwell finishing away from the bottom 2 spots and as high up the league as possible. 

Why his form has dropped is anyone guess. Perhaps it is the Captains curse. So either remove him from the team or see if giving him less responsibility helps him concentrate on getting his game back to where it should be. In my opinion doing nothing is not an option at the moment. As many have said Ox must be pretty poor to not be getting a chance. What must he be thinking as Kelly makes all these mistakes….

30 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I agree.

It will be Gunn, Gordon and one other, probably McCrorie given he is young and there are no other Rangers players likely to make the squad (Souttar maybe).......

Surely it'll be Gunn, Clark and Gordon? Clark ahead of Gordon at Hearts. Absolutely nae chance Kelly gets near the squad on current form. 

Kept an eye on Theo Bair last night.

Although he's a different type of player, he reminded me a lot of Sam Cosgrove.

Doesn't look like he should be playing at this level, but looks like he's going to score every time the ball is near him in the box.

Can see someone giving you a daft offer in the summer.

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Kept an eye on Theo Bair last night.

Although he's a different type of player, he reminded me a lot of Sam Cosgrove.

Doesn't look like he should be playing at this level, but looks like he's going to score every time the ball is near him in the box.

Can see someone giving you a daft offer in the summer.

I was actually wondering about this a wee while ago but totally forgot amid all the cup humiliation, general collapsing and Spittal going to St Mirren - is he worth an extension already? Or are we still amid a potential blip?

SK implied he was on a low wage with us (presumably largely because St J cut a deal with him to walk away) so given he's finally delivering, another year where he's safe for more money may appeal...and as ever, should that daft bid appear, we obviously wouldn't be standing in his way.

I think the narrative of Kettlewell only keeping Kelly in goal because of a chance of getting to the Euros is a bit strong to be honest. 

It's more likely to be he thinks dropping him will either completely rock the boat eve further with the defensive set up and/or Oxborough isnt a decent alternative. 

If there is any manager of the last few years who really doesn't give a f**k about how players feel it's Kettlewell I'd say 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

This is fantasy. 

This is fantasy. 

He was a good keeper at this level for 18 months. His form has gone off a cliff over the last 18 months which coincides with us being a bit of a clown car of a football club. 

To say he's "fucking shite and always has been" is wildly revisionist. 

30 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Surely it'll be Gunn, Clark and Gordon? Clark ahead of Gordon at Hearts. Absolutely nae chance Kelly gets near the squad on current form. 

Could be.

Just got it in my head that Gordon will eventually replace Clark in the Hearts team, but you are probably right.

40 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

It's unclear from your post so just to clarify - do you not rate Liam Kelly? 

Maybe I did during his few months loan.

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I've been a massive critic for ages and fans of other teams have never rated him. 
He was great during his wee loan as I've said but he's bang average at best. 

17 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

This is fantasy. 

He was a good keeper at this level for 18 months. His form has gone off a cliff over the last 18 months which coincides with us being a bit of a clown car of a football club. 

To be fair to @Busta Nuthe's always been pretty consistent in thinking Kelly is shite.  

I'm more along the lines of @well fan for life but I think we can all agree Kelly has been mince for a wee while now and his confidence looks absolutely shot.