Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't care how much money the Sidemen have. They are a bunch of knobs who insult women, among other things, online for whatever millions of followers they have. 

Maybe that makes me sound old anaw but get them so far to f**k. Even in this hypothetical. 

I think the point has maybe been lost somewhere.

No one on here would welcome folks like that in I'm pretty sure it's fine to say. I'm sure it would not even get passed a first round of consideration. 

However, some folk on here and elsewhere just immediately turn their nose up at online/social media made investors. Not you I should add but a few have straight away. 

We should consider everything. 

Anyway, I've made my mind up it's the Reddit guy and Serena. So let's go.

1 hour ago, JayMFC said:

In my personal opinion, I believe that this work can and should be done whilst continuing to keep our options open to potential investors, providing they are credible and fit with our values.

Brilliant post Jay - but this is the bit I was delighted to read. 

Everything you've posted on behalf of Derek reads really well but keeping up pace on both fronts (WS strategy build as well seeking/speaking to investors) until we have credible WS solution that can fund the club ongoing and properly, is hugely important to me (As one of the original WS members who has now lapsed)

All this talk of The Sidemen, who I didnt know about as a group before this week then heard them mentioned on a podcast and then here, has reminded me of The Walkmen. Who I hadnt thought about since about 2003. Whit a band.

Given all the options that are open to us its gonna take a significant piece of time to work through them and come to a sensible decision.

That being the case, I dont think we can go on in limbo any longer and need to start putting the house in order.

We have a CEO and Chairman who both want to be gone in short shrift.

I dont see how it is credible in those circumstances to move quickly on a change of ownership.

For me the Well Society should lead with their proposals. Appoint a permanent CEO from those interviewed and in conjunction with the new CEO examine all the investment opportunities to see which one fits best with the ethos of the Society / club and the views of the members.

That could take some time and we will have a new season to prepare for in the interim and a manager who will be looking for a budget/support.

Rushing into it to just get things done appears folly.

On said plan, I've been really impressed and inspired by the additions to The Well Society board at the end of last year. The contributions from Amber, Sean and Phil have been excellent and I believe we're moving forward at pace.

This is great to hear. I enjoyed going through the presentations and voting, and thought the three mentioned above were impressive, so it's good to know that they've hit the ground running.

As for donations, do we (or can we) aggregate a person's contributions over time? I assume that providing a user with an account to manage online could be a technical challenge (and expensive), but the ability to easily manage my contributions and see how much I've put in would be nice. The current way is very clunky.

This could open up possibilities for incentives, targeted marketing, or contribution top ups and the like. It's something the non profit i work for does, although we're bigger than the OF.

38 minutes ago, eliphas said:

No one on here would welcome folks like that in I'm pretty sure it's fine to say. I'm sure it would not even get passed a first round of consideration. 

However, some folk on here and elsewhere just immediately turn their nose up at online/social media made investors. Not you I should add but a few have straight away. 

I was just about to give some clarification on my earlier post when I saw this, and yeah....exactly.

My point wasn't about The Sidemen, and I'm not a fan of their output at all, but I was using them as an example of how the definition of a traditional "successful businessman" has changed dramatically.

No matter how stupid their product is, that's just their product...it might be fucking stupid and mind numbing, but why would it not be when it's making them that kind of money? Their business behind the scenes that the public don't see is something very different. You don't operate a £100 million pound business without a very astute business and PR team behind you.

If someone like that was interested, they should absolutely be chased if their intentions weren't in line with what was good for the club, we should absolutely 100% be as choosey as humanly possible for that reason. But if we're going to be choosey because we're not a fan of their work, then we might as well just not bother.

I'm sure there's plenty Wrexham fans who think Ryan Reynolds films are utter shite, but it's not about his films, it's about his intentions for the club. How he made his money shouldn't come into it (all jokes about unscrupulous money-laundering schemes aside).

tl;dr - Successful business people aren't limited to suited-up old men in boardrooms anymore, and we have to be wise to that.

I don't understand the hierarchy at the club. The WS is sneered at by the Chairman and CEO. 
I'd have thought the owners would be telling the chairman what to do.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Just to add to what @Al B said. I know it wasn't specifically about this mob, I just dislike these wee helmets and went on a tangent. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They have a 30yo who wore 69 for a charity match and thought it was the funniest thing anyones ever done.

Im afraid to say that their target audience is under 16, and if youre a fan and over 30 yourself, then you shouldnt have access to the internet or be allowed near schools.

Well, no, that's essentially my point. If we're only entertaining investors that we're fans of, then it's absolutely pointless, A - because it doesn't matter, and B - because no matter who it is, a significant percentage of fans will think their work is shite, so you're onto plums right from the start. Back in the days when Brown took over at St Johnstone, did the fans decide whether it was a good idea or not based on his business plan and his ideas for taking the club forward? Or based on how much they liked tractors?

Actually, maybe don't answer that.....

And I appreciate that you are mentioning that you're "afraid their target audience is under 16" in a derogatory way, but what age group do you think the target audience is for a provincial football club hoping to widen and grow their long-term fan base (one of the main goals of The 'Well Society)?

Edited by Al B

The more I think about it's mental just how well kept the Kettlewell thing was. There's usually at least one ITK mention on here before most major Motherwell news breaking but absolutely nobody knew our manager signed an extension last May. 

I wanted him here next season anyway so I'm pretty sanguine about it but it is wild.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The more I think about it's mental just how well kept the Kettlewell thing was. There's usually at least one ITK mention on here before most major Motherwell news breaking but absolutely nobody knew our manager signed an extension last May. 

I wanted him here next season anyway so I'm pretty sanguine about it but it is wild.

Weirdly, that's exactly why I'm completely comfortable that it was just a massive f**k up, as opposed to anything underhand or sinister. (Not the Jily Buyabu kind of sinister). Cover-ups tend to get leaked in one way or another, but when someone's just made a massive c**t of something, it generally stays unknown until someone points it out.

That's not to say im happy that f**k up's like that are being made, but that's another story.

Edited by Al B

52 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't understand the hierarchy at the club. The WS is sneered at by the Chairman and CEO. 
I'd have thought the owners would be telling the chairman what to do.

I dunno Busta, I would have thought I sensible appointment in the circumstances would be a GM (similar remit to 'Flow's was initially promoted to from Media role). That would be more cost effective, allows for growth and progression and continued involvement by any potential investor.

Asking a CEO to come in and potentially be involved in to process to find and recommend the ultimate deliverer or their P45 has a very Turkey wishing for Christmas vibe about it.

Edited by Vietnam91

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Biereth scoring for Sturm Graz in the Conference League and Max Johnston starting at right back.

IMG_8540.jpeg

Not much of a fan of those f*ckers tbh. Biereth might have been away anyway, but as I understand it we have yet to receive a Euro cent from the Max Johnston development fee. How is that possible 7-8 months after he joined them ? What is the hold up ? 

24 minutes ago, Al B said:

Weirdly, that's exactly why I'm completely comfortable that it was just a massive f**k up, as opposed to anything underhand or sinister. (Not the Jily Buyabu kind of sinister). Cover-ups tend to get leaked in one way or another, but when someone's just made a massive c**t of something, it generally stays unknown until someone points it out.

That's not to say im happy that f**k up's like that are being made, but that's another story.

Aye I get that. Tbh I mainly just feel bad for Ketts that he hasn't been able to tell anybody about it for almost a year. He doesn't seem like the "vow of silence" type.