Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On the football, on Wednesday people were questioning SODs inclusion but he was up against Nouble who would likely have bullied the other options.  I note the news about Montgomery but I had wondered if Gent in front of Devine on the left was in Kettlewell’s thoughts.

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

2m a year over 6 years would sound more realistic, but it's not the champions league winning money I was hoping for.

It would be but even then you've no idea what we're worth in six years. The value of our club is much more dependent on general rather than specific details...if we're relegated we're worth much less. Alternatively, we finally get a proper TV deal, proper collective marketing, maybe there's more through UEFA and we're worth a lot more even if we've done f**k all beyond finishing 10th for the next half decade.

Many seen the WS and fan ownership as an opportunity to do things different from the stoic and tired way football clubs were managed in the past. A way to get a fresh look at things, implement truly revolutionary ideas, engage with parts of the support who had lapsed and those who had yet to associate with the club

Now the club has been well run as discussed helped by Jimmy Scott and the marquee Turnbull and the double cup final season. I don't think many would disagree it has not always capitalised as much as it could. While we are "well run" the question should be "could we have been better run?".

So many of us think of missed opportunities, overlooked potential and periods of stagnation when we look at the club and to a lesser degree the society from the outside, granted often without all the facts. An recurring issue is too many things are done half-arsed due to not being well enough resourced.

I suspect any investor wanting a controlling interest will, in addition to cash, offer the means to revamp the club structure from top to bottom. Introducing a modern culture and operating practices plus open up new and dormant revenue streams maybe not considered or available without them.

We really should consider any expertise in that facet has a monetary value to it too over and above the headline cash injection offered.

All the time and effort put into fan ownership only to pull our knickers down the first time an offer comes along.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

All the time and effort put into fan ownership only to pull our knickers down the first time an offer comes along.

If more people had voted the outcome might have been different. Plus. Pretty sure any option could still be rejected. Nothing is binding at this stage because we haven't been asked to vote on an offer. The well society doesn't have enough money coming in right now. That's clear I think. If it had then we wouldn't have had to go looking for outside investment 

Edited by Wellin

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Another question to ask eventually is what we're worth. Football clubs are incredibly hard to value but fortunately someone just agreed £6m for 25% for Hibs to give a first number for the back of an envelope - £24m.

5 x NAV would be the absolute maximum is my guess.

Hibs are getting a bit more out of it than just the cash. They also got the Gordon's to turn their debt to equity. And access to players from being part of a multi club setup. Although the multi club aspect is good or bad they are getting "Expertise"

And it should be noted that the Hibs fans shareholding group did not vote for the investment.

9 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Many seen the WS and fan ownership as an opportunity to do things different from the stoic and tired way football clubs were managed in the past. A way to get a fresh look at things, implement truly revolutionary ideas, engage with parts of the support who had lapsed and those who had yet to associate with the club

Now the club has been well run as discussed helped by Jimmy Scott and the marquee Turnbull and the double cup final season. I don't think many would disagree it has not always capitalised as much as it could. While we are "well run" the question should be "could we have been better run?".

So many of us think of missed opportunities, overlooked potential and periods of stagnation when we look at the club and to a lesser degree the society from the outside, granted often without all the facts. An recurring issue is too many things are done half-arsed due to not being well enough resourced.

I suspect any investor wanting a controlling interest will, in addition to cash, offer the means to revamp the club structure from top to bottom. Introducing a modern culture and operating practices plus open up new and dormant revenue streams maybe not considered or available without them.

We really should consider any expertise in that facet has a monetary value to it too over and above the headline cash injection offered.

This absolutely nails it for me @Vietnam91

I get what you mean @Busta Nut but nothing has happened yet. I'll die on this hill that we should speak to people and see what they have to say - nothing is binding. I voted to consider losing majority stake but I'm miles off accepting that in a binding vote. 

For me, the WS need to see this vote result as a second warning shot (the first being that the video created real interest) and use it as a further catalyst to up their great recent efforts and engagement. The vote was 1000 odd people which is not a small number and it should be taken seriously as a real indicator of mood. 

Next home game is two weeks away - I'd hope to see the WS out in force in the stands, the Cooper, the hospitality suites letting people know what they are doing and what they are building. Bold WS banners up to make it clear who they are. @JayMFC could the WS use the advertising space around the stadium for example that's out of date?  I mean there's adverts in the main stand men's bogs that have out of date Joe Efford kit sponsorship on them.

Email and social media is fine but there's a whole world out there who are not regular users and/or not even WS members that could be used to galvanise and boost nay future votes binding or not. 

Just noticed we’ve scored 20 more goals than St Johnstone this season and are only 2 points above them. 

Just goes to show that goals are overrated and we should score less of them. 

Edited by CoF

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Wealth off the radar isn't it 

Pretty dismissive unnecessarily I'd say.

I've never heard either but the last thing we need is the wealth off the radar chaps knocking at the door I'd argue. 

Edited by eliphas

24 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Pretty dismissive unnecessarily I'd say.

I've never heard either but the last thing we need is the wealth off the radar chaps knocking at the door I'd argue. 

I assumed it was a Craig Whyte joke.

12 hours ago, ropy said:

The money would be for investment in a club in which the investors had a controlling interest. How detailed can the guarantees be?

I would imagine they can be as detailed as we/the club/Society would want them to be; clauses etc. added to final offers, so for example, "in the event I X wishing to sell their stake in the club at any point, the Well Society and/or Private Shareholders will be given the opportunity to raise appropriate funds to buy them to retain full ownership" or words to that effect.

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:

Graham Alexander likes this

Still wild stuff in his full season we scored 3 in only two games, one being the league cup groups the other being against the B team.

The guy was a like a Harry Potter dementor sucking every last bit of joy out of watching us. Granted the bar isn’t high.

This is way off topic but I’m sitting watching Huddersfield vs Leeds and the scoreboard is showing minutes and seconds of the added on time.

It’s always annoyed me at Fir Park that the scoreboard just stops at 45 and 90 minutes instead of keeping going into added on time.