Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

38 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

100%.  Guy behind me at Dens was berating Bair after the penalty miss - "just reminding us how shite he really is" etc and then therefore couldn't bring himself to celebrate his goal 2 mins later as a result.  

I m convinced that some 'fans' go to games just to scream "Get to f**k (insert name of latest scapegoat / chosen player they've decided to take an instant dislike to for some obscure reason), otherwise standing there motionless arms folded loudly tutting or vigorously shaking their head or gesticulating

1 hour ago, Pettigrew said:

100%.  Guy behind me at Dens was berating Bair after the penalty miss - "just reminding us how shite he really is" etc and then therefore couldn't bring himself to celebrate his goal 2 mins later as a result.  

Sounds about right. Bair is the latest example of folk making their minds up before he'd even kicked a ball for us and deciding they won't budge from that position because it would mean they have to accept they were wrong, it's bizarre. 

Anyone who thinks Bair is "shite" is basing it purely on his St Johnstone spell, or from what they've heard of it, and not what he's done as a Motherwell player. 

Not that I go to many games these days, but I can’t recall actively shouting at one of our own players, although I probably have in the heat of the moment. I far more enjoyed abusing opposition players or even better, the referees

48 minutes ago, Eliphas Pettigrew said:

I m convinced that some 'fans' go to games just to scream "Get to f**k (insert name of latest scapegoat / chosen player they've decided to take an instant dislike to for some obscure reason), otherwise standing there motionless arms folded loudly tutting or vigorously shaking their head or gesticulating

A guys behind me at Morton away spent the full game shouting about how shite we were and yelling THATS IT! HAPPY CLAPPY, HAPPY CLAPPY! GET TAE f**k the entire game and then was going ballistic at the end. Like aye, we were extremely poor that night but give it a break. Convinced it may have been the famous Steelboy.

2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Convinced there are folk in the Motherwell fansbase who thrive off of misery, negative stance at every opportunity. Players written off after 20 minutes, managers to be sacked after a couple of shite results, Well Society labelled as a failure with not much to back it up, but also any new investors not to be trusted and not the direction either, even when results are going well it's still not good enough. Get a buzz out of being the most negative, energy sapping person in the room. 

For the What We Do In The Shadows fans, a bunch of Colin Robinsons (although at least he has good patter). 

Kristen Schaal Hulu GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

If it takes them 20 minutes to get their first touch then maybe we should doubt their credentials.

27 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I love these guys so much. Leaving Dens with the score at 2-2 in their world must've been shite for them as everyone else got to leaving knowing it was 2-3.

The weirdest thing is that a lot of these guys are absolute die-hards - you see them at midweek games in Dingwall or Aberdeen, pre-season friendlies, everywhere. It must be some laugh travelling the country specifically to be angry at a run of the mill league game.

24 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

HAPPY CLAPPY, HAPPY CLAPPY

That's one of those phrases that only exists on-line and sounds fucking ridiculous when people say it in real life. See also "mainstream media" and everything routinely said on Twitter.

3 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Anyone who thinks Bair is "shite" is basing it purely on his St Johnstone spell, or from what they've heard of it, and not what he's done as a Motherwell player. 

Covered about 20 pages back but let's not rewrite history here. When signed it was more of a collective shoulder shrug but most were fair willing to give the benefit of the doubt albeit measured as it was accepted he was a 4th choice .... pastures new and all that.

Until Christmas the vast majority of our support couldn't see much of a difference from his St Johnstone spell and if they did they were very much an outlier.

Cometh the hour though and he stepped up when Mika was recalled and off that has at the very least earned a decent salary bump in August to a very generous one dependent on offers pretty much due to the last 15 games.

16 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Covered about 20 pages back but let's not rewrite history here. When signed it was more of a collective shoulder shrug but most were fair willing to give the benefit of the doubt albeit measured as it was accepted he was a 4th choice .... pastures new and all that.

Until Christmas the vast majority of our support couldn't see much of a difference from his St Johnstone spell and if they did they were very much an outlier.

Cometh the hour though and he stepped up when Mika was recalled and off that has at the very least earned a decent salary bump in August to a very generous one dependent on offers pretty much due to the last 15 games.

All about opinions, but I also said about 20 pages back that I thought even when he wasn't scoring his link up play was pretty good during our early decent form and pretty key to how we were playing at that time (Hearts away for example). 

Can't speak for the majority of the support here, but certainly a good few on here have been pretty vocal in their support of him from the early days, praising his work rate and general play.  Perhaps that was in part to counter the negativity, but I don't think that's a rewriting of history. 

4 hours ago, Eliphas Pettigrew said:

You've pretty much described Craig levein on sven sprangler....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

All about opinions, but I also said about 20 pages back that I thought even when he wasn't scoring his link up play was pretty good during our early decent form and pretty key to how we were playing at that time (Hearts away for example). 

Can't speak for the majority of the support here, but certainly a good few on here have been pretty vocal in their support of him from the early days, praising his work rate and general play.  Perhaps that was in part to counter the negativity, but I don't think that's a rewriting of history. 

I dunno .... before I got involved but I was critical, not due to his pedigree or needing him to fail to reinforce my view, just I thought zero composure.

Praise was certainly in the significant minority of the posts mentioning him from 1st of Nov to Boxing Day:

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/search/?&q=bair&type=forums_topic&page=2&quick=1&item=230925&search_and_or=or&start_after=1698796800&start_before=1703548800&sortby=relevancy

However to be fair, you and a few others recognised something in him and he has came good, so fair play.

If his linkup play, workrate and minutes played were consistent but he finished the season on 5 goals (as he was on course to) then he wouldn't be the subject of transfer or extension talk. Strikers tend to be measured on Goals and xGoals and that's why he's on radars.

Edited by Vietnam91

6 hours ago, Eliphas Pettigrew said:

I m convinced that some 'fans' go to games just to scream "Get to f**k (insert name of latest scapegoat / chosen player they've decided to take an instant dislike to for some obscure reason)

Football crowds allow a release of the pent-up emotions and frustrations of everyday life, even the negative emotions. That scapegoat is a temporary stand-in for every asshole customer/boss/partner/child/parent/authority figure/system/patriarchy/nameless horror that they are not allowed or unable to express frustration at from Saturday 5pm-next Saturday at 2.59. So come 3pm kick-off there's a lot to be vented. Holding it in is not good for your health. We exist to improve people's lives. Even moaning-faced twunts.

18 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Maybe he could try coaching us on how to defend corners? 

I'll admit I've not listened to that or read it etc. However if he said anything that resembles the headline he's a clown. 

Kettlewell has embarrassed himself with his comments over the last few days, we've had plenty of decisions against us this season, this one in particular is an extremely weird hill to die on.

10 hours ago, Swello said:

Has the guy got any history buying and selling land in his line of business? (genuine question).

One thing I've always been sceptical about (more widely, not just us) - if buying and selling land for profit was your business plan, why in the name of f**k would you complicate your life by putting a top flight football club in the middle of your deal? There are lots of pieces of land about, and most of them don't come with a bunch of rabid lunatics opposing your every move and all the negative publicity and hassle that goes with it. If you wanted to make a return on land development, it would be one of the very worst ways to go about it.

The problem would be if we were to get into debt and selling fir park and moving to a much lesser stadium as a solution.

There is a history of teams moving from the centre of town out to the outskirts. It happened with Falkirk, St Mirren, Inverness, St Johnstone.

I don't think there is some mastermind plan to sell up Fir Park but I think the danger is there none the less.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Maybe he could try coaching us on how to defend corners? 

6f3ac503f4839adbeaa517e96724785f.gif.bca7acde8adb7e4b865a54c30ed26d5c.gif

FWIW at the time I really didn't think it was a red. Still think it's harsh and maybe shouldn't be a red (that's a whole other argument about how the game has changed) but I canny get my head around the reaction from the football club it's really not the massive injustice Kettlewell is making it out to be 😂

Edited by MurrayWell

57 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

6f3ac503f4839adbeaa517e96724785f.gif.bca7acde8adb7e4b865a54c30ed26d5c.gif

FWIW at the time I really didn't think it was a red. Still think it's harsh and maybe shouldn't be a red (that's a whole other argument about how the game has changed) but I canny get my head around the reaction from the football club it's really not the massive injustice Kettlewell is making it out to be 😂

Screenshot2024-05-02at22_13_58.thumb.png.a0543499b27c122127d8d27b7ce4beef.png

Narrator: Further comment was made.

8 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Sounds about right. Bair is the latest example of folk making their minds up before he'd even kicked a ball for us and deciding they won't budge from that position because it would mean they have to accept they were wrong, it's bizarre. 

I never get, particularly in these days of modest budgets, when we sign players, how many supposed experts there are. I try my best to have an open mind when we sign players, as 99% of the time, I'm not qualified to form an opinion until I've seen them play. I wonder just how many of his 593 league minutes for St. Johnstone last season all of these 'Well fans caught.

I was probably in between the two personally. When he wasn't playing as much, I wanted him to play more as I thought he was willing (unlike Wilkinson and Shaw) and able (unlike Obika) to knock his pan in. I had no idea or inclination he'd be as good as he has been.

I guess we'll never know if we saw the raw attributes in him and thought we could mould him in to a player, or whether we were after a 4th striker and he was in the right place at the right time. Probably somewhere in between, but either way it's worked out well for us.

9 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The problem would be if we were to get into debt and selling fir park and moving to a much lesser stadium as a solution.

There is a history of teams moving from the centre of town out to the outskirts. It happened with Falkirk, St Mirren, Inverness, St Johnstone.

I don't think there is some mastermind plan to sell up Fir Park but I think the danger is there none the less.

We're perfectly open that we see our future in Ravenscraig which most fans seem to understand tbf.

Whether or not there's extra risk with an outsider doing it... probably?