Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Re McGinn, I found it notable how many of our players referenced him in the poty vote when Spittal and Bair seemed comical stand outs. It would seem a surprise if the coaching staff think radically differently?

McGinn has been incredibly consistent since he's come here, regardless of what sort of basket case is going on around him. I'd be amazed if we started next season with a back three who were all upgrades on him. Giving him an extension even isn't a question for me.

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

McGinn has been incredibly consistent since he's come here, regardless of what sort of basket case is going on around him. I'd be amazed if we started next season with a back three who were all upgrades on him. Giving him an extension even isn't a question for me.

Did hear he's been offered an extension and was just a case of waiting to secure our Premiership status before finalising it. Hopefully that's true, McGinn has been terrific for us. 

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Did hear he's been offered an extension and was just a case of waiting to secure our Premiership status before finalising it. Hopefully that's true, McGinn has been terrific for us. 

Can't remember if it was on here or not, but the chat I saw was that he was that he was offered one but was keeping his options open. Fingers crossed yours is the truer version of events. As much as I like him, I wouldn't want him extending his contract on the eve of the season starting like Casey did last year.

14 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Largely agree but he's fair let some errors in as well...Morton most notably but there were others.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

53 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Largely agree but he's fair let some errors in as well...Morton most notably but there were others.

Agree with all 3 of you. McGinn on the whole has been very consistent and just goes about his business quietly and efficiently. Yes, he's made his share of errors, but you can perhaps attribute some of that to the lack of certainty/cohesion in the defensive unit game to game. When your defensive partners are changing regularly, or your manager has one of his in game brainwaves that results in everyone finishing the match in a different position from the one they started it, then I'm prepared to make allowances.

As said above, the votes he picked up in the PPOTY shows how much he is valued within the squad. If we can start the new season with 3 fit centre-backs and get them.on the park together week after week, I'd be more than happy for McGinn to be one of them. At this stage of his career I'd imagine any move would be a sideways one at best, possibly for a small uplift in his wages. I think, all things considered, he'd be wise to stick around where he knows regular starts are a strong probability, so I hope he does.

(If he does stay, maybe someone could work with him on his shooting over the summer for his occasional foray up the park, after a couple of his sitter of the season efforts in the past. Guy just goes to pieces in the opposition box lol).

1 hour ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Had to double check this wasn't another fake account

Seems like the Record have deleted the Tweet but it’s Stephen McGowan’s exclusive…

Either way…as plot twists go

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91pth7ln0v9t69o2w12m

Would have been nice if Joe Hart retired last summer, I guess the concussion Sol gave him wasn't as serious as he made out. Not that we would have got money for Kelly from them.

This has a snowflakes chance in hell of happening as a starter, backup maybe but I doubt his ego would allow it.

As for the numbers, semi encouraging when you add the context of the lions share of our loss being made up of golden handshakes for managers and assistants and pitch/Hunter improvements which the Covid loan had to be used on, it would have to be reflected sometime.

Fag packeting the difference in our average wage to Killie and St Mirren is £110-140 per week per player, 25 man first team squad, that's up to £3,500 a week and £140k-£180k a season.

AKA a KVV loan fee.

With all this talk of possible new goalkeepers, I just wanted to add something that I had been told a week or so ago, Kelly has had a contract offer from Bristol Rovers. I was hesitant on posting this because I know how some people just post nonsense for views or clicks but I decided I'd say it seeing as the person who told me has gotten things right before. If it happens then fine it's something else they've been correct about, if not then I look like an idiot and I just don't post anything I hear again aha.

Kelly has a couple of things in his favour. Right now his agent can point out he is in the Scotland squad for the Euros and that is worth ~€50K in payments to his new club just for being there.

The link with Celtic kind of makes sense if they are worried about European limits on homegrown players. What are the other options for a Scottish goalie? He isn't really any worse than Bain.  So if Celtic want to continue to focus on bringing in guys to sell on wasting a valuable international spot on their European roster for a sub goalie doesn't seem like a smart idea.

Kelly to Celtic as back-up is a reasonable call actually. He'd be cheap for them, McGregor etc know him from the Scotland squad and under less pressure he'd probably make fewer mistakes.

As for him, he'll set himself up for life, expand his medal collection and who knows, given how some of Celtic's keepers work out, may even play more than expected. He can still play tonnes in his 30s when he leaves.

If Kelly gets a life-changing contract at Celtic after the season he's had you have to say fair play 😂.

Was seeing something about them needing eight homegrown players in their squad and only having six at the moment, so maybe not the wildest suggestion. 

Liam Kelly crossing the Old Firm divide isn't something I thought his ability would ever justify happening.

Tbf, regardless of whether it's Celtic or not, going by the reporting I think the main takeaway from the Kelly thing is that (as expected) he's most likely away.

Which is fine and I think everyone agrees that a fresh start somewhere else is what he needs.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, regardless of whether it's Celtic or not, going by the reporting I think the main takeaway from the Kelly thing is that (as expected) he's most likely away.

Which is fine and I think everyone agrees that a fresh start somewhere else is what he needs.

Also our highest earner by a fair bit apparently, so makes sense. Kettlewell seems to like him, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was offered a new deal on reduced terms. But personally I think if someone is offering Kelly thousands of pounds a week to be third choice he'd be daft not to take it.

He has been good for us at times,  but it's really not working out here for him at the moment. I'm sure someone else pointed out, earlier in the thread, he's now at the point where, even if he went on an incredible run of form for us, as soon as a mistake is made all confidence is lost again, from the fans anyway. 

He may well not end up at Celtic as third choice, or whatever, but I absolutely agree it's time for both parties to shake hands and say 'aw the best'.