Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I want Kelly to leave just for the main reason we may get an outfield player as Captain. I cannot stand having a goalie as the (c) of the team. Drives me up the wall.

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

It might mean that Benji is available. 

Go get Benji.

Or, more likely given the talk about their homegrown player quotas etc., they might be offering him lesser terms to save a few quid and replace their current Scottish backup Mr Bain........

(Please God, no).

29 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I want Kelly to leave just for the main reason we may get an outfield player as Captain. I cannot stand having a goalie as the (c) of the team. Drives me up the wall.

Agreed. Captain should be defender or central midfielder, someone who can influence the game from middle of park

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Liam Kelly crossing the Old Firm divide isn't something I thought his ability would ever justify happening.

Yeah Mark Brown vibes about this but at least he was going through a purple patch at the time. I'm guessing Rodgers is wanting a back up keeper who is decent with his feet however call me old fashioned when I like a keeper who can actually use his hands competently. Having said that Stevie Woods managed to turn Fraser Forster from a lump of wood in to an absolute Colossus for us and helped reserect Gordon's career too so you never know. Kelly has definitely fallen upwards here though if it happens.

Edited by gannonball

8 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Kelly has a couple of things in his favour. Right now his agent can point out he is in the Scotland squad for the Euros and that is worth ~€50K in payments to his new club just for being there.

Kelly extended his contract til after the Euros so that we get that payment if he goes.

31 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Stevie Woods managed to turn Fraser Forster from a lump of wood in to an absolute Colossus for us

Those who can't do, teach.

36 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Having said that Stevie Woods managed to turn Fraser Forster from a lump of wood in to an absolute Colossus for us and helped reserect Gordon's career too so you never know. Kelly has definitely fallen upwards here though if it happens.

Coming onto the Motherwell thread and mentioning Stevie Woods is always a conversation starter...*

If Celtic are needing more homegrown players for Europe, then having folk like Kelly & Bain as #2 and #3 is a no-brainer really.  I did wonder if Rangers would've done similar and look to get Kelly back in as a back-up goalie (surely McCrorie needs to go somewhere and actually fucking play?).  If Kelly is happy to give up playing every week for the sake of an extra couple of grand a week, it's also a no-brainer from his side.  Whatever happens, it's definitely the right time for Kelly & Motherwell to part ways.

*He wasn't as bad as some make out, IMO.

Just now, Desp said:

Coming onto the Motherwell thread and mentioning Stevie Woods is always a conversation starter...*

If Celtic are needing more homegrown players for Europe, then having folk like Kelly & Bain as #2 and #3 is a no-brainer really.  I did wonder if Rangers would've done similar and look to get Kelly back in as a back-up goalie (surely McCrorie needs to go somewhere and actually fucking play?).  If Kelly is happy to give up playing every week for the sake of an extra couple of grand a week, it's also a no-brainer from his side.  Whatever happens, it's definitely the right time for Kelly & Motherwell to part ways.

Stevie Woods is nowhere near the worst we've had. Compared to some of the absolute donkeys we've had in the last 10-15 years he's positively good on reflection. 

Kelly pulls off a fair amount of good reaction saves but I cannot wait to not have to suffer him make an arse of just about every cross that comes near his 6 yard box.

Just now, Desp said:

This is it, I don't think anyone who's paying attention is looking at this and thinking Celtic are signing Kelly to be their #1 - it's clearly a box ticking exercise. Which is fine.

That said from Kelly's POV he's already done a stint as 3rd (4th?) choice keeper at QPR, which is how he ended up with us in the first place.

So as you say, unless he's changed his mind on the whole wanting to play games thing then if he has other options on the table that might give him a more realistic shot at meaningful game time then it's hard to see what the upside is for him other than the uplift in salary and even then is it likely to be significantly more than he was on at QPR?

I mean, I wouldn't blame him for taking the move but it's definitely the right to for parting ways.

I love when folk defend Stevie Woods. He gets it tight for a few terrible mistakes but was really pretty decent. 

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I love when folk defend Stevie Woods. He gets it tight for a few terrible mistakes but was really pretty decent. 

I was at Clydebank in '95 when he played outfield for 15 minutes.  I'll defend him for life after being witness to those moments of joy.

10 minutes ago, Desp said:

I was at Clydebank in '95 when he played outfield for 15 minutes.  I'll defend him for life after being witness to those moments of joy.

That was the Motherwell JFK moment. It was weird walking out the ground happy despite Van Der Gaag breaking his leg. 

Woods was fine - but everyone was still missing the big moustache charging about the 18 yard box and fighting with his centre halfs.

I've long said that Kelly's performances reflect the form of the team. He's good, sometimes even great in a team that's confident. He's poor, sometimes awful in a team that are not. I think that in many ways is down to character, rather than ability. I think ability wise he's fine as a goalkeeper. I don't think his concession straight from a corner against Dundee, or the mad way he tried to claim that cross against St. Johnstone are down to ability, more decision making, which has been shattered by his fragile confidence. I think there's a scenario where he could go to another club, in the right scenario and environment and do well. What I will say though is, that I think the post Lasley captaincy curse has weighed heavy on him. He's proven to be the exact opposite of what we've needed in a captain.

I think he'd get on fine playing the odd cup game, or covering a supension or a short term injury at a club like Celtic, who win most games and have most of the ball. Of course, there's no danger he'd ever be number one. 

He's played every week for us consistently for 3.5 years now and on the other side of it, he's also been number 2 / 3 at QPR and Rangers for extended periods of time. He might think at 28, where clearly his international career isn't in the midst of taking off, that becoming a number 2 for a wage rise is a new cushty number. I wouldn't blame him - being a sub goalie seems the best job in the world.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Having said that Stevie Woods managed to turn Fraser Forster from a lump of wood in to an absolute Colossus for us and helped reserect Gordon's career too so you never know. Kelly has definitely fallen upwards here though if it happens.

Forster was a colossus though, physically. I won't say it's easy but all he needed was agility then you've got a monster of a keeper due to his size.

I'll die on the hill that Kelly is too small and unimposing to ever be a top Scottish level keeper, and I don't think there's any way you can improve that now.

All of these rumours make sense when you hear Ketts say he wants to have a more settled pre-season. Last season we seemed to be pissing about a the last minute bringing players in and punting players.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, camer0n_mcd said:

All of these rumours make sense when you hear Ketts say he wants to have a more settled pre-season. Last season we seemed to be pissing about a the last minute bringing players in and punting players.

Frail said pretty much same in terms of wanting a more settled pre-season when he spoke to the press last week. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-aim-squad-shape-early-32705681

In fairness the punting players was on instruction.

He'd been told to bring the spend down in line with a level the board were more comfortable with so it was a case of finding takers for as many as we could and generally re-appraising our approach. That was before we even hit the one-in-one-out stage.

From memory Weir said at the AGM that the difference between where we were and where the board wanted things to be was something like the equivalent losing 6 players. Which explains us binning the Reserves and just choosing to run with u18s and bounce games over the sort of wastage we'd been used to through the Robinson, Alexander and Hammell eras.

I mean, when you look at the sheer level of movement we've seen between last summer and now it's absolutely nuts and tbh it's credit to Kettlewell in terms of him actually having done a good job (shoutout @thisGRAEME's chat on the Monday/Tuesday pod - another rare treat IMO).

In terms of numbers since the end of last season (I've only included each player once as there are some overlaps eg: Mahon and Campbell were both loaned out and released, Oli Shaw was famously returned then sent back to us and Ewan Wilson has been loaned out twice):

Departed/loans expired/released: 18
Out: 11
Loan (Out)/recalled: 12

Like I say, nuts...

On 04/06/2023 at 23:41, capt_oats said:

Goalkeepers:

1. Liam Kelly (27) - 2024
13. Aston Oxborough (25) - 2024

Defenders:

2. Stephen O'Donnell (31) - 2024
3. Georgie Gent (19) - 2024 - season loan from Blackburn Rovers
5. Bevis Mugabi (28) - 2024
15. Dan Casey (25) - 2025
16. Paul McGinn (32) - 2024
20. Shane Blaney (24) - 2025
21. Adam Devine (20) - 2024 - season loan from Rangers
22. Adam Montgomery (21) - 2023 - season loan from Celtic
29. Callan Elliot (24) - 2024
66. Calum Butcher (32) - 2024

Midfielders:

6. Barry Maguire (25) - 2024
7. Blair Spittal (27) - 2024
8. Callum Slattery (24) - 2024
11. Andy Halliday (32) - 2024 + 1 year
12. Harry Paton (25) - 2025
17. Davor Zdravkovski (25) - 2025
38. Lennon Miller (16) - 2026
39. Luca Ross (16) - 2025

Forwards:

9. Jon Obika (32) - 2024 + 1 year option
14. Thelonius Bair (23) - 2025
18. Oli Shaw (25) - 2024 - season loan from Barnsley
19. Sam Nicholson (29) - 2024
24. Moses Ebiye (26) - 2025
28. Jack Vale (22) - 2024 - season loan from Blackburn Rovers

In

• 19/06/23 - Jon Obika (from Morecambe - free transfer)
  • 04/07/23 - Conor Wilkinson (from Walsall - free transfer)
  • 17/07/23 - Pape Souaré (from Morecambe - free transfer)
  • 21/07/23 - Davor Zdravkovski (from AEL Limassol - free transfer)
  • 01/08/23 - Thelonius Bair (from St Johnstone - free transfer)
  • 22/01/24 - Callan Elliot (unattached - previously Wellington Phoenix - free transfer)
  • 23/01/24 - Sam Nicholson (from Colorado Rapids - free transfer)
  • 05/03/24 - Moses Ebiye (from Aalesund - free transfer)

In (Loan)

• 03/08/23 - Mika Biereth (from Arsenal - season)
  • 24/08/23 - Brodie Spencer (from Huddersfield Town - season)
  • 31/08/23 - Oli Shaw (from Barnsley - season)
  • 01/09/23 - Georgie Gent (from Blackburn Rovers - season)
  • 15/01/24 - Adam Montgomery (from Celtic - season)
  • 19/01/24 - Andy Haliday (from Hearts - season + 1 year permanent)
  • 31/01/24 - Jack Vale (from Blackburn Rovers - season)
  • 01/02/24 - Adam Devine (from Rangers - season)
  • 01/02/24 - Jili Buyabu (from Sheffield United - season)
  • 08/02/24 - Oli Shaw (from Barnsley - season)

Out (Loan)

• 14/07/23 - Robbie Mahon (to Edinburgh City - season)
  • 15/07/23 - Sam Campbell (to Annan Athletic - to January '24)
  • 24/07/23 - Ross Tierney (to Walsall - season)
  • 04/08/23 - Adam MacDonald (to Cowdenbeath - season)
  • 18/08/23 - Barry Maguire (to Kidderminster Harriers - to January 24)
  • 25/08/23 - Robbie Garcia (to Cowdenbeath - to January 24)
  • 26/08/23 - Ricki Lamie (to Dundee - season)
  • 29/09/23 - Mark Ferrie (to Stenhousemuir - to January 24)
  • 29/09/23 - Ewan Wilson (to Stirling Albion - season - loan terminated 06/03/2024)
  • 30/09/23 - Nathan McGinley (to Partick Thistle - to January 24)
  • 22/12/23 - Matty Connelly (to East Kilbride - season)
  • 03/01/24 - Brodie Spencer (to Huddersfield Town - loan recall option exercised)
  • 11/01/24 - Arran Bone (to Gala Fairydean Rovers - season)
  • 18/01/24 - Mika Biereth (to Arsenal - loan recall option exercised - loaned to Sturm Graz)
  • 24/01/24 - Oli Shaw (to Barnsley - loan cancelled)
  • 21/02/24 - Jili Buyabu (to Sheffield United - loan cancelled)
  • 06/03/24 - Ewan Wilson (to Beith Juniors)

Out

• 20/06/23 - Kevin Van Veen (to FC Groningen - undisclosed )
  • 22/06/23 - Dean Cornelius (to Harrogate Town - undisclosed)
  • 24/07/23 - Riku Danzaki (to Western United - free)
  • 25/07/23 - Max Johnston (to Sturm Graz - £300k - development compensation)
  • 26/07/23 - Connor Shields (to Chennaiyin FC - free)
  • 09/08/23 - Ali Gould (to Watford u21)
  • 16/09/23 - Joe Efford (to PAS Giannina - free)
  • 01/01/24 - Pape Souaré (contract expired)
  • 03/01/24 - Conor Wilkinson (to Colchester United - undisclosed)
  • 04/01/24 - Sam Campbell (contract expired)
  • 11/01/24 - Robbie Mahon (to Dundalk - free)
  • 23/01/24 - Nathan McGinley (released - mutual consent)

Players confirmed departing club at end of contract:

Loans expired:

Contracted players released:

Edited by capt_oats