Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

What is our record for goals in the one match from a player? I can only think of Moult scoring 4 that time vs Accies.

It's much more than that if you go back to the tour games of the 1930s.

Anyone remember the cup game at FP which we won 7-0 with 7 different scorers?

So basically, moses scored 2 before half time, the  we score 6 more goals I  the second half and everyone just attributed then with moses? Funny stuff.

Good to hear yhe squad getting some game time, goals and most importantly, a clean sheet.

Seems this season can go one way or another.

I think we will get a good feeling post the league cup group stage and first 4-5 league games.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's clearly less funny than Ebiye scoring 8 (EIGHT) goals but Robinson getting a hat-trick and Stuparević also scoring feels like a good thing as far as early stages go.

Compared to Wilkinson falling over his own feet and sclaffing trundlers wide from 6 yards against Elgin, very much so. 

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Moses played a total of 81 minutes for us last season, and still scored twice (six sub appearances). 

I think we were in a nice position where he didn't need to hit the ground running, but he always looked tidy enough whenever we brought him on. 

Aye. His finish up in Dundee was excellent as well. He's obviously got something, and the fact that Kettlewell does seem to know how to get the best out of a striker gives me quite a bit of optimism. 

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

What is our record for goals in the one match from a player? I can only think of Moult scoring 4 that time vs Accies.

Off the top of my head Ian St John scored 6 against Flamenco and Falkirk think. Pretty sure Willie McFadyen would have something to add to the discussion though given his scoring record. 

Edited by fatcalf

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

He also set up a sitter for Shaw, hit the post v Livingston and cleared one off the line v Hibs.

I certainly wouldn't put the mortgage on him being brilliant but I found people writing him off on the basis of a few cameos hilarious, even by our standards.

I'll bite on this one. I made a comment a few months back that his game time was getting less as the season progressed rather than increasing which is the opposite you would expect. I wondered if the management discovered with reality of seeing him every day opposed to a showreal and stats was less than expected (bit like Danzaki or Elliot). What he's done so far is really encouraging.

Getting a fair bit of our business done early seems to be paying off. It feels like these two games in previous seasons would be us losing 8-0 to the 3rd in the Dutch league and drawing 2-2 today and people dismissing it as pre-season and not to read too much into it.

Left back seems to be the eternal conundrum at this football club but <checks notes> with two months before the window closes we may be fine. Since wingbacks seem a shoe-in under Ketts, the nature of their game and five subs, there's a good chance both starting won't finish. I'd be keen to develop our own players with that amount of game time than doing it for Huddersfield, Brighton, Blackburn and the OF.

39 minutes ago, fatcalf said:

Off the top of my head Ian St John scored 6 against Flamenco and Falkirk think. Pretty sure Willie McFadyen would have something to add to the discussion though given his scoring record. 

What was it like watching those players in the flesh?

2 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

I'll bite on this one. I made a comment a few months back that his game time was getting less as the season progressed rather than increasing which is the opposite you would expect. I wondered if the management discovered with reality of seeing him every day opposed to a showreal and stats was less than expected (bit like Danzaki or Elliot). What he's done so far is really encouraging.

Sure, that was definitely a curiousity...but he was clearly signed primarily with a view to this season, there's a big difference between thinking he might have had more of a run and dismissing him as shite on less than 90 minutes the way some did.

4 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Stevie Kirk scored 4 against St Mirren in 1989 and as I recall had to fight to get the match ball at the end. 

I’ve got an interesting (and non-loaded) question for the Motherwell fans.

Do you think social media/the ability to access information online makes it easier or harder for someone to invest in or try to take over a club than it did 25 years ago.

Or, to ask the question another way, if The Well Society and social media etc are all as they are now do you think John Boyle would’ve been able to take the club over in the early SPL days.

28 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’ve got an interesting (and non-loaded) question for the Motherwell fans.

Do you think social media/the ability to access information online makes it easier or harder for someone to invest in or try to take over a club than it did 25 years ago.

Or, to ask the question another way, if The Well Society and social media etc are all as they are now do you think John Boyle would’ve been able to take the club over in the early SPL days.

I think if a "local businessman" confessing to be a 'Well supporter sold his (fairly well known) business and offered to sink a good few million quid of the profits into the club, he'd be welcomed with open arms social media or no. The source of Boyle's money was a known thing and his initial intentions were totally benign even if he blew it in the execution - so I'm not sure what alarm bells would be ringing.