Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

... or you're bought in to the vision of the manager, the Club and his plans and you decide it's where you want to sign and are enthusiastic about getting started?

It's a valid theory... whether in practice many would sign on for the vision if they thought they'd a viable swing at another £500 a week by waiting a month, I'm not so sure.

Posted (edited)

Definitely liking the squad being assembled so quickly and of course we know there may be another few near the end of the window as something always pops up, although a few unknown qualities it’s looking likely that it’s a better quality we have brought in as well as a few that know the level very well and with the right management and surroundings could step up.

On the WS I do feel that more could be done to get things out there and people on board. You don’t really see a big social media push from them to try get new members etc. but I feel now would be a good time for them to be a lot more active in trying to convince fans to side with them and their plans for the future of our club.

Edited by supermarv

I think getting the bulk of the squad together early is better - simply as we miss out on so many targets when desperate clubs are throwing money about later in the window that is out of our range. We are getting guys in now that we actually want rather than the scraps at 2 minutes to midnight - a bird in the hand and all that.

If we get a solid squad together, we are then in a better position to pick up some tasty loans when England are back from holiday or concentrate on "that one player" that becomes available in August.

Also a big fan of romping the LC group and going into the real stuff in decent form and not under instant pressure (and I'm still scarred at the state we were in at Airdrie when Alexander was going for a late squad building exercise).

1 hour ago, camer0n_mcd said:

That'd be our 10th signing of the summer (our 9th permanent signing), it's incredible we're managing to do all this business despite being skint and desperate of a cash injection, unless of course.... We're not🙃.

We're spending the Barmack millions* already 

*over 6 years.**

**maybe

Posted (edited)

Last summer we got Bair, Biereth and Spencer all in August, it was September when we sign Georgie Gent. On the other hand we also got Oli Shaw (shudder) in late August. 

I think like any other time in the window there are good and bad deals to be done, but in terms of this window it's so far so good and there's no real need for panic which is a better position than what we've been in at this point in about 4/5 seasons.

Edited by camer0n_mcd

For me, now you get players you want and they want you.

In late August you are scrambling to find guys to fill holes and that desperation at times can lead desperate signings.

Thing is, at present we head towards the business end of the window where we can be very choosy opposed to throwing mud at a wall. If a bargain comes up then we can pounce and maybe steal them from Killie or St Mirren and leave the panty wetters with nothing to say.

We've done our business the right way for once I think. 

Prepared early, got the vast majority of the squad in early. A couple of spots still to fill now basically 

Doesn't stop me having the mad irrational fear that we won't have suitable wings come proper league start. Would have preferred them in now too but that's very easy for me to say 

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Massive shrug...there's definitely an advantage to being done early but there's some players of a higher quality who only become available or decide to commit later in the summer. You only sign for us in June if you're sure there's nothing better out there...

I'd assume with the lwb we're basically done and will hold off the rest of the budget to see how it starts and if there's extra additions available at the deadline.

I think it's important to strike a balance between having most of your preferred XI gelling throughout pre-season friendlies and leaving room for a handy player that might only become available after 2 or 3 league games.

Of course, there are seasons where you could end up with Mika on loan from Arsenal, but there are also others where you could be linked with umpteen strikers only to end up with Conor Sammon on loan.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Worth mentioning that @thisGRAEME and @JayMFC's pod is free-to-air.

Great podcast, and all the key points hit. 

I’ve written and deleted my thoughts on the bid about 40 times over the last few weeks because I start out semi-coherently and by the end I’m full on rant.  In day to day life I really like listening to other peoples views and learning why people believe what they believe, but I just can’t wrap my head around why people think this is a good deal. 

I’ve heard various reasons, but most seem to be based on what people think Barmack will bring to the table rather than anything concrete.  I am fully willing to believe he’s a successful guy, and why I’m all for “transferable skills” a football club is a different kettle of fish and I just can’t see where an extra 300k a year gets us. 

I work a fair bit in England, and the number of people who have lost interest in their premier league club because they don’t feel an attachment to them is huge.  For example I know a good few Man City fans who take their kids to lower league/non league football for the community aspect. So for me, @JayMFC and @thisGRAEME hit the nail on the head when talking about the importance of being a community club. That to me is Motherwell, it’s why I support Motherwell and I’m not interested in gambling that. 

The other main take home from the podcast is I’m missing all the LCD Soundsystem chat so I’ll need to pay more attention to the thread. 

Edited by Ceiling Granny

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Not quite the same but Jay joined me yesterday for a terrace pod that'll be out... shortly.

That was a great listen. Hopefully gets heard by as many society members as possible. 

Edited by CoF

6 minutes ago, CoF said:

That was a great listen. Hopefully gets heard by as society members as possible. 

Agreed. Could the Well Society promote that on the various platforms? Seems a no brainer.

I had a chat with work colleague today who is also a society member and he is voting for the proposal.

his reasons aren’t the 300k a year but what EB brings to the table. I asked what signing Money Heist (tremendous program) for Netflix brings to a football club and he just said different ideas and contacts. 

this might be true but to hand over control of the club to someone who might be able to raise our profile and bring more money in seems ludicrous. He sort of agreed with me. Still think he will vote for the proposal. 

Just now, steelmen said:

I had a chat with work colleague today who is also a society member and he is voting for the proposal.

his reasons aren’t the 300k a year but what EB brings to the table. I asked what signing Money Heist (tremendous program) for Netflix brings to a football club and he just said different ideas and contacts. 

this might be true but to hand over control of the club to someone who might be able to raise our profile and bring more money in seems ludicrous. He sort of agreed with me. Still think he will vote for the proposal. 

I've spoke to maybe 10-12 folk now who are WS members and all are voting no. So hopefully that's the ratio! 

For what it's worth, I'm into the ideas side of it more than a lot of folk are - sorry to some on here. But the money would absolutely have to be transformational for me to even consider voting it through, like massive, and chairmanship and balance of board members etc would have to be completely different.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, steelmen said:

No offence to your friend. But without Barmack providing detailed proposals as how he plans to use his skills and experience to grow the business, thats a bit of a "punt".

Also, theres no reason, if Barmack is confident in his skills and abilities he couldnt come.up with a deal that would allow him to make miney out of him "growing the business" without taking majority shareholding/control.

Lets face it we would all be quite happy for him to take a percentage out of the club if the club itself remained secure and had more money in the coffers.

The fact the deal does none of this is what has most people concerned.

Edited by joewarkfanclub