Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

47 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

I think it sums up how passive the Well Society AGM was when the return of Watt dominates the forum. I think everybody is giving the new board some breathing space. 

I would like to have heard the positive/negative affect on membership numbers but this wasn't available. A less garbled report on WS finances would have been helpful - somebody needs to have a word with Tom Feely on his presentation style. Hopefully there will be some news on potential investment/sponsorship soon call it what you will.  

Hopefully the addition of Stephen Cameron to the board will happen as I think it is well deserved and needed.

Sure they said that we have around 4000 members now 

5 minutes ago, ClaretAmberb said:

I don't think anyone really knows the full circumstances of Watt leaving us - probably more to it than folk know and I've got no issues with him coming back. 

Show Me The Money GIFThe circumstances 

Played Queen’s Park today in a reserve game, a couple of pictures look like possible trialists, number 9 and 11. 9 looks like Robinson from the back but there’s no way we are risking him in a bounce game

11 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Played Queen’s Park today in a reserve game, a couple of pictures look like possible trialists, number 9 and 11. 9 looks like Robinson from the back but there’s no way we are risking him in a bounce game

Great. More forwards.

13 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

There was the guy from the Leicester youths mentioned after the Everton bounce game. That could be the trialist.

1 hour ago, Wellwatcher said:

I think it sums up how passive the Well Society AGM was when the return of Watt dominates the forum. I think everybody is giving the new board some breathing space. 

I would like to have heard the positive/negative affect on membership numbers but this wasn't available. A less garbled report on WS finances would have been helpful - somebody needs to have a word with Tom Feely on his presentation style. Hopefully there will be some news on potential investment/sponsorship soon call it what you will.  

Hopefully the addition of Stephen Cameron to the board will happen as I think it is well deserved and needed.

He was one along with another couple whose video impressed me and noticed a reference by someone on the board to him having helped the society in the past so he would be a suitable candidate in my eyes. Also spoke at length with Greg Anderson and his knowledge and experience was extremely impressive, would have been good to have heard more of that in his video but he clearly has an impressive cv and operates a pretty sizeable business which I learned a lot more about. Derek for me is the first vote on my sheet. Spoke extremely well, has dedicated a huge amount of time to the society and clearly has a passion and desire to do better in the society. I think he’s a great asset. As for the 4th I have no idea tbh.

did hold admiration for those who were present who didn’t use the evening as a pitch opportunity in their questioning tho. 😂

On the subject of  tony watt . Like many it’s not one I would have welcomed but I think the fact I’m not as bothered as I thought I would be. Is pretty indicative of how I’m feeling about the season ahead. 

here’s hoping he can reflect on what he did here before and what we did for his career last time, screw the nut and deliver for the good of all our healths this season 

1 hour ago, Wellwatcher said:

No exact numbers offered but I asked the question afterwards and was told about 20 had given up their contributions (12 of those obviously the pals of the Radio Scotland guy from the other week so in reality 8 ) and that membership was up around the 4000 mark now. 

One other point I want to make is that the calibre of the candidates gives me even more positive vibes we are moving in the right direction. Many of those standing already are involved in the workstreams and making a difference. Then you have Colin

Edited by fatcalf

22 minutes ago, ClaretAmberb said:

Apparently he was offered a contract on lower terms than he was on and if that was the case I don't think anyone could blame him for going elsewhere for more money. 

Did Utd not buy him in the January transfer window? I doubt it came down to the new contract we'd have been offering in the summer and probably hadn't even started negotiations on.

Whatever you think about the Watt signing I think the main thing is that it's almost a guarantee that everyone has something to say about it ! Which I think suits TW down to the ground.  Personally I'm pretty excited about it if only because it gives a glimmer of hope that we'll have someone who's first thought is attacking and is a bit of a shithouse.

Folk that get bent out of shape at a footballer kissing the badge then joining another club and celebrating a goal against you must be an absolute joy to go to a pantomime with.  

26 minutes ago, Wellmental21 said:

He was one along with another couple whose video impressed me and noticed a reference by someone on the board to him having helped the society in the past so he would be a suitable candidate in my eyes. Also spoke at length with Greg Anderson and his knowledge and experience was extremely impressive, would have been good to have heard more of that in his video but he clearly has an impressive cv and operates a pretty sizeable business which I learned a lot more about. Derek for me is the first vote on my sheet. Spoke extremely well, has dedicated a huge amount of time to the society and clearly has a passion and desire to do better in the society. I think he’s a great asset. As for the 4th I have no idea tbh.

did hold admiration for those who were present who didn’t use the evening as a pitch opportunity in their questioning tho. 😂

It was a bit of an odd segway in what was a Q&A which turned into an infomertial. Don't know if because a few of the rest of those up for election asked questions, it created name recognition and felt there was a need to get involved.

Thanks for the kind words from a few in person, on here and in private over the past week .... and in the last hour.

Removing Derek from the equation, there are five people up for election who showed up the cold rainy nights in mid winter for the preparatory workstream meetings and now sit on various groups. Martin and Gavin on Comms, Nick and myself on Governance and Kyrk on what will now combine membership, events and fundraising. I think I can speak for all when I say we did so before things came to a head through in the summer and what happened was not our motivator nor catalyst to become involved.

I watched 10 seconds of my video and stopped it, I hated recording it and it felt forced when normally I engage quite freely. If it impressed I can only assume it was the content not the delivery.

The depth of candidates for election to The WS is pretty impressive. Good luck to all of them! 

I would point out that after multiple discussions with @Vietnam91 - Stephen Cameron during the investment debacle, Stephen stuck his head on the block to highlight the background issues that most were unaware of. 

Smart, articulate and prepared to go the extra mile, I wish him the best in this election.

1 hour ago, Well Fan said:

The depth of candidates for election to The WS is pretty impressive. Good luck to all of them! 

Yeah, I'm really not sure how it'll go, purely because any time you write four names there's some left out where you can't help but think ooh that's harsh.

From the 17, I think the bold Colin deserves credit for putting his money where his mouth is and standing against the odds but too soon... I would hope he remains a constructive critic from the backbenches.

I'm also massively impressed by the Americans for their initiative but don't think they need space on the board for it... support and encourage them by all means but they can have their own working group reporting in.

So that has you approaching a dozen for seven WS board places plus potentially six on the executive. I think it's essential there's outside oversight in the executive, particularly the chair, so there might not be an immediate place for absolutely everyone...but if we can put egos aside post-vote and have an open analysis of how and where to best use the strengths of everyone, we're not a kick in the arse off getting almost all of the viable contenders in the tent somehow by the end of the year.

And if you'd told me we'd suddenly have that group of folk working for us in the Society/executive this time last year, I would have laughed long and loud...so fair play to everyone, I think we have reason for optimism. If only we could actually play football, things would be great!

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yeah, I'm really not sure how it'll go, purely because any time you write four names there's some left out where you can't help but think ooh that's harsh.

From the 17, I think the bold Colin deserves credit for putting his money where his mouth is and standing against the odds but too soon... I would hope he remains a constructive critic from the backbenches.

I'm also massively impressed by the Americans for their initiative but don't think they need space on the board for it... support and encourage them by all means but they can have their own working group reporting in.

So that has you approaching a dozen for seven WS board places plus potentially six on the executive. I think it's essential there's outside oversight in the executive, particularly the chair, so there might not be an immediate place for absolutely everyone...but if we can put egos aside post-vote and have an open analysis of how and where to best use the strengths of everyone, we're not a kick in the arse off getting almost all of the viable contenders in the tent somehow by the end of the year.

And if you'd told me we'd suddenly have that group of folk working for us in the Society/executive this time last year, I would have laughed long and loud...so fair play to everyone, I think we have reason for optimism. If only we could actually play football, things would be great!

Aye. I've found myself in a similar sort of position.

I mentioned this to someone the other day but while after Monday if I never hear the term "workstream" again it'll be too soon it remains the case that what the refreshed board have done in developing things in the way they have allows for a framework that should allow them to lean on the skills and talents of others in a way that can be constructive and inclusive.

Ultimately, if you've put your name forward but aren't voted on to the board then there is surely still a space to be involved (if you want to). Tbh, that actually feels like an ideal starting point IMO rather than just getting parachuted into a seat on the board.

I mean, this shouldn't sound revolutionary but it feels as though it is in the context.

I can't speak as to what the WS board has been like previously but from the outside looking in you can perhaps see how the idea that a "bowling club" closed shop mentality has been allowed to manifest.

It will never not be telling that Douglas Dickie opted to step down on the basis that he couldn't "align" himself with much of the content of the original Society statement.

The key part for me in that respect is that while a range of views is both healthy and important you also kind of need a shared understanding and consensus of what a Fan Owned club should look like so if you're voting someone onto the board it doesn't feel particularly constructive if that person's view is antithetical to the majority of those currently in place. That's just disruptive (and not in a good way).

Similarly, without wanting to pick on anyone specifically my response to the US based candidates kind of firmed during the AGM on Monday in so much as it became clear that there is surely space for those abroad to be involved within this new structure but it doesn't necessitate them actually having to be on the board. When you unpack that it feels true for many of those who have put their names forward with 100% credible pitches that would add value to the Society.

Once I got my head round that idea it opened up the whole thing and allowed me to vote with a bit more confidence.

Edited by capt_oats

In other news, the buns being knocked out of the CL last night, no additional approx. 650k solidarity payments from UEFA.

As covered at peak investment that money while closing our fund gap for this season at least, it would simply keep parity with the rest of the league, so with everyone with extra money available decisions would have to be made on banking a portion of it or spending most of it to enhance the playing staff with shortfalls as they were before.

What it would have allowed, and maybe a bit premature since Killie and St Mirren play this week, is to shorten the gap between them and us as I understand payments are only distributed to the seven teams not competing in UEFA competition. If they get knocked out this week then it must be commensurate with what they've earned to date. However if they progress, those funds would have have done something to stop them pulling away.

Edited by Vietnam91

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

A lot of great candidates - very hard to pick 4. Could have picked 6 or 7. 

@Vietnam91, @DerekWatson, Greg and Gavin. Don't let me doon 😉

Greatly appreciate that Eliphas. I genuinely feel i have a lot of business resources and knowledge that i can bring to the table that will benefit us enormously but like i have said before the level of candidates are fantastic and it really excites me more that the society is going to grow to what we all hoped it would be and should be since its inception. 

I can assure you if fortunate enough to be elected your vote will be put to great use and i wont let you down.

thanks again, genuinely means a lot!

Greg