Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Well some people seem to have forgotten Hartley playing in that St. Mirren game at the beginning of the year already.

If you'd told me at half time that night that football would be cancelled indefinitely a few weeks later and I probably wouldn't get to a game for another 18 months I'd have been fucking delighted.

On 19/11/2020 at 20:57, ropy said:

So these two pop off in January and Grimmy and Bevis come back to the fore?

Don't ask why, but Gallagher/O'Donnell was in my head last night and I was curious about how Motherwell would react to those two going out of contract.

Half wondered if you'd have both until the end of the season, then lose both on a free, as neither will want to leave and spend the second half of the season on the bench etc., whereas they're virtually guaranteed a game at Motherwell. Euros might work in your favour if you want to have them the whole season.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't ask why, but Gallagher/O'Donnell was in my head last night and I was curious about how Motherwell would react to those two going out of contract.

Half wondered if you'd have both until the end of the season, then lose both on a free, as neither will want to leave and spend the second half of the season on the bench etc., whereas they're virtually guaranteed a game at Motherwell. Euros might work in your favour if you want to have them the whole season.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. 

I'd be more surprised if O'Donnell stuck around 'til the end of the season though, as it's always been clear it's a short term gig for him and I'd imagine he feels he's already missed the opportunity to move in the summer because of the 'rona so he may well cash in when he can.

I'd say it depends on what's on the table for both in January vs the potential of sticking around for another 6 months and having a good Euros - that mystery box might open some unexpected doors but equally what if they pick up an injury post-January window/pre-Tournament etc.

Edited by capt_oats

I've mentioned this on the ST. Johnstone match thread but it's probably more appropriate here.

11 players from the Scotland U-21 squad need to self-isolate and Campbell and McGuire could be affected. They have then trained with the first team squad so the whole squad could be affected and may have to isolate - the consequences could be huge for us and other clubs.

A statement...(of sorts)

Allan Campbell and Barry Maguire are required to miss our match with St Johnstone due to Covid-19 protocols.

We were informed shortly after 11am on Saturday morning by the Scottish FA that the pair are required to self-isolate, as a result of three members of the Scotland Under 21 squad testing positive for the virus.

Both Allan and Barry tested negative when they were tested by Motherwell FC on their return to Fir Park on Wednesday.

However, the Scottish FA have informed us that due to the seating arrangements on flights and buses in Greece, our players are required to isolate under trace and protect procedures.

We were first notified of the potential need to exclude Allan and Barry at 9:30pm on Friday night. They will now be obliged to isolate for 14 days.

As a result of what has happened, we will write to the Scottish FA on a number of points on which we believe urgent answers are required.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

As a result of what has happened, we will write to the Scottish FA on a number of points on which we believe urgent answers are required.

Woah - that's the Motherwell equivalent of a Rangers or Hearts 1500-word spittle-flecked rant right there. We're obviously incredulous that this could have happened and don't feel that the SFA Covid protocols are concomitant with those of a professional organisation.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

Woah - that's the Motherwell equivalent of a Rangers or Hearts 1500-word spittle-flecked rant right there. We're obviously incredulous that this could have happened and don't feel that the SFA Covid protocols are concomitant with those of a professional organisation.

We go again

3 hours ago, Swello said:

Robinson with a few digs in his post match as well.

"A similar thing happened to ourselves we get a covid positive test, we shut the club down for two days. It's detrimental to our preparation for our game against Livingston but ultimately everyone's health and going above and beyond protocols is what we've done and I hope that's been replicated in alleged elite performance environment. I would like to know the answer to that."

Happy to be corrected but was it not confirmed there was a +ve test from a u21s staff member before the game during the week?

Edited by capt_oats

The wind made it a difficult game for the players yesterday, but I thought Robbie Crawford played well on his first start. Sat in front of the back four and kept it neat and tidy. Allowed O'Hara a bit more freedom to get forward too (see our goal). 

Decent option to have in the squad and certainly no worse than Maguire. 

6 hours ago, Desp said:

The wind made it a difficult game for the players yesterday, but I thought Robbie Crawford played well on his first start. Sat in front of the back four and kept it neat and tidy. Allowed O'Hara a bit more freedom to get forward too (see our goal). 

Decent option to have in the squad and certainly no worse than Maguire. 

But he is a Livi reject so that is all that matters.

On 14/11/2020 at 14:44, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf he's dragged down by only playing half of 17/18, as minutes played are now used in conjunction with club ELO.

If I put his 16/17 season in he should be close, or in, the top 10 overall.

Sure you were all on tenterhooks waiting, but added the 16/17 season in now.

Louis Moult season 16/17 comes out as the 12th best striker in the league between 16/17-19/20.

Take out the OF, and only Liam Boyce 16/17 ranks higher.

Ojamma at Dundee in 16/17, and Wighton at Hearts 18/19, now both below White. Wighton with the perfect 0 score.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sure you were all on tenterhooks waiting, but added the 16/17 season in now.

Louis Moult season 16/17 comes out as the 12th best striker in the league between 16/17-19/20.

Take out the OF, and only Liam Boyce 16/17 ranks higher.

Ojamma at Dundee in 16/17, and Wighton at Hearts 18/19, now both below White. Wighton with the perfect 0 score.

and seeing as Ojamaa's mentioned in a Motherwell thread.