Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Clocked this from Alexander's post-match press stuff:

Ideally I'd like a centre back, a midfielder and a centre forward pls.

I'd like to think that this week will give him a chance to get his feet under the desk and have a look at the bodies he has - in fairness he pretty much said as much in his post-match.

I agree that all those positions are ones we need to strengthen, but we also desperately need some creativity out wide. Hastie was the only player who didn’t get pass marks at all for me today. Ineffectual once again. We either need to play a formation that doesn’t have wingers or sign some good ones.

Rangers; f**k it. If we got anything from it, it would be a colossal confidence boost. If we get thumped; f**k it, doesn't matter.

Who knows, a 1-0 win with a Gallagher winner could seal his dream move.

Edited by thisGRAEME

14 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Today... I dunno. Today felt better? It felt simplified, felt more direct. The whole second half was just a bad fuckin game of football and it was a shocker of a decision that cost us. 

I thought while it was obviously much better than last week, we probably weren’t as good as we were at Tannadice the week previous. 

But basically, it was a pretty fair representation of our where we are. Play well in spells, fail to take advantage of our chances when on top, before at some point inevitably shipping a soft and avoidable goal. 

We can point the finger at Bobby Madden for yesterday(it looked a nonsense decision tbf) but it’s happening far too often for it just to be a coincidence. It kind of feels like we’re using it to let ourselves off the hook for yet again failing to secure the win. When in reality, as you say, after a promising 45 mins our 2nd half performance wasn’t up to much at all. 

Yesterday was the 5th time we’ve taken the lead on this 11 game winless run and failed to see it out. By contrast on the 5 occasions we’ve went behind, we’ve lost. 

Whatever it is, Alexander will at least now have seen it first hand and hopefully have a better idea of what he needs to do to try and rectify it.

Away to Formartine Utd or Annan Athletic in the cup. Great to get a cup tie which isn’t a premiership team away from home but shite that no fans will be making what would be a great away day to either team.

4 minutes ago, dezz said:

Away to Formartine Utd or Annan Athletic in the cup. Great to get a cup tie which isn’t a premiership team away from home but shite that no fans will be making what would be a great away day to either team.

We must have been a fumbled ball away from the fabled match against Montrose, if only Chapman was doing the draw.

Has there been any rumours or, perhaps more importantly, any outgoings?

It's been said plenty of times but a decent centre half and an out-and-out striker could be the difference between going down and staying up.

Lame is absolutely rotten, that's well known. I actually don't mind Mugabi but he's a squad player at best or an extra man when we're sitting in against the better teams. As a regular, he struggles and always has at least one lapse of concentration in him. A Tom Aldred type defender would be ideal.

Equally at the other end of the park our strikers are either not good enough or not interested. Watt is probably the exception to that but if a team goes through a season with Tony Watt as their main striker then it's likely they'll finish nearer the bottom than the top. I know our budget severely restricts who we can bring in but if we were to get someone in on loan who could guarantee us say 10 or so goals before the end of the seasom, that would be ideal. I've seen Moult's name suggested and while it does seem optimistic, he's played twice for Preston this season so it might be worth at least asking the question.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Equally at the other end of the park our strikers are either not good enough or not interested. Watt is probably the exception to that but if a team goes through a season with Tony Watt as their main striker then it's likely they'll finish nearer the bottom than the top. I know our budget severely restricts who we can bring in but if we were to get someone in on loan who could guarantee us say 10 or so goals before the end of the seasom, that would be ideal. I've seen Moult's name suggested and while it does seem optimistic, he's played twice for Preston this season so it might be worth at least asking the question.

Many laughed at me when I told how we had enquired in the summer, as far as I’m aware the deal failed as he wouldn’t be anywhere near up to speed as well as Long and Lang signing. It would be excellent for Moult to kickstart his career again for 6 months, would be ideal for both teams. 

27 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've seen Moult's name suggested and while it does seem optimistic, he's played twice for Preston this season so it might be worth at least asking the question.

Those appearances were actually last season, Moult hasn’t kicked a ball since August 2019. 

As much as I loved the guy, he’s approaching 29 shortly and has been out now for the best part of 18 months. Unfortunately, it’s hard to see him coming back from such an injury and being anything like the same player he was. 

Anyway, I’m sure part of the reason Alexander got the job would be his knowledge of the market down south. Hopefully he can pull a few ready made signings out the bag in the short term, cause as you say we badly need reinforcements at both ends of the park. 

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Anyway, I’m sure part of the reason Alexander got the job would be his knowledge of the market down south. Hopefully he can pull a few ready made signings out the bag in the short term, cause as you say we badly need reinforcements at both ends of the park. 

Alexander seems to have gone for the "clean slate/show me what you can do in training" approach, which is fine and probably preferable for general morale than coming in and telling everyone they're shite.

There seemed to be the suggestion that he'd be using this week to assess the squad and sit down with a few players to see what their plans are.

I suppose what was interesting about yesterday was that we only used two subs (same as last week) and there were players on the bench who were once again unused - Crawford (whose loan is up in a week or so), Seedorf and McGinley.

Given where we are I'd have thought that movement in and out would be essential.

As much as I was a fan of Robinson I'm actually quite interested to see what Alexander's approach is with recruitment. I mean, I think most of us would be happy never to hear the phrase "he's a forward who can play anywhere across the front three" again.

I'll not lie, I've genuinely no idea how Alexander's previous teams set up or if he has any sort of preference of style. I did however notice that he signed Jamille Matt for Fleetwood (we were linked with him at one point) and also took Ivan Toney on loan from Newcastle when he was at Scunthorpe.

Edited by capt_oats

This guy fits the bill of someone we’d take, not the best scoring record had promise in his younger years, we give him a platform to perform. And ex Salford with GA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Dieseruvwe

Youtube clips means nothing but the goals I’ve seen there fill me with more confidence than Jordan white put it that way.

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Alexander seems to have gone for the "clean slate/show me what you can do in training" approach, which is fine and probably preferable for general morale than coming in and telling everyone they're shite.

There seemed to be the suggestion that he'd be using this week to assess the squad and sit down with a few players to see what their plans are.

I suppose what was interesting about yesterday was that we only used two subs (same as last week) and there were players on the bench who were once again unused - Crawford (whose loan is up in a week or so), Seedorf and McGinley.

Given where we are I'd have thought that movement in and out would be essential.

As much as I was a fan of Robinson I'm actually quite interested to see what Alexander's approach is with recruitment. I mean, I think most of us would be happy never to hear the phrase "he's a forward who can play anywhere across the front three" again.

I'll not lie, I've genuinely no idea how Alexander's previous teams set up or if he has any sort of preference of style. I did however notice that he signed Jamille Matt for Fleetwood (we were linked with him at one point) and also took Ivan Toney on loan from Newcastle when he was at Scunthorpe.

Things looked a bit more simple yesterday. I don't think anyone expected anything massive after exactly one training session. I completely understand him giving everyone a clean slate (apart from Chapman, obvz). I suspect it's probably a case of assessing what we've got and sorting out what we need. 

Honestly if he can make us more like the hammer throwers of old I'm all for it. It was a performance typical of the season, really. Play well, maybe score, give away a stupid goal. We could do with more b*****ds in the team.  

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

Slightly frustrating to see a team like livi take players like Alan Forrest and them to go and play so well when we seem to pick up players like Jordan white. Forrest is a nice tidy player and someone we should’ve definitely been looking at.

To be fair we've signed guys like Gregg Wylde, Stokes etc who've been shite too. 

Large reason our recruitment seems so good is that we're doing stats based recruitment to find like for like replacements. I'd imagine Stevie Lawless and Forrest had somewhat similar profiles in terms of output. Same goes for Gallagher/Halkett replaced by Guthrie.

Lamie showed up as horrifically out of his depth at this level which is why I don't even think we tried to renew his contract

Edited by ATLIS