Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

A good appraisal from Alexander in The Record.

I notice Robinson's been piping up in the press as well. It seems he'd considered chucking it after the Rangers game.

Also interesting to see his framing of the NI job which in fairness was his position at the time. (I'm on a don't link to The Sun bit but that's where this is from)

Last summer he was also short-listed for the Northern Ireland job.

It would’ve been the optimum time for ex-Spurs, Bournemouth, Luton Town, Preston and seven-times capped Robinson to go after peaking at Fir Park.

But he said: “The fact is there was nothing else for me.

“I went for an interview at the Irish FA. But I didn’t think it was the right thing at the right time.

“Besides, I still had a job to do at Motherwell. I was happy also.

“At that time we also had European football ahead of us which was exciting for everyone.

“So, there was plenty to look forward to.

“But as the season went on I began to realise it might be time for me to go and for the club to go in a different direction.

“I’d also been there the best part of six years.

“You can’t continue to rebuild squads all the time and be successful, it’s physically impossible."

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

FaceApp_1610184194336.jpg

Someone needs to reboot the "Scottish managers as women" thread IMO.

Martindale would be astonishingly hideous.

Robbo definitely sounds like he had went to the board and asked for funds to fix the mess and they weren't forthcoming which, tbh is probably fair enough considering what he's brought to the club in the last 2 years by and large.

On a somewhat linked note, the Terrace Patreon has a 3 parter on Robbo and his tenure where they go through a kinda what happened, a best of and a worst of. Well worth a listen.

BBC Gossip has Robinson citing the six point deduction as the key factor in his resignation.  The article refers to a frustration at the indecision but nothing more.  I thought that the BBC reported the twisted headlines but in this they are doing the twisting.

BBC Gossip has Robinson citing the six point deduction as the key factor in his resignation.  The article refers to a frustration at the indecision but nothing more.  I thought that the BBC reported the twisted headlines but in this they are doing the twisting.
How could anyone resign based on being handed 6 points for nothing then have those put on the back burner pending appeal when chances are they will be ratified. As resignation reasons go that's a bonkers one !

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

How could anyone resign based on being handed 6 points for nothing then have those put on the back burner pending appeal when chances are they will be ratified. As resignation reasons go that's a bonkers one !

Yet the BBC decided to pretend that it was a reason.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Robbo definitely sounds like he had went to the board and asked for funds to fix the mess and they weren't forthcoming which, tbh is probably fair enough considering what he's brought to the club in the last 2 years by and large.

On a somewhat linked note, the Terrace Patreon has a 3 parter on Robbo and his tenure where they go through a kinda what happened, a best of and a worst of. Well worth a listen.

The 3 Patreons are great. Definitely worth everyone's time.

Was there not a story that we supposedly had 2 players lined up to come in on the Saturday but Robinson chucked it on the Wednesday night/Thursday morning?

The bit that caught my eye in McGowan's interview in The Mail was about 3rd being our ceiling (fair comment) and him wanting the training ground and infrastructure improved (again, we knew about that but global pandemic m8)

'I just thought the time was right for me personally to go. I didn't believe I could take the club any further. There was frustration in there which were nobody's fault. I was desperate for a new training ground. I was desperate for infrastructure to improve, but there isn't a magic wand. Without money that's very difficult to do. 

'Allan and Jim were behind the idea but it didn't quite materialise and I felt I couldn't take the club to the next level. I felt the club had reached the ceiling of where we could go to. Personally I don't believe Motherwell will finish any higher than third.

'A top six finish and a cup run is what the club should be aiming for and arguably we over-achieved by reaching two cup finals and the third place finish. When you are bringing in £6million for the sale of young players and not spending any transfer fees when you sell them on it's very difficult to replicate time and again.'

'The right time to go would have been the summer probably. I'm the type of person where I don't let anybody do anything. I try to do absolutely everything myself and you do run out of steam sometimes.

'I was drained in terms of trying to push and push and push. When you are in management for five or six years at one place you become drained. It was the most difficult season I'd been involved in. You didn't know where you were going to train. You didn't know when you were going to get a day off. In terms of preparation Covid made the job even harder.

29 minutes ago, ropy said:

That's from the headline for McGowan's piece in the Mail.

_116406280_mail.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

49 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

As a take, thats up there with twisting the reality as much as any rag headline could be.

Do you not think, coming up to a transfer window when budgets are tight for every club, and 6 points is the difference between 5th and 10th, it would be excruciatingly frustrating to not know for definite which of those situations you are in, and therefore make planning your approach to the window almost impossible?

It's nothing to do with being annoyed at not having being given points for nothing, it's about no-one just making a decision one way or another so he knows what he needs to do, and has time left to do it. Any manager of any club would be left thinking "f**k this", when they are already in a position where they are struggling.

5 league places hugely determines whats needed in a transfer window and the associated costs. Just tell him what the outcome is so he knows what he's trying to fix.

That's from the headline for McGowan's piece in the Mail.
_116406280_mail.jpg&key=288cf587965f1fbc2717ceb0d23fc11db0d392e681722f23a6e45bc22bf195fb

Cheers, it was good fun recording them. The last one, where we got to reminisce about the talents of Zak Jules and the gang, being particularly enjoyable.

I’m sure it was Chick Young who mentioned prior to the Killie game that we had 2 players due to be announced on the Saturday, but I’m assuming that was all scrapped with Robbo handing in his notice the next morning.

32 minutes ago, dezz said:

Cheers, it was good fun recording them. The last one, where we got to reminisce about the talents of Zak Jules and the gang, being particularly enjoyable.

I’m sure it was Chick Young who mentioned prior to the Killie game that we had 2 players due to be announced on the Saturday, but I’m assuming that was all scrapped with Robbo handing in his notice the next morning.

Aye, they were really enjoyable listens. Good work.

re: the 2 new signings, it absolutely makes sense if they were binned with Robinson walking but assuming they did actually exist it also kind of lessens any suggestion that the board wouldn't have given Robinson a bit of backing in the window.

Tbh, from everything I've read from him since it just sounds like he was scunnered and didn't really have the energy for it any more - whilst also realising that the longer the poor run went on the more his stock would drop.

Edited by capt_oats

I still don’t get the handing us 6 points then taking them back. 

Either state we will get the 6 points pending any appeal. Or give us the 6 points and only remove them if the decision is reversed or appeal successful. It beggars belief and I am utterly convinced the decision will be changed. 

At the time I felt replaying the games would be a fair outcome but any faith I had in the SPFL hierarchy (which to be fair is minuscule) has altogether disappeared. 

As to why Robbo left I think it is fair to accept that when you sell your best players and best young players and get given precious little money to replace them.  That makes the task of making Motherwell competitive each and every year impossible. He is not blameless but this season reminds me of when DDee United sold 3 or 4 of their best players for £6M + but were relegated that season or the very next one.

If we do lose Campbell or Gallacher this window then any proceeds must go back into Rebuilding and reshaping the squad. 

I think @capt_oats is right - I think it basically comes down to Robbo being generally scunnered - and that will be the result of a combination of things (likely including being fucked about with the 6 points). I think 

I think shelf life is definitely a thing in our league where for middling clubs, there is clearly a ceiling on what can be achieved (and doing it repeatedly is incredibly difficult) - it feels like 3 seasons is the point where it begins to kick in. The only manager that defied the shelf life thing in my time watching us was Tommy McClean but that was an era where player turnover was massively lower and long term team building was still a thing for a club of our size (and even then, plenty wanted him out at points between the cup win and the next good team being built).