Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

By doing so they've freed both clubs up on separate midweeks where Motherwell don't have a game, and therefore both games can now be played on these dates rather than just one of them being played on the Scottish Cup weekend.

There are tons of free midweeks before the split anyway (and potentially Scottish Cup R4 Saturday too) so it's not really a big deal.

Not really the point though. Motherwell should not be punished for killie and st mirren’s indiscretions. We shouldn’t be made to play sat - wed - sat (twice) when there was a perfectly good Saturday going free were 2 out of the 3 games could have been played. Bringing forward games that were already scheduled is just strange.

10 hours ago, steelmen said:

Not really the point though. Motherwell should not be punished for killie and st mirren’s indiscretions. We shouldn’t be made to play sat - wed - sat (twice) when there was a perfectly good Saturday going free were 2 out of the 3 games could have been played. Bringing forward games that were already scheduled is just strange.

I dunno, I see where you're coming from, but I've been looking at the postponements the same as a frozen pitch. If you've done whatever you can to get the game on, and can't, then I guess fine? It's weather/it's an infectious virus.

IMO, I presume every club, just as every person, in the country, will have broken 'protocols' at one point or another. St. Mirren and Killie ended up with infections as they were unlucky/daft.

That it's taken so long to resolve has made it slightly more of an issue, but we've been hot garbage for a year, so I'm not sure what we've really lost. Had we played them at the time would we have won? Probably not. If we play them in a month have we got a better chance? If we don't then January has gone badly and playing more games is probably the least of our concerns. 

It's a matter of mentality for me now. It's not like we've been docked points, they're still there for us to get, so let's fuckin get them.

When the original fixtures were scheduled we had just been pumped off rangers and were about to embark on what appeared at the time to be 4 winnable games to kick on.

St Mirren were without league win in 7 and Killie were still stuttering along much like ourselves.

We went on to win the 2 matches where teams could field players 4-0 and 2-0.

Since then we haven't won a game.

Killie have improved and by a much greater extent St Mirren have too so now not only are we likely to be facing full strength teams as opposed to them having players out under the protocol but we're also going to be facing teams who have turned the corner and are now likely to be comfortably better than us*

Whilst awarding the games 3 0 to us was unfair on the other teams around about us, us now having to squeeze in extra GAMES > THREE MONTHS LATER without gaining any advantage seems unfair on us through no fault of our own.

It's a moot point now but there should have been agreements at the start of the season for being found guilty of breaching protocol resulting in being unable to field a team ranging from a fine (the one handed out on appeal is laughable) or a points deduction based on the severity of the breach. In this instance, Killie's appears to have been less agregous than St Mirren so how they end up with the same penalty is beyond me. It would also make sense to me to apply a suspension to players who tested positive to miss out on the reschedules fixture as they would have had the original taken place.

Whatever way you cut it it's a shambolic situation that shows the league and thereby the clubs have proved themselves incompetent again.

*Alexander impact pending

42 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I dunno, I see where you're coming from, but I've been looking at the postponements the same as a frozen pitch. If you've done whatever you can to get the game on, and can't, then I guess fine? It's weather/it's an infectious virus.

IMO, I presume every club, just as every person, in the country, will have broken 'protocols' at one point or another. St. Mirren and Killie ended up with infections as they were unlucky/daft.

That it's taken so long to resolve has made it slightly more of an issue, but we've been hot garbage for a year, so I'm not sure what we've really lost. Had we played them at the time would we have won? Probably not. If we play them in a month have we got a better chance? If we don't then January has gone badly and playing more games is probably the least of our concerns. 

It's a matter of mentality for me now. It's not like we've been docked points, they're still there for us to get, so let's fuckin get them.

I broadly agree though less so about St Mirren being unlucky with their dose of the 'rona - they fucked it.

Killie had a stronger argument but St Mirren were at it.

It's an unanswerable question as to whether we'd have won the games at the time but hot garbage or not it's the one point in the season where our form was actually alright.

1628576243_ScreenShot2021-01-16at09_57_09.thumb.png.f5960673a1807b85bdb770b8b5aaa4ae.png

Compared to St Mirren around the same period.

201225523_ScreenShot2021-01-16at09_58_37.thumb.png.15aca9f4738b98735448be215fedf1ab.png

Killie's form was far better but as I say, it's an unanswerable question. Would we have won? Possibly. Would we have lost? Possibly.

1405976346_ScreenShot2021-01-16at10_03_20.png.8489849c0415d1af587cb03dbc4a0a41.png

Strongly agree that it's about mentality and getting back to being good at the fitba' if we win the games then it goes some way to sorting ourselves out.

Edited by capt_oats

Didn’t quite believe it when I seen daft rumours flying about regards to Adam Rooney but seems like he could be possibly one of the next ones through the door. Not overly exciting but one that could be a decent bit of business if he comes in and scores close to or more than 10 goals towards the end of the season and gets players like Watt scoring and not just performing. 

I'm still wildly sceptical about the Rooney thing largely because the tweet I saw mentioning it seemed to be coming from an absolute Walter Mitty character.

But to play the game...

We've been crying out for an actual striker rather than another forward who can play across the front three. If nothing else he's an experienced #9, albeit an ageing one.

Do I think a 32 year old Adam Rooney would have contributed more to us this season than Chris Long and Jordan White combined?

giphy.gif

Ultimately he's still been scoring fairly regularly at a level we've oftentimes recruited from.

240969831_ScreenShot2021-01-16at14_58_24.png.da4c97e7468acad78981e1863d4fa72b.png

Spoiler

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'm still wildly sceptical about the Rooney thing largely because the tweet I saw mentioning it seemed to be coming from an absolute Walter Mitty character.

But to play the game...

We've been crying out for an actual striker rather than another forward who can play across the front three. If nothing else he's an experienced #9, albeit an ageing one.

Do I think a 32 year old Adam Rooney would have contributed more to us this season than Chris Long and Jordan White combined?

giphy.gif

Ultimately he's still been scoring fairly regularly at a level we've oftentimes recruited from.

240969831_ScreenShot2021-01-16at14_58_24.png.da4c97e7468acad78981e1863d4fa72b.png

Hide contents

No I totally thought it was rumours and seen that tweet myself and was pretty dubious about however I asked the question and it seems it could be a done deal at this time of speaking.

Edited by supermarv

Looks like we are heading to the bottom of the table today albeit with 2 or 3 games in hand. 

Killie and St Mirren losing at least keeps them in the mix for now. 

Glad we are not playing the top of the table runaway team tomorrow 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I've always said that expanding the league is something that should be given serious consideration.

Always thought Hylton was the best winger we had at the club this summer too but he didn’t even get a chance... Albeit not amazing but he could create, doing well for County.

Edited by supermarv