Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The new documentary piece is a decent watch. I am really encouraged to see that Alexander and his family are moving up here. It might sound a trivial matter but players and managers personal lives can often cause issues when they are in temporary accommodation and commuting X amount of hours back and forth. Hopefully this is an indication that he is looking to build something long term.

I've read bits and pieces on Alexander but I'm still not really clear what his style of play is, or if he has one. There has been threads all the way from negative defensive football to 442 in your face attack but losing a lot of goals. Ofcourse, both could be true but as with all coaches I'm sure he has some methodology that he sticks to.

I don't see much truth in the Rooney stuff. No harm to the guy but he pretty much declared himself a mercenary striker when he moved from Aberdeen to Salford. The notion that we would be able to afford whatever he is getting just now seems unrealistic. I doubt Adam Rooney is at Sollihull Moors for anything other than the money.

Edited by Luke92

On the Lawless rumour. 

I would be absolutely fine with this. For starters he would be compared with existing wingers / midfielders. You could in theory send Crawford back to Livi after his loan period and have Lawless. That would be a clear step up. 

He was one of Livi’s better players last season and chipped in with 11 goals. Our top scorer as of today has 3 ! 

Also I think we need to start filling our team with players that will give 100% each and every game. Any time I saw Lawless last season he was doing just that. 

18 minutes ago, welldaft said:

On the Lawless rumour. 

I would be absolutely fine with this. For starters he would be compared with existing wingers / midfielders. You could in theory send Crawford back to Livi after his loan period and have Lawless. That would be a clear step up. 

He was one of Livi’s better players last season and chipped in with 11 goals. Our top scorer as of today has 3 ! 

Also I think we need to start filling our team with players that will give 100% each and every game. Any time I saw Lawless last season he was doing just that. 

Sorry, you'll need to show your working on this one.

Lawless is a winger/wing-back, Crawford is a holding mid/centre mid. Lawless is a Burton Albion player, Crawford's at Livi. I'm not sure where Lawless signing intersects with Crawford on that particular venn diagram.

Also Lawless apparently scored 11 in all competitions, our top scorer (in all competitions) is on 6 - which, don't get me wrong, isn't anything to crow about but like for like and all that with comparisons. He scored 8 in the league, our top scorer(s) are on 3 in that respect - fair comment for sure.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sorry, you'll need to show your working on this one.

Lawless is a winger/wing-back, Crawford is a holding mid/centre mid. Lawless is a Burton Albion player, Crawford's at Livi. I'm not sure where Lawless signing intersects with Crawford on that particular venn diagram.

Also Lawless apparently scored 11 in all competitions, our top scorer (in all competitions) is on 6 - which, don't get me wrong, isn't anything to crow about but like for like and all that with comparisons. He scored 8 in the league, our top scorer(s) are on 3 in that respect - fair comment for sure.

I don’t mind Capt.

I am aware they don’t play the same positions and technically a winger is considered a forward. I consider him more as a left sided midfielder. 

My point is I believe Crawfords loan is up this window ? So to have him leave and Lawless come in would be a good bit of business. And net effect is we have not added to our squad in terms of overall numbers. 

I stick with my goals point. 11 from midfield / winger is a decent return across all competitions. 

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I don’t mind Capt.

I am aware they don’t play the same positions and technically a winger is considered a forward. I consider him more as a left sided midfielder. 

My point is I believe Crawfords loan is up this window ? So to have him leave and Lawless come in would be a good bit of business. And net effect is we have not added to our squad in terms of overall numbers. 

I stick with my goals point. 11 from midfield / winger is a decent return across all competitions. 

Cheers, it'd still leave us short of a body in the centre of midfield like.

I suppose it's worth remembering that we're already a body down from the first half of the season with Lang having been recalled.

54 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

The new documentary piece is a decent watch. I am really encouraged to see that Alexander and his family are moving up here. It might sound a trivial matter but players and managers personal lives can often cause issues when they are in temporary accommodation and commuting X amount of hours back and forth. Hopefully this is an indication that he is looking to build something long term.

I noticed that as well. Him talking about committing to the job seemed like a v.positive thing.

Tbh, my unexpected takeaway from the episode - aside from all the manager stuff and it being clear that the "Lasley to get 4 games to prove himself" was absolute nonsense from the start - was Charlie Dunne on the pitch, kicking a baw. That was nice to see.

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

It’s the end of next season.

I think he’ll do a job this season and next season he’ll definitely be a better option off the bench than we’ve had this season.

Cheers...I thought it was a really fucking weird deal if it was just til the end of this season. That'll teach me just to skim.

12 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Before anyone gets too excited about his goal return, 7 of them were penalties.

Oh sh1t. We don’t get penalties.....

Ah well. I still think he is a grafter and puts in a good shift every game. 

I think a good addition for the next season and a half. 

TBH, this might not be the signing that lifts the whole place - but based on what I've seen of Lawless both at Thistle and Livi over a sustained period, he's a decent & reliable player at our level and at the moment, I think we could do with a bit of that as we clearly have a number of players in the squad that are far from reliable. Quite content.

I'm in the - it's not exciting but probably fairly sensible camp.

It's hard enough to get people here at the best of times, so I think we have to be realistic as to what we can do in the current climate. Lawless knows the club, the league and half our squad so will settle quickly. He's a proven decent mid-table player at this level, with over 200 appearances and 50 goal/assist contributions. 

Mind Barraclough's first signing of the window was Tony Straker on loan from York City? This seems like a far more shrewd bit of business as a first signing.