Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Paneer is considerably improved by the addition of spinach, which is not a great vote of confidence in my book.

I am struggling here, I don’t like spinach.  I am happy with a chickpea or channa dish if a meat substitute is required.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW, in terms of your underlying numbers this season, you're relegation battlers.

xG only higher than DU, Hamilton, County. xGc the same. 

Only Celtic/County worse for how "good" the average chance you give away, only DU/County worse for average chance you create.

You're, technically, exactly where you should be in the league, if you look at your basic numbers.

Of course we are. The basic numbers are number of games won, drawn and lost and the points accumulated. 

xG, xGc and the likes can get in the fucking sea. A lot of pish. 

Agree with @Mitch in that paneer is very much not for me, although I do know he's a lover of the Peshwari naan like all good gentlemen. 

32 minutes ago, Desp said:

Of course we are. The basic numbers are number of games won, drawn and lost and the points accumulated. 

xG, xGc and the likes can get in the fucking sea. A lot of pish. 

Best not tell you Polworths xA figures then...

You don't need anything with a lower case x to tell us where we are - we don't score enough and we give away soft goals and we are in no way in a false position.

I think the only pleasant surprise is that as bad as we've been, there are only 5 points covering the bottom 6 and so we aren't adrift in any way as we could easily have been in another season. 

Paneer - as a consideration to the other people that need to share a house with me, I've never thought the consequences of eating curried cheese was a nice thing to inflict on them.

We are where we are because we're pish. Fortunately there's 2 or 3 others who are a similar level of pish. We concede too many soft goals, our midfield has zero creativity and we don't score enough.

I love Indian food but have never had paneer. Might give it a try the next time I get an Indian. I enjoy a good lamb rogan josh in case anyone is interested.

I went for a curry with my future son in law, I said we would get poppadoms and spiced onions to start us off, he looked blankly at me, didn’t know what they were, he is from the south of England - I didn’t realise the lack of culture down there.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'd be quite interested to know what the difference is in terms of Polworth's numbers are between this season and last. There must be a significant drop off? Surely?

I'm bored, so heres all 3 of the CMs who played regularly last season and this, all 3 to try and give context to Polworths numbers. Only used solid, quantifiable, metrics (no "expected" ones) to try and see if Polworth was doing anything differently this season on paper. 

Blue numbers are last season, amber numbers this season...

Polworth.png.6a6fb3776b0e117a5e4915ed7bcb69bc.png

I went for a curry with my future son in law, I said we would get poppadoms and spiced onions to start us off, he looked blankly at me, didn’t know what they were, he is from the south of England - I didn’t realise the lack of culture down there.

Valid grounds to reconsider allowing him to join your family imho.

Uncultured swine.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm bored, so heres all 3 of the CMs who played regularly last season and this, all 3 to try and give context to Polworths numbers. Only used solid, quantifiable, metrics (no "expected" ones) to try and see if Polworth was doing anything differently this season on paper. 

Blue numbers are last season, amber numbers this season...

Polworth.png.6a6fb3776b0e117a5e4915ed7bcb69bc.png

Thanks RG.

I'd guess O'Hara's numbers this season are skewed a bit on account of him playing at centre back a fair bit?

The passes into final third and through passes per 90 seem in line with what we've been watching. It feels like the poor form of our various wide players means he's lost a big part of his game from last season which was sliding shroo balls to wingers.

Like this:

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd guess O'Hara's numbers this season are skewed a bit on account of him playing at centre back a fair bit?

His passing numbers are higher as a CB than a CM so that would account for passing numbers rising if he's playing there more this season, presumably the others are affected the same way, but would have to go through them all to check before saying yes or no.

FWIW Donnelly recorded the most "ball recoveries" in the league for CMs last season (14.39 p90), and it looks like the rest of the midfield this season have had to try and pick up the slack with him missing (Campbell/Polworth numbers are up), again probably something that's obvious to fans watching every week, but getting someone in to fill that gap maybe key to getting Polworth playing well again.

21 minutes ago, Swello said:

You don't need anything with a lower case x to tell us where we are - we don't score enough and we give away soft goals and we are in no way in a false position.

I think the only pleasant surprise is that as bad as we've been, there are only 5 points covering the bottom 6 and so we aren't adrift in any way as we could easily have been in another season.

We may not improve and end up in 11th or 12th position but in line with what Swello says we have been largely poor for 3 months. 

Nothing we have seen last few weeks has been a surprise. We have a new Manager and a few new players. Again neither may help although we are praying that they do.

Every now and then you have one team (like Hibs) whose form falls away in the final quarter. Again it may still be us but equally it could be St Mirren or St Johnstone or Killie. 

I would also fancy us to survive a 2 legged play off but hope it does not come to that. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

His passing numbers are higher as a CB than a CM so that would account for passing numbers rising if he's playing there more this season, presumably the others are affected the same way, but would have to go through them all to check before saying yes or no.

FWIW Donnelly recorded the most "ball recoveries" in the league for CMs last season (14.39 p90), and it looks like the rest of the midfield this season have had to try and pick up the slack with him missing (Campbell/Polworth numbers are up), again probably something that's obvious to fans watching every week, but getting someone in to fill that gap maybe key to getting Polworth playing well again.

That's genuinely quite surprising re: Donnelly (in the sense it's surprising he had the most in the league, not that it's something he did quite well).

Again, it makes sense in so much as O'Hara was filling in for him and he's just not a holding mid - I think the general feeling has been that O'Hara's looked far better value as a CB than a midfielder.

Ultimately I defer to @well fan for life:

On 16/01/2021 at 21:27, well fan for life said:

If you'd told me 18 months ago that Liam Donnelly would be the absolute lynchpin of our entire midfield I'd have pointed and laughed at you. 

But here we are.

*insert wait, what? gif here*

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's genuinely quite surprising re: Donnelly (in the sense it's surprising he had the most in the league, not that it's something he did quite well).

Donnolly.png.109c9d7df8bde7b7e5e7482ddc30363e.png

Aye. Liam Craig missing from 4th in that list on 13.4 because I've 2 versions of him due to having a St Johnstone only section, but thats the top 5 plus O'Hara from last season.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Worked in the London office for a bit and nobody down there understood the concept of a Morton's roll apart from the guy who grew up in EK.

Poor b*****ds. Imagine having none of the finer things in life as well as your tap water being pish.

3 hours ago, Bigaldo said:

Without trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist, that's 3 weeks in a row the referee has screwed us. St Mirren never a penalty, The Rangers were offside and yesterday we should have clearly had a penalty. Or is it just the usual utter shite standard of scottish refs.

As I said yesterday, if you’d got that penalty yesterday, you wouldn’t have lost 2-0

youd have lost 2-1

Actually, 3-1, as the was feck all wrong with Big Ash’s goal

5 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

As I said yesterday, if you’d got that penalty yesterday, you wouldn’t have lost 2-0

youd have lost 2-1

Actually, 3-1, as the was feck all wrong with Big Ash’s goal

I agreed with you on Ash at the time, but Sportscene showed the push.