Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Whilst we are waiting for some signings news. Foley and Izzy perhaps.

I was pondering this Gov loan that is being made available to top flight clubs. 

A godsend for the likes of United and Killie who seem to faring worse due to Covid. 

A £1.6m interest free loan to be repaid over 20 years. Why would you not take that up ? We appear to be in rude health due to Scott and Turnbull transfer fee + Europe etc. But we are apparently one of the only top flight side without our own training facilities. Robinson banged on about this for a while. 

I am sure to build your own inc ground, pitch, staff and maintenance would be more than £1.6m but it would be a opportunity to good to miss. Pay back £80k PA. 

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

A godsend for the likes of United and Killie who seem to faring worse due to Covid. 

A £1.6m interest free loan to be repaid over 20 years. Why would you not take that up ? We appear to be in rude health due to Scott and Turnbull transfer fee + Europe etc. But we are apparently one of the only top flight side without our own training facilities. Robinson banged on about this for a while. 

I am sure to build your own inc ground, pitch, staff and maintenance would be more than £1.6m but it would be a opportunity to good to miss. Pay back £80k PA. 

I'm no financial expert but I'd suggest there's more to getting this loan than simply "hit this button for phreeeeeeee moneyyyyyyyy". Like if it's to cover operating costs to keep folk in a job, fine. If you take £1.6 million and the following day you're breaking ground on your new training facility it's probably a bad look. 

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Just now, well fan for life said:

I'm no financial expert but I'd suggest there's more to getting this loan than simply "hit this button for phreeeeeeee moneyyyyyyyy". Like if it's to cover operating costs to keep folk in a job, fine. If you take £1.6 million and the following day you're breaking ground on your new training facility it's probably a bad look. 

It depends on whether the club/board want to hold debt (regardless of whether it's interest free with favourable repayment terms). Given how long they've spent trying to pay off Boyle and Hutchison I'm not sure they do.

Tbh, going by the accounts we had a fairly healthy cash at bank figure on 31st May and went on to sell Turnbull in August so without knowing that figure exactly you'd think that the club is being truthful in saying that "the club remains in a strong position" (given the accounts were clearly prepared and submitted recently as they reference Robinson's resignation and Alexander's appointment).

IMO, you take the money bank it and if you need it to cover cashflow over the summer then great, dip into it then re-assess at the point when you're due to start repayments either hand back a lump sum less what you've used or keep hold of it and use it as capital and meet the repayment schedule.

Alternatively we take the £1.6m and buy 3 players for £500k each and watch the meltdown ensue. 

The money would be for clubs in financial crisis. I suspect there may be pre conditions in terms of evidencing hardship before funds released. If not there should be. 

So I 100% accept taking this loan and then spending £2m+ on our training facility would not be a good look.

From purely a business opportunity it really is too good to knock back. 

Whose to say Kilmarnock don’t take the £1m then trump us or any other team for a player by offering better wages this summer. Would that be any different. 

36 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Alternatively we take the £1.6m and buy 3 players for £500k each and watch the meltdown ensue. 

The money would be for clubs in financial crisis. I suspect there may be pre conditions in terms of evidencing hardship before funds released. If not there should be. 

So I 100% accept taking this loan and then spending £2m+ on our training facility would not be a good look.

From purely a business opportunity it really is too good to knock back. 

Whose to say Kilmarnock don’t take the £1m then trump us or any other team for a player by offering better wages this summer. Would that be any different. 

Led to believe that the application process will be managed by one of the big banks (Close Bros)  so I would imagine  that there will be conditions attached before being approved. At the very least a set of up to date management accounts.

Edited by santheman

2 minutes ago, santheman said:

Led to believe that the application process will be managed by one of the big banks (Close Bros)  so I would imagine  that there will be conditions attached before being approved. At the very least a set of up to date management accounts.

Like a mortgage, the ability to repay will need to be demonstrated.

I see the St Johnstone game has been moved From April to February. I'm interested in the approach that we'll be playing all the games that month.

It's basically going to be like a pre-winter shutdown December (but with no rest at the end of it)

Edited by Swello

23 hours ago, Lex said:

Never thought I’d see Motherwell sign a 34 year old who can’t get a game for us, but here we are.

I am also ragin we're so bad we're signing diddy reserves