Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Unfortunately the way Cadden has been playing so far I wouldn't be surprised if there was some interest in him. He'd be a massive loss, obviously.

No matter what happens, Blyth never really counted towards overall squad numbers - even if we were to bin someone like Bowman and get another in, numbers wise it's a like for like replacements. We're still pretty thin on the ground up top so even if there's no movement, I can see a loanee being brought in. I suppose it also depends how much they see the likes of Newell being used?

10 hours ago, one m in Motherwell said:
Unfortunately the way Cadden has been playing so far I wouldn't be surprised if there was some interest in him. He'd be a massive loss, obviously.

No matter what happens, Blyth never really counted towards overall squad numbers - even if we were to bin someone like Bowman and get another in, numbers wise it's a like for like replacements. We're still pretty thin on the ground up top so even if there's no movement, I can see a loanee being brought in. I suppose it also depends how much they see the likes of Newell being used?

With you mentioning a loan it's worth noting that Robinson discussed that eventuality way back at the start of the summer. Essentially saying that his plan was to hold some budget back on the off chance that a loan option came up later in the window.

Though Blyth didn't contribute to numbers on the field he's a partial wage freed up. I'd imagine there was some sort of settlement but it'd have been mutually beneficial. Robinson's been consistent in talking about another, different striker but needing to move someone out; Moult's still here and was top scorer, Fisher and Newell are both new signings which leaves the bold Herbalife looking like the expendable one. Even more so if Tanner's to be used as a second striker.

There's an aspect of me trying to convince myself but with us having apparently been close to getting Ciftci in January and him still sitting counting his money at Parkhead then if we were (realistically) looking at bringing him in on loan with Moult, McDonald, Bowman and Blyth (injured) all on the books I don't see that a similar deal would be prohibitive with our current numbers. The only obvious flaw is Robinson putting a premium on "character" and well...that's hardly Ciftci's defining quality. It seems unlikely but all the same I think Ciftci would have a lovely old time in this Motherwell side.

Weirdly I'm pretty relaxed about Cadden as he seems to have his head screwed on enough that he'll move to a good club and I can see us making proper money off him. Between him, his dad and the club I think they've got the next step in his career planned out so him moving and when he moves doesn't seem like it'll be too much of a surprise.Also, though he'd clearly be a massive loss there's a ready made replacement for him at the club in Ross MacLean. It'd be nice to get a season from Cadden at Fir Park where he gets a consistent run of form though.

Edit to add: That's Robinson saying that it's likely that we'll be adding to the squad before the end of the window in his pre-match interview there and looking weirdly confident about it.

Also edited to add: That's Dunne's red card been appealed. http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1986&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=17125

Edited by capt_oats

57 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'm staggered that we've appealed that red card. It's a blatant barge on the boy stop him tapping into an empty net.

That ticks every box for a red card, surely?

I can only imagine that there's a feeling that we've got latitude in terms of a "triple punishment" argument and that while there was obvious contact Dunne was making an "honest" attempt to play the ball so a yellow would have sufficed.

I'd be amazed if our appeal is successful tbh and I'm not sure it's even worth the effort of the process.

I felt very strongly it wasn't a red card and still standby that as well, I applaud the club for appealing the decision, Robinson said he can see why its a penalty but is never a red card offence. Referee put it down as denying a goal scoring opportunity, well as the county player was never getting to the ball anyway then I think Dunne has a chance of getting this overturned.

6 hours ago, Desp said:

I'm staggered that we've appealed that red card. It's a blatant barge on the boy stop him tapping into an empty net.

That ticks every box for a r1ed card, surely?

Ach, ye don't ask ye don't get

2 hours ago, Del_Superwell said:

I felt very strongly it wasn't a red card and still standby that as well, I applaud the club for appealing the decision, Robinson said he can see why its a penalty but is never a red card offence. Referee put it down as denying a goal scoring opportunity, well as the county player was never getting to the ball anyway then I think Dunne has a chance of getting this overturned.

Can I ask you to post a video of the incident you are looking at? I've seen you say this on two forums now and I am not sure you have saw the correct replay.

Welcome to Perth tomorrow afternoon. Many coming down? Family fun day was surprisingly decent last year for both sets of fans!

You might find a few Saints fans a bit overly emotional tomorrow. Many have got EXTREMELY upset we have not brought in a striker this week. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

So what happens if we fail with dunnes red card? does that get added onto the current suspension? I there an additional suspension for being sent off in 2 games in a row?

God i feel depressed over a game that were weren't even that bad in for the first 60 mins. I wonder who robinsons going to react to this.  We need better discipline than this

Edit: 

There are going to appeal both Carsons and Dunnes red cards.

WTF?

Edited by Phillips455

Carson looks a bit suspect. That sending off was criminal and thought his kicking was pretty poor. Liked the look of your team generally today though, particularly Rose who was wasn't far away from putting in some fantastic crosses in the first half.

13 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Carson looks a bit suspect. That sending off was criminal and thought his kicking was pretty poor. Liked the look of your team generally today though, particularly Rose who was wasn't far away from putting in some fantastic crosses in the first half.

Weirdly, Carson's been very decent thus far and his distribution has actually been one of his best qualities. In another plot twist, of all the new signings Rose has been one that there's been a degree of doubt about from the certain sections of the support who feel compelled to have a player to single out as *shite*. I've actually thought Rose looked fairly decent and him getting off the mark is a small bright spot in amongst today's absolute shitemare.

Next Saturday is absolutely crucial for us now and although I wouldn't use the term 'must win' this early in the season, we really could do with winning given we've had two defeats back to back in the league. 

The early signs are worrying for us as for all I think we now have a team with a lot more bottle and will to win about them than we had last year, we just don't have goals in us and continue to be very sloppy at the back. You could make the case for us being unlucky last week against Rangers but in truth we were fortunate not to be 3-0 down inside the first half an hour before getting ourselves level, but I really thought we shot ourselves in the foot with poor finishing and dreadful attacking play in the final third. I wasn't there today but from the sounds of things we were in the game and possibly on top in the first half yet couldn't make it count and found ourselves 2-0 down before a complete collapse in the second half. 

I said it last week but a frontline of Tanner, Fisher and Bowman just won't do for us as they aren't clinical enough and we seriously need to work in our distribution and forward play or else we will seriously struggle for goals and points this season.

Edited by MJC

On 22/06/2017 at 08:42, Casagolda said:

Heck of a nice guy apparently but an awful, awful footballer.

Slow, can't defend and seems to have no positional sense or defensive awareness whatsoever. Absolutely mystifying how he's played for Scotland right through the age groups and even made into the Celtic first team reckoning.

Good luck with that.

On 22/06/2017 at 08:56, capt_oats said:

Ha. Hahahahaha... Hahaahahahaha.

There aren't many positives with SuperJoe. He's slow, he can't mark and is incapable of putting in a tackle. He's just not very good at football. By all accounts he's a nice guy though, so that's something I suppose. His call up to the Scotland u21 side last season was, putting it mildly, inexplicable.

On 22/06/2017 at 09:13, capt_oats said:

As thisGRAEME says, just enjoy the Joe Chalmers experience.

You lads were spot on. Joe Chalmers is absolutely f**king shite. He was at fault for about 26 of the goals Dunfermline scored against us yesterday.

21 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Weirdly, Carson's been very decent thus far and his distribution has actually been one of his best qualities. In another plot twist, of all the new signings Rose has been one that there's been a degree of doubt about from the certain sections of the support who feel compelled to have a player to single out as *shite*. I've actually thought Rose looked fairly decent and him getting off the mark is a small bright spot in amongst today's absolute shitemare.

That was the best I've seen Rose play thus far and if he continues in such a manner he could be an asset and make many, myself included, eat their words. Was powerful, covered every blade of grass and made some terrific forward runs into the box and forced Mannus into two decent saves on top of the one he did score. McHugh on the other hand was below par again, compounded by a stupid red card for two ridiculous challenges. The 2nd one especially, he could argue he got some of the ball but the game was gone at that stage and now he'll miss a big game next week because of a moment of madness flying into a tackle he didn't need to make. 

Yesterday kind of summed up where we are for me, we dominated the first 20 mins but barely registered a shot meanwhile Saints were literally in our final third twice and got two clear sights of goal and scored them both. We had plenty of the ball but without Frear and Tanner we were devoid of any real pace or guile and without an on form Moult we were without a quality striker up top. No surprise our goal and two other best chances came from set pieces as we looked a bit devoid of quality in the final third. 

Felt sorry for Fisher though as I feel he could be a useful target man if played through the middle but has been given the graveyard shift recently like John Sutton back in the day of playing on the left wing. He's not going to be a 20 goal a season striker but I feel he could chip in with a similar amount to Skippy last season, 8-10 goals or so but as we saw against Rangers his physical presence and link up play made a huge difference when he came on. As for Bowman, I like the guy as he's all effort and he can cause problems but sadly he just lacks the quality required at this level. Hoped he'd kick on from pre-season but that's now what, 1 goal against full time opposition from open play in nearly a year at the club? Not good enough sadly and I think yesterday emphasizes the need for another quality striking addition. 

As for the defending, very poor for the first three goals yesterday. We allowed O'Halloran and Scougall inside onto their stronger side far too easily and were ultimately punished. I like Tait as he's got a good engine and is excellent going forward but the guy's a worse defender than Josh Law and seems to get half the amount of abuse he did. I noticed in the paper yesterday that Robinson tried and failed to sign Paul McGinn formerly of Dundee recently, which maybe suggests he's not overly enamored with some of his defending either.