Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Put a hold on that McGinley suspension. The commentary in the Rangers game just said the yellow limit increased to 12 this weekend so Mcginley won't get a ban

Yeah it did seemingly, Liam Gordon is at 6 but hasn't been suspended for it.

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Put a hold on that McGinley suspension. The commentary in the Rangers game just said the yellow limit increased to 12 this weekend so Mcginley won't get a ban

I seem to remember last year there was a cut off point, 6 yellows = a ban before a certain number of games played then it extends out to 12.

It saves Mcginley but Van Veen is on his way to 12 for presumably a 2 match ban.

24 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Alexander managed a point against Rangers when he was week in the door with Sherwin Seedorf and Robbie Crawford starting but he doesn't seem to have a clue what to do at home to the OF now. I can see why the diamond maybe suits our midfielders but KVV can't play as a lone striker with no wingers.

He managed a point at Ibrox earlier in the season anaw.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

He managed a point at Ibrox earlier in the season anaw.

Yeah I was thinking specifically at Fir Park. We broadly seem to do alright away somehow, 2-1 and 1-0 at Parkhead and that point at Ibrox IIRC? Maybe easier to maintain defensive discipline in Glasgow for whatever reason.

23 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Yeah I was thinking specifically at Fir Park. We broadly seem to do alright away somehow, 2-1 and 1-0 at Parkhead and that point at Ibrox IIRC? Maybe easier to maintain defensive discipline in Glasgow for whatever reason.

We seemed to go wildly off the rails at Fir Park around the point Robinson decided to start "trying to play football" and it's really just been a continuation since then. It's been mentioned before but Robinson was unbeaten (without actually winning) against Rodgers at FP - 1-1, 0-0 and 1-1 (with a 2-2 against Rangers in 17/18 as well).

Even the 3-3 against Rangers at FP was still a 'Thunderdome' era result. The 0-3 against them at FP later that season was when we'd switched to 433.

Since 19/20 the results at FP have been:

Robinson:
10/08/19: 2-5 - Celtic
15/12/19: 0-2 - Rangers
05/02/20: 0-4 - Celtic
27/09/20: 1-5 - Rangers
08/11/20: 1-4 Celtic

Alexander:
17/01/21: 1-1 Rangers
16/10/21: 0-2 Celtic
31/10/21: 1-6 Rangers
06/02/22 - 0-4 Celtic

*sigh*

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

Since 19/20 the results at FP have been:
Robinson:
10/08/19: 2-5 - Celtic
15/12/19: 0-2 - Rangers
05/02/20: 0-4 - Celtic
27/09/20: 1-5 - Rangers
08/11/20: 1-4 Celtic
Alexander:
17/01/21: 1-1 Rangers
16/10/21: 0-2 Celtic
31/10/21: 1-6 Rangers
*sigh*

Want a bag of cans and Michael Higdon back.

I thought we were poor in defence for the 1st couple of goals. Donnelly doing an impression of mannequin was indeed impressive.

But 5-0 Rangers v Hearts a team with twice our budget sadly puts it all into perspective…..

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

He was hopeless at marking today but I’m willing to cut Carroll some slack. He hasn’t played that position in about 6 months. He’s done himself no favours for a start at Tannadice.

He should be kicked out the door. He downed tools in the first half hour. He is the definition of slack that needs cutting

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

*sigh*

giphy.gif

I prefer the posts where she's eating the apple.

Said to my friend, they just continued on from Wednesday night except they faced a team that is valued at £4/5m tops opposed to £100m, seems we got our shite for a bargain.

That was a bit unfair to especially Kelly. Cornelius & Tierney pissing in the wind against a rampant Celtic and I can't fault Slattery's effort, he came off looking like he'd been down a mine. I even gave McGinley kudos for some of his play in the first half. If Dean is dropped again for the next game then he would my sympathy for losing his shit.

I was a big proponent for Carroll replacing McGinley, multiple games now and not once stepped up, seems Grezza did see it in training. All today have proven that our LB position is chronic and should have been a top priority in the window. As for the other wing, I noticed it more during the first half as I was in the Main Stand but both SOD and Slattery didn't seem to work out out was on Taylor and who was getting Maeda. Suppose that's to be expected when it's used for the first time against the form team in the country, Alexander can take a bit of the blame.

Greg Taylor is an angry wee munchkin, Giakoumakis & CCV look like they should be outside the Palace in dickiebows and leather jackets.

Shitey run only made possible to swallow by Dundee Utd, Aberdeen and Hibs all equally shite.

For me at present our best team is:

----------- Kelly ------------

SOD -- Bevis -- Sol -- McGinley

-- Cornelius - Slattery - Goss --

----------- Tierney ----------

--------- KVV - Woolery ------

4 of those names are put in grudgingly because we haven't anyone better, so I'm inclined to go, "f**k it" and put in Nirenhold, Roberts, Efford in and re-register Stevie Hammell.

(NB is the Palace still a thing?)

Edited by Kapowzer

6 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I prefer the posts where she's eating the apple.

Said to my friend, they just continued on from Wednesday night except they faced a team that is valued at £4/5m tops opposed to £100m, seems we got our shite for a bargain.

That was a bit unfair to especially Kelly. Cornelius & Tierney pissing in the wind against a rampant Celtic and I can't fault Slattery's effort, he came off looking like he'd been down a mine. I even gave McGinley kudos for some of his play in the first half. If Dean is dropped again for the next game then he would my sympathy for losing his shit.

I was a big proponent for Carroll replacing McGinley, multiple games now and not once stepped up, seems Grezza did see it in training. All today have proven that our LB position is chronic and should have been a top priority in the window. As for the other wing, I noticed it more during the first half as I was in the Main Stand but both SOD and Slattery didn't seem to work out out was on Taylor and who was getting Maeda. Suppose that's to be expected when it's used for the first time against the form team in the country, Alexander can take a bit of the blame.

Greg Taylor is an angry wee munchkin, Giakoumakis & CCV look like they should be outside the Palace in dickiebows and leather jackets.

Shitey run only made possible to swallow by Dundee Utd, Aberdeen and Hibs all equally shite.

4 of those names are put in grudgingly because we haven't anyone better, so I'm inclined to go, "f**k it" and put in Nirenhold, Roberts, Efford in and re-register Stevie Hammell.

(NB is the Palace still a thing?)

Pretty much agree with all of this to be honest. 

It's hard to look past the actual individual things that have and haven't happened in the last few games since the winter break, but in the cold light of Monday, my expectation was probably 

* 4 pts from Ross County/St Mirren - we got 1 pt. 

* 0 pts from Hearts/Hibs/Celtic - we got 1 pt

* Beat Morton and qualify - We did.

So, overall I'd say I'm pretty 'meh' about the whole thing with a smidge of 'we need to do better' all over the place 

I guess with this season, more than ever due to the way we play and set up, and the way the fixtures are, it's a season for reflection and taking a step back from stuff rather than panicking as a run of 4/5 bad-ish results doesn't mean it's all lost. 

Our last 5 games of the season should see us in the top 6. If we can get something from Dundee U/Aberdeen/Rangers before then then all the better. 

6 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I’m not really sure what our best team is at the minute but I’m almost certain that Ojala should be in it. 

Chuck him in there and I wouldn’t be upset to see that team start at Tannadice. 

Im allowing myself to feel okay about all this by remembering that there's absolutely no way a club at our level is going to go a full season without having a dip in form for a while and a spell of the season where we're shite. Happy that we got points on the board early so that we can cope with it, and reminding myself that we will come out of it at some point. The way things are going (thanks everyone else for being equally shite at the exact same time), we've got a decent chance of coming out of it, still in 4th with our shitey spell behind us ready to kick on for the rest of the season approaching the split and still in the Cup.

I'm 100% convinced now that this is poor form as opposed to us being shite.