Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On the European stuff, I'd rather we were playing in Europe than not. Not least because assuming we've qualified via the league it predicates a good league position prior.

That said @Swello's post on the previous page largely sums up where I am in terms of being enthusiastic about "competing" in Europe. Fact is that the tournaments have been carved up and diluted to the point that it is what it is; generally we'll perform to our seeding and that'll be that.

It's a very different landscape now compared to how it was as someone in their early teens with games and the novelty of fixtures against Katowice and Dortmund.

I'm also one of those arseholes with the view that the qualifiers aren't the tournament proper.

So aye, qualifying for Europe is definitely something we should be targeting and aspiring towards but there's a certain reality about what happens when we actually get there.

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

This is where KVV will be missed, running around asking the United players if it was their bird getting shagged.

More like KVV would be saying “I shagged yer burd, hope you can explain a ginger wean”

7 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Michael Devlin. Worth a shot after his injury hit spell at Aberdeen? Thoughts?

Hard no.

He's not kicked a ball since he got 10 minutes for Aberdeen against St Mirren on 5th December 2020. 19/20 was the last time he had a season where he played even semi-regularly.

Given Alexander made a thing of wanting players he could rely on to be fit over a season Devlin's pretty much the opposite of that.

This was his 20/21 season...

799776547_ScreenShot2022-04-29at14_38_20.thumb.png.d6cad7f13d96504a2e9f0bdfe8348d3f.png
1828244756_ScreenShot2022-04-29at14_38_46.thumb.png.887da92c817050bebcd582b5483d24cd.png
1196120205_ScreenShot2022-04-29at14_39_01.thumb.png.a51516dee20bd4db69d76d7874297cad.png

Edited by capt_oats

Regarding Europe…. The Mypa and Stjarnan results were embarrassing disgraces but apart from those I don’t think we were expected to beat any of the teams that put us out. Odense was gutting as we were really unlucky. 

I never really minded getting pumped out of Europe by bigger and better teams as for me the benefit of playing in Europe was it meant we’d had a decent/excellent season prior to that. 

It’s mental to think it is still possible to qualify for Europe despite us being the worst Motherwell side in living memory!

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hard no.

He's not kicked a ball since he got 10 minutes for Aberdeen against St Mirren on 5th December 2020. 19/20 was the last time he had a season where he played even semi-regularly.

Given Alexander made a thing of wanting players he could rely on to be fit over a season Devlin's pretty much the opposite of that.

This was his 20/21 season...

799776547_ScreenShot2022-04-29at14_38_20.thumb.png.d6cad7f13d96504a2e9f0bdfe8348d3f.png
1828244756_ScreenShot2022-04-29at14_38_46.thumb.png.887da92c817050bebcd582b5483d24cd.png
1196120205_ScreenShot2022-04-29at14_39_01.thumb.png.a51516dee20bd4db69d76d7874297cad.png

I always feel there's a chance with these players who get a a bit 'unlucky' you could win a watch. It's wether it is unlucky or injury proneness (sp) and how it's affected him for sure. Gamble no doubt.

5 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I always feel there's a chance with these players who get a a bit 'unlucky' you could win a watch. It's wether it is unlucky or injury proneness (sp) and how it's affected him for sure. Gamble no doubt.

Aye, I mean you look at Charlie Dunne and he seems to have been largely injury free at St Mirren this season but in Devlin's case IIRC he was actually injured when he signed for Aberdeen from Accies and has pretty much been a sicknote since.

I think you can maybe get away with taking a chance on someone off the back of one long term injury but when you've got someone who's not kicked a baw in 2 years and wasn't exactly injury free before that it's a tough sell.

Aye, Devlin's a decent player if he can stay fit, but that's looking more and more to be a very big if.

Think he's at the stage whereby, if he wants to stay at the top level he'd need to be willing to accept a pretty modest wage until he could prove himself fitness wise, or some kind of pay as you play deal. Not sure he's one we'd be looking at though.

I noticed that Burrows had replied to one of his reply guys that the ST launch would be soon and that they were working on a few "technical" points.

Given it's fair to say STs are likely to be a tough sell this summer I wondered if there was a chance of us looking at making some signings that might shift some STs, we've never really been a "marquee signing" sort of club but other than Louis Moult rocking back up on a promise that he'd come round to every ST holder for tea who'd actually (realistically) get people back on board.

(Mikey Devlin probably isn't one. No offence to Mikey)

I'm absolutely up for ushering in a Showtime era of ML1 Galacticos btw.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Michael Devlin. Worth a shot after his injury hit spell at Aberdeen? Thoughts?

This is the most Steelmen Online post I've ever seen on a P&B Motherwell thread.  Horrific.