Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:
Said on twitter anaw but their must be years where we haven't had 4 pens all season but we've had them in about 8 games at this point.

Two of them have been travesties to be fair.

"Evens itself blah blah blah" etc

Look at my atrocious use of their, ffs

Edited by Busta Nut

15 hours ago, Blink182 said:

If the power of the thread is now being used predominantly for former players can we bring back Lionel as well as Louis. 

Decided to check where Lionel is now. Fucking hell, he's on UK tour. 

Screenshot_2022-08-31-19-09-42-92_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I forgot what it was like to leave a game with a sense sense of enjoyment and entertainment. That was good fun last night! 

I get what others have said about the 4 goals including 2 penalties and an OG, but after 18 months of Alexanderball, I'll give the players the benefit of the doubt seeing as they've spent the last two seasons having about 2 attempts on target every game. On another night Tierney's header goes in and Rolando taps in at the back post to put even more of a shine on it. 

I thought Tierney was excellent last night, some lovely touches in the middle of the park but just a bit unfortunate when it came to the final pass/shot. Goss also played really well, and it was great to see McKinstry and Lennon make their debuts. I really hope I don't jinx this ... but were there some signs last night that the curse may have lifted?!

Thoroughly enjoyed that last night. Some of the play was a joy to watch and night and day from under Alexander. 

Second penalty was mental but it really could’ve/should’ve been 6 or 7. If Tierney could just add an end product to his excellent build up play……a joy to watch at times. 

Excited to see what McKinstry can do also. Looked really good in flashes. 

Edited by Allroy for Prez

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Said on twitter anaw but there must be years where we haven't had 4 pens all season but we've had them in about 8 games at this point.

We received 3 (THREE) penalties in the whole of last season in the league plus 1 in the SC vs Morton.

We've already had 2 in the opening 5 league games plus the 2 last night.

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, dezz said:

I get what others have said about the 4 goals including 2 penalties and an OG, but after 18 months of Alexanderball, I'll give the players the benefit of the doubt seeing as they've spent the last two seasons having about 2 attempts on target every game. 

I think a distinction needs to be drawn from the penalties we got at St Mirren and against Livi (which basically came from nothing) and what happened last night - the 2 penalties and the OG last night were all the result of excellent build up play - basically making a lower level opponent uncomfortable enough that they made an arse of it. That's totally different from what was going on under GA.

We won't get the time and space we got last night in the Premiership but as a way to show how we want to play and as a means to build confidence, last night was pretty much ideal. 

Also massively enjoyed watching Tierney last night - he's a young player and hasn't fully clicked yet but some of the touches and turns showed how clever a player he is - really want him to get there (and a couple of goals would probably stop him trying a bit too hard at times).

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I feel like we're all being vindicated in our belief that the squad was better than what we were being shown. Penney was the only player in the starting 11 last night that wasn't here under Alexander and it couldn't have been more different. 

The best reference there is probably the cup game against Morton last season - similar level of opponent to last night but a completely different approach.

16 minutes ago, Marinello said:

A heads up .

Wheels within wheels

Might not be anything but there are suggestions of Turnbull moving from Celtic today.

May have been asked before but are we due 'add ons' ?. If so, this could have a lovely bearing on our dealings today.

All of the 'add ons' as part of the initial transfer have already been met, as far as I'm aware.  Number of appearances, Scotland caps, etc.  We are still due 15% of any future transfer fee (over and above the £3.25m we sold him for), though.

I'd be amazed if he left Celtic at this point.  Yes, he's certainly not in the first choice midfield three at the moment (McGregor, Hatate, O'Riley) but with the number of games they will have this season, he'll certainly be needed.

Edited by Desp

1 minute ago, Desp said:

All of the 'add ons' as part of the initial transfer have already been met, as far as I'm aware.  Number of appearances, Scotland caps, etc.  We are still due 15% of any future transfer fee (over and above the £3.25m we sold him for), though.

I'd be amazed if he left Celtic at this point.  Yes, he's certainly not in the first choice midfield three at the moment (McGregor, Hatate, O'Riley) but with the number of games will have this season, he'll certainly be needed.

Aye - you'd think that a season playing CL football would be the final thing that he could have on his CV that would increase his value - so he could leave in January once Celtic are out of europe.