Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Midnight this Thursday 1 September.

Be nice to get a few in and a couple out before then. 

Always more fun to get 2 or 3 on board late on deadline day.  Does nothing for the nerves mind. And the meltdown if no one signs before then would be rather amusing. 

Was there not a situation one year where the window was being slammed when the 1st team bus was passing Aviemore on the way back from a midweek game against County? I think it was during McGhee's (2nd) time.

10 hours ago, well fan for life said:

The media team piling into training with a rucksack full of party hats, daft glasses and balloons is what's getting me.

I had the opposite in my head. Us missing out on signing Snodgrass because Hammell was away out with the entire backroom staff trying to find the daftest hat and glasses.  

52 minutes ago, Swello said:

Was there not a situation one year where the window was being slammed when the 1st team bus was passing Aviemore on the way back from a midweek game against County? I think it was during McGhee's (2nd) time.

It was this one. Around the time of McDonald's "back injury" and that Australian team wanting to sign him on a free.

A deal for Ciftci also fell through: 

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/15067442.fixture-re-scheduling-backfires-on-motherwell-as-mark-mcghee-blames-game-failure-to-sign-celtics-nadir-ciftci/

Edited by capt_oats

17 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Was there not that boy from Bradford we were trying to get - memories of us playing at Easter Rd under Robinson?

Aye. That was this one.

McCall pretty much confirmed it was one of his Bradford players a couple of months later. Shay McCarten I think it was?

Edited by capt_oats

If you do get another forward in, do you reckon there's a chance of Shields being moved on?

Casting my eye around Premiership squads looking at fringe centre forwards who actually have some track record of success in the Championship rather than being unproven (dozens of youngsters) or pish (Innes Cameron) at that level and he's about it.

Shields has long enough on his contract and enough pace and bustle to still count as a project or contribute off the bench imho...Efford on the other hand is ooc sooner, is a complete liability and obviously has the wanderlust so I'd prioritise getting shot of him.

14 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

If you do get another forward in, do you reckon there's a chance of Shields being moved on?

Casting my eye around Premiership squads looking at fringe centre forwards who actually have some track record of success in the Championship rather than being unproven (dozens of youngsters) or pish (Innes Cameron) at that level and he's about it.

I think a step back down is likely his next move, but he's started every game under Hammell so far so I find it hard to see him leaving this window. If he still hasn't made much of an impact by January though, aye.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

41 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I think @Handsome_Devil and @YassinMoutaouakil have got it right.

We're short up front - Hammell's been public in saying that - but the fact that Shields has started all 5 of Hammell's games in charge feels like the natural move would be to bump him down to the bench and use him as an impact sub - he's still contracted up to 2024. It really depends on who we bring in though.

To an extent it also depends on what Shields wants as well. IIRC Alexander had said that Shields had chapped his door early last season about a possible loan if he wasn't going to get game time and GA basically told him he was in his plans and he'd get his chance and tbf, he was true to his word.

And with that...Rolando's back.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Take Efford and Morris.

Please.

Cheers all for the responses.

As for Efford, I realise the description could fit Shields as a Premiership player as well but I'm not sure I can deal with another "can play anywhere across the front three but is actually pish at centre forward" type.

I think rather than anywhere across the front three, Shields can actually play nowhere across the front three. He's certainly not a winger and I don't think he's a number 9 in that system either.

I think he can only play off a main striker in a front two, but it's certainly not worth changing our style to try and work that out. 

He's obviously unlikely to leave if he's started every game, but I'm less convinced about him having an impact with us each week.

58 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Take Efford and Morris.

Please.

I mean, being serious, with McKinstry and Aarons in and Spittal and Shields having started most weeks until now that's Efford and Morris 100% shoved into the "fringe" category.

Edited by capt_oats