Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

In all honesty I think most of our defensive issues are coming from our midfield being incredibly soft.

Doesn't help that we're constantly giving the ball away and putting ourselves under pressure so much.

Also the extreme lack of depth doesn't help.

Van Veen is getting some absolute pelters online and I know he can be frustrating but as it's been said there is no one there to replace him and he's clearly playing through an injury as well.

For me, basically it's a weird conundrum of

- We've lost 7 of the last 10 games but I think we could have had something from all of them. A positive.

- We lack genuine solid quality up top and at the back both starting 11 and squad, for multiple reasons (injury, lack of recruitment due to baked in contracts from GA's time). A negative.

- We, by in large,  are making a good number of chances but either not putting them away, or we are getting into good positions but not doing the business and converting. We are also defending fairly well for 90% of the game then the mistakes are biggies and all seem to be resulting in goals. 

For me, until we can get players in, a wee tactical tweak is needed to try and protect defence and link midfield to attack better. Slattery and Goss are sitting midfielders currently but not protecting or Lin ok linking the attack well.

I'd probably move to a 4-1-2-3 rather than the 4-2-3-1 we play . One sitting midfielder with two in front, and drop the no. 10 role as I don't think anyone really even plays it that well in the squad.  Just for a bit more stability...hopefully.

Edited by eliphas

Something has to change and fast , whether that’s tactics and bodies coming in, otherwise this is the year we finally go down. We are carrying too many players that simply aren’t good enough. 

By the way, Van Veen is an absolute disgrace for squaring up to Penney like that. If only he’d shown that much urgency during the game…..

KVV with an all timer of a shite performance today. Coupled with wanting a square up to Penney he's had a howler.

I'm assuming, to the surprise of nobody with a brain, Moult is ultra fucked and isn't going to be available any time soon. Hopefully between this World Cup break and January's window we can find someone to play up front.

I feel for Hammell. Fucked by injuries and stuck with some of Alexander's honking signings.

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'm assuming, to the surprise of nobody with a brain, Moult is ultra fucked and isn't going to be available any time soon. Hopefully between this World Cup break and January's window we can find someone to play up front.

534875164_ScreenShot2022-10-22at21_04_51.thumb.png.908ed7596cb6838da6d73141c4fd73aa.png

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Former player? Free agent? Played with Hammell? Mutuals with Burrows on Twitter dot com?

Bring him home...:lol:

1313996524_ScreenShot2022-10-22at21_19_30.thumb.png.8125695ca57390d1c2d1657ecc1f6b81.png

Seem to remember he scored the majority of his goals away from home, works for me

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

10 goals by early Oct. Gets pelters. Amazing.

Said the same today. I've got loads of time for Van Veen to be honest and I can forgive him skulking about especially given the service he gets. I get it when people moan but they all seem to just disregard the great bits of play over the season and 10 goals.

He really really needs a break and rest but there literally is no one else. Hopefully playing through the shoulder injury doesn't turn it into a problem longer term 

Edited by eliphas

I think we have a problem in that Van Veen gets frustrated by those around him, and those around him get frustrated by Van Veen. There doesn’t seem to be that natural chemistry between anyone playing up top, and the chances created recently seem to be by chance rather than design. 

Joe Efford coming into a good game is the one exception here. I don’t think we can underestimate how badly he’s missed just now. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Former player? Free agent? Played with Hammell? Mutuals with Burrows on Twitter dot com?

Bring him home...:lol:

1313996524_ScreenShot2022-10-22at21_19_30.thumb.png.8125695ca57390d1c2d1657ecc1f6b81.png

Highest goals to game ratio of his career with us. We’re the obvious choice. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

KVV with an all timer of a shite performance today. Coupled with wanting a square up to Penney he's had a howler.

What sparked that? Or was Penney having a go after KVV’s pass back?

13 minutes ago, CoF said:

Joe Efford coming into a good game is the one exception here. I don’t think we can underestimate how badly he’s missed just now. 

The thought of anyone uttering such a statement on here only a month ago would make you think they were at the wind-up or the tonguiest of tongue in cheek one liners.

Efford being decent is the new normal.

As for KVV, the spat with Penney was due. He's a big greedy gallus dick and I think Penney voiced what many of the rest of those who have been left with their hands in the air looking for a cut back or square ball of late. Didn't expect Penney to look as scolded hurt as he did when Kev turned on him though.

Need to tighten up at the back, the stat Oats conveyed is not pretty. I've been an advocate for a back 5 since McGinn was secured, shipping two goals a game every week suggests it needs looked at at least.

Another week where a team needing a result shows up and gets one.

26 minutes ago, ropy said:

What sparked that? Or was Penney having a go after KVV’s pass back?

It was after that, Kev loitered with the ball in the box with Penney powering on from deep, from memory it was wasted and Penney gave him what for.

KVV had the ball at the edge of the box and Penney was SCREAAAAAMING at him that he was about to overlap through onto the keeper with a simple ball slid to the left. KVV has a "worst goals to shots ratio in the history of the universe" trophy to win though, so he just ignored him and Penney went fucking mental.